Quantcast

finding rattles

Guest Lenny

I have made a continued effort sinse I bought my Trooper to find and eliminate rattles. No matter how hard I looked, there were some that I just couldn't find. I tried something the other day and it worked quite good. I used a large rubber hammer and thumped it against the frame in various places. Two of the biggest rattles that I failed to find before, I found easily. The rubber hammer thumping of the frame works really good to find rattles. I think that last rattle was number 9,228. :lol::lol:

Lenny

I have made a continued effort sinse I bought my Trooper to find and eliminate rattles. No matter how hard I looked, there were some that I just couldn't find. I tried something the other day and it worked quite good. I used a large rubber hammer and thumped it against the frame in various places. Two of the biggest rattles that I failed to find before, I found easily. The rubber hammer thumping of the frame works really good to find rattles. I think that last rattle was number 9,228. :lol::lol:

Lenny

So, where are they, specifically????? :rolleyes::P:lol::blink:

Most of my rattles were in the storage walls under the seats. The flat sheet metal is spot wielded every 6" or so leaving the area in between rattling against the square tubing. I used a ton of silicon sealer. Every edge in the cockpit was sealed along with the area behind the seats (the hood/storage above the engine). I now have NO rattles, surpizingly quiet.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

The big one I couldn't find turned out to be the sheet aluminum plenum between the fan and the radiator. I caulked the fan to it and it to the radiator. That one's gone. Like rocmoc sujested, I had one body panel that rattled a lot. I checked it before but it didn't rattle until I used the rubber hammer. The vertical panel below the front of the seats needs caulking, it will rattle, As a matter of fact, I have caulked all my panels, everywhere and it helped a lot. Some rattles are harder to fix, like the clutch and gas pedals. They shake side to side rattling. I put nylon bushings in mine. The rack and pinion will make a lot of banging noise if it isn't worked on. Just thump the frame everywhere and you will find rattles. Maybe I'll add the areas that rattle to the pinned thread. How about everyone else pitch in as to where they found clunks and rattles, I'll make a check list for Trooper owners.

Lenny

I was only kidding as I thought there would be too many to list, that it would be easier to list where it didn't rattle, who knew? :blink::rolleyes::P:lol:

But thanks, The best silencing act I did was to put an exhaust muffler on, thanks to Lenny, it came off a Harley and sounds great, I just love it. Need to get it in the photo section, chrome with black and pretty. Think I'm close to done with the control device for my power steering. Needs testing, as soon as I get this cast off my foot, hopefully Monday.

Kinarfi

• 4 weeks later...

I've found and have elminated lots of rattles. The problem is that they seem to go on endlessly. At first, I wanted to get rid of the really noisy rattles which I did. Now that that is done, I'm listening closer, being more critical. Seems that for every loud rattle I eliminate, I now hear two smaller rattles. I eliminate those and then I hear four even smaller rattles. The process continues.

Lenny

AND as the rattles get quieter, you can here all the noise in the engine & trans. Then you can worry if something is going wrong instead of it's just a rattle.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Just like the stock market, as we proceed to improve our Troopers, we climb a wall of worry.

Lenny

Just like the stock market, as we proceed to improve our Troopers, we climb a wall of worry.

Lenny

My Dad always said,"Ain't no sense worrying about it, ain't nothing gonna turn out alright anyway!" So I learned not to get too worried, and now, with having cheated death and being messed with lots of time to kill, I just don't worry too much about much of anything.

BE HAPPY :):lol::D:rolleyes:

xcept money :unsure::(