Quantcast

Baja, anyone upf for it?

rocmoc

Beautiful country. Wonderful video. Thanks for that.

I really miss the Sonora and Baja trips we used to make - San Felipe, Ensenada. Even Rocky Point has some offroad adventure (Rocky Point to El Golfo, started a few times, never finished!). Been going that way regularly for 35 years, but have not ventured that way for 18 months or so. I hope the problems south of the border diminish to a tolerable level soon.........

Randy

• 6 months later...

How did I miss this post earlier this year.

We too are missing our trips to Mexico. I have even stopped putting Mexico in my signature. Doesn't look like it has gotten any better in the six months since your post.

We haven't been down for 1 !/2 years now. They just changed the requirements for bring a RV into Mexico that was the last straw. They now require a permit for an RV in all locations even the free zones with a deposit of $200 - $400. Will have to see what happens with the winter season of RVers. Maybe enough protest and drop in numbers to bring the Mexican Gov around. I have no desire to travel far South with the trouble Mexico is having but would still go the the locations you have named.

rocmoc n AZ

You scared me with the permit stuff, I think for the type of trip I would make there is no permit/import fee required. I copied this from a Mexican Insurance site:

Article Summary

• Banjercito - Mexico's Banco Nacional del Ejército Fuerza Aérea y Armada - is the government authority who issues vehicle permits.
  • NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA OR ROCKY POINT.
  • Vehicle import permits are needed if you travel outside of Baja or outside the border zones (generally further than 16 miles from the border) or outside the permit-free zones of Sonora.
  • Looking for a Sonora Only permit? Read our article: Sonora Only Vehicle Permits
  • Vehicle permits may be obtained thru Banjercito's online process, at a Banjercito office at the border or at certain Mexican Consulates (listed below).
  • Don't forget your Mexican insurance policy. Quick quote and buy online instantly.

I am 'tentatively' planning on attending the BAJA 250 in San Felipe this coming March (as a spectator this time). I have my fingers crossed that everthing goes smoothly.

Randy

There has been a Major change in the rules for crossing the border within the last month. Last word is ONLY cars & empty pickups are allowed into the free zone & only Sonora zone. Everything else requires a permit which is not a problem but the deposit ranges from $200 to $400 for each permit. If I take my motorhome, bike & trooper South, that would be a min of $600 in deposits and could be $1200 at the max. You are suppose to get it back when you leave and turn in your permits but it MEXICO. We, a group of us, are working with contacts in Mexico to get this clarified or changed. It maybe after the Canadians & USA Snowbirds start trying to head South this winter before the S**t hits the fan. Many RVers on other sites are upset. One such site is rv.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25286128.cfm

UPDATE, Just read the most recent post and now a permit may not be required. If you have traveled in Mexico, this can change 10 times in the same day. Will have to wait until someone actually tries to cross.

rocmoc n AZ

Very disappointing! There are quite enough uncertainties about travelling south without adding that as well. I will keep an eye on it, but I am a little nervous about committing time and money to put together a trip for the 3 or 4 groups (family and friends) that want to go down there........

Maybe things will get clearer soon. I really want to poke around out in the desert of Baja. As you know, it is a special environment. I compare the feeling of solitude and 'connectedness' (?) to the feeling I get at Glamis, way out away from it all in the dunes.

Thank goodness you made me aware! I would hate to have been blindsided.

Randy

• 2 months later...

Just returned from a week at Rocky Point. It was fantastic, no problems of any kind. Felt as safe as I could be (I am always a little 'careful' in Mexico). The border crossing at Lukeville was uneventful both directions (except the US side entry gates are still too narrow for my Motorhome!).

I would have to say Puerto Penasco is 'A - Okay' and just the same as it always was. There was not as much traffic or crowds because of the economy or the cartel stuff or both. Sun sand and cerveza was as good as ever.

I am now planning a trip to San Felipe for the BAJA 250 in March.

• 1 month later...

We flew in & did the southern tip of Baja last year, La Pas South. We have flown in many times to Southern Baja but have never done the North. We have RV'd many time on the mainland so this is just completing an item on the Bucket List. Also have many friends that live on the way down and will stop to visit. They all say there is some good off-roading near them hence the reason the Trooper is going. We will cross at Tecate, Yup where the beer is brewed. Still lots of time for someone to go with us. We have been to some great Holiday Parties in the RV parks of Mexico.

rocmoc n AZ