Quantcast

Carb parts?

huunz

I got sand or dirt in the carb at Pismo last weekend, making it run poorly, so I took it apart and cleaned it. The accelerator pump diaphragm curled up as i took it apart, but i thought i got it all back together correctly. I must have torn it somehow, as now it leaks. Where do I get the little parts for the carb? I've got the 650 Sand Spider, 2 cylinder, one barrel side draft carb.

I got sand or dirt in the carb at Pismo last weekend, making it run poorly, so I took it apart and cleaned it. The accelerator pump diaphragm curled up as i took it apart, but i thought i got it all back together correctly. I must have torn it somehow, as now it leaks. Where do I get the little parts for the carb? I've got the 650 Sand Spider, 2 cylinder, one barrel side draft carb.

Hi

Thear are no parts around to fix this.I can not find any and joyner never sold parts to rebuild it.We some times use a solex carb.But we had to fab a new base to make it fit.I ran good but it was a lot of work.Wait till some more come in stock.Maybe you can find a carb rebuilder he may have some thing

Silverbullet

Hi

Thear are no parts around to fix this.I can not find any and joyner never sold parts to rebuild it.We some times use a solex carb.But we had to fab a new base to make it fit.I ran good but it was a lot of work.Wait till some more come in stock.Maybe you can find a carb rebuilder he may have some thing

Silverbullet

I found a place called "Fast Freddy's" in Santa Ana. They make a two barrel Weber side draft carb setup for the 650 Sand Spider. It isn't cheap, but it comes complete with every part needed to fit the Weber in your Joyner buggy, and forever eliminate the goofy Joyner carb setup. They also will modify your header for better output, or tell you how to do it yourself at a local muffler shop. When the parts come in I'll try and do a report on how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Fast Freddie's has a header solution, as well. I got the instructions, and figured out how to build my own. Here's the start - a 2" 90* mandrel bend and a 2" straight piece. I'll take out the original collector and put this in its place.

post-800-0-42980500-1300946144_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a kit from a place called 6 Sigma Racing, off of eBay. Stay away! They sent me a few sheets of paper with various random non-applicable carb tuning tips, a bad copy of some service manual drawing for a carb other than the one I have (2 barrel vs. one barrel), three jets and four tiny drill bits. The photos and drawings depicted drilling out the pilot jets, but I don't know on what carb. When i tried to contact them, no response, so I filed a complaint with eBay, and then they got all nasty..... He said he'd refund my money if i sent it back, but no such thing happened. Beware!

What happened to parts from fast Freddie?

They haven't come yet. Apparently, the parts were not all on the shelf, some had to be made, such as the manifold, which he said they machine from aluminum. The 6 Sigma parts were before the Fast Freddie order, and they obviously weren't going to work, or more accurately, they weren't gong to reply to my questions, so I kept looking. Interesting thing, when I moved the buggy from the carport to in front of the garage to work on the suspension while waiting for the carb, the accelerator pump didn't leak fuel. Self repair? IDK, but that doesn't mean I trust it. Weber will be better.

The parts came from Fast Freddies last week. Nice Weber DCOE 45, and a couple of manifolds to adapt it to the Joyner head. 45 is huge relative to the ports in the head, but i didn't feel like pulling the head to do a porting job. The gaskets are hand made, and not what I would put on, so I didn't. I modified the provided gaskets for full flow, made a few other changes, and got it mostly hooked up. Still need to plug the water hole where Joyner had coolant running through the manifold.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Even to we are not much help with you Joyner we still like to know what you had to do to repair.

rocmoc n AZ/CA

I don't know if it is repair, or preemptive upgrades :rolleyes: When i put in the rear Airshox, the upper end had to be on the beltline frame rail, and based upon the fine work i found on the control arms, I figured it was easier to tie the new spring/shock mount across to transfer the loads before I bent the dickens out of the whole frame. The header upgrade was simply changing the collector pipe out for the size that the math called for. The amazing thing is that the Joyner muffler was also 2.0", which was the size the collector should have been, and they put a swedge adapter in place to change the pipe from the 1.5" to the 2.0" just before the muffler. I had to move my muffler anyway to clear the new shock location, so changing the pipe size at the same time was a no brainer.

As to the carb, I'm in the process of changing tires out (the Joyner wheels no longer fit the frame with the new shocks) so i can take it for a spin without paddles, which could be upsetting the float level and causing my carb tuning issues. Then I'll check the floats, if that doesn't change anything.

• 2 weeks later...

The parts came today, I put them in in about 10 minutes (less than half a beer) and with the right jets that buggy screams! Not as fast as my RZR, but a very nice ride. I did some bad bumps, and the Airshox in the rear are much smoother than the stock coil overs in the front. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned Nick,I assume he is with Fast Freddys.They are only 8 or 10 miles from me,gonna have to get over there one of these days.

Yes, the guy on the other end of the phone at the Fast Freddie's number is Nick.

There were three things I had to change - the main jets, the air mixer jets, and the tube that holds the jet assembly. The funny thing was, the jets had to be reduced in size dramatically. I would have thought that bigger jets would go faster, but in this case, too big of jets made it slower.

Yes, the guy on the other end of the phone at the Fast Freddie's number is Nick.

There were three things I had to change - the main jets, the air mixer jets, and the tube that holds the jet assembly. The funny thing was, the jets had to be reduced in size dramatically. I would have thought that bigger jets would go faster, but in this case, too big of jets made it slower.

I assume all is well now.Good tro hear.Seems like trhey took care of you.Still want to make it over there.

• 1 month later...