Quantcast

clutch/shifter cables/diffs

charlie

hey guys,

I know we all have talked about shifter cables and so on. But I have some question maybe Im a little peronoid or over thinking it. Sometime while out driving my trooper if IM cruising down the fire roads its not smooth going to 3rd thats with the clutch pedal to the firewall. My pedal arm does hit the firewall when pressed all the way. I know its a hydrolic clutch so no adjustment there. I also noticed last night when I toook my son for a ride that when putting it back in the garage I was having a hard time shifting in general with the trooper running almost like the clutch wasnt doing its job. I have about 500 miles on it 30" zilla tires silverbullet programmer and a snorkle. Any idea I cant imagine I need a clutch at 500miles I do know how to drive stick no problem. Im hoping its an adjustment but im not sure. Im gonna lunbe all the cables and try it agin tomorrow see what happens ANYTHOUGHTS OR IDEAS I WOULD REALLY APRECIATE THANKS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is a 2009 trooper fuel tank under passenger seat. I did notice that there is a little adjustment on the slave should I try that wich way would make it better making the throow longer or shorter. Also rocmoc I was going threw all the threads on this I see a lot about upgrading the rear diffs do they brake that easly. I have changed the fluid in mine already to synthetic I do play little on rcks when needed fire roads mud and some steep hills I see silverbullets has it for 90$

My clutch did about the same thing, push in clutch all the way and hard or no shift. I found out on mine that to push the clutch in all the way to the fire wall caused the fluid to bypass inside the master cyl. I put an adjustable stop on the firewall to keep the pedal from going to far worked great. All it is was a 1/2in bolt with two nuts one was welded to the firewall and the other was used as a lock on the bolt for adjustment. You will have to drill a hole too for the bolt to go thru the firewall.

The stock 09 diffs did not have the upgrades. I have been careful with mine since 08 but am upgradeing the rear before the Jamboree and will do the front soon after. The problem is tolerances & alignment of the gear set in the diff. Lenny is a much bettter responder. He may not answer for a couple of days.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

The stock 09 diffs did not have the upgrades. I have been careful with mine since 08 but am upgradeing the rear before the Jamboree and will do the front soon after. The problem is tolerances & alignment of the gear set in the diff. Lenny is a much bettter responder. He may not answer for a couple of days.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc,

i bought my 09 with only 9 miles on it.It has the ''JOYNER" upgrade in it,no comparision to lennys.

I didn't have to bleed mine out but you will know when you try to use the clutch. Try pushing it in and hold it there for a while putting in gear and back out again. If it starts to get hard toput into gear then you may have to bleed it, but I think you will be OK. I have mine adjusted so that the pedal is about 2 to 21/2" off the floor but that is where mine works best yours may be diffierent.

Somebody else correct me if I am wrong but Joyner did not have upgraded diffs until AFTER 09 and I not sure if they every had an upgrade really. They were out of buisness by the time all the diffs started to fail.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I bought mine in December 09. I know they were still in business into Jan-Feb of 2010 because i had ordered parts from them. I went to Tempe in March of 2010 for some spring training baseball games and while there i hooked up with Casey at his house and bought parts from him and joyner had just shut down.One of the items i bought was a spare diff and it had what they are calling joyners upgrade in it.The diff in my trooper had the same..

Ok guys good advice. As far as my clutch goes I ended up putting a pedal stopper on the firewall and its like brand new shifts so much better. As far as my rear diff goes I still have worries and concerns. I havnt had any trouble yet im just trying to prevent it. I talked to rick at silverbullets he told me to take my drain fill plug out look into the diff and at the bolts I should see clips around the bolts that are hammered over if its like that I should be ok he said if I see wires on the bolts probably good idea to update. When I opened the rear diff meaning the drain plug I could see the bolts no wire and if there are clips over the bolts there well hammered over cause I thought man those heads on the bolts don't look good. Any thoughts ideas thanx everyone

Ok guys good advice. As far as my clutch goes I ended up putting a pedal stopper on the firewall and its like brand new shifts so much better. As far as my rear diff goes I still have worries and concerns. I havnt had any trouble yet im just trying to prevent it. I talked to rick at silverbullets he told me to take my drain fill plug out look into the diff and at the bolts I should see clips around the bolts that are hammered over if its like that I should be ok he said if I see wires on the bolts probably good idea to update. When I opened the rear diff meaning the drain plug I could see the bolts no wire and if there are clips over the bolts there well hammered over cause I thought man those heads on the bolts don't look good. Any thoughts ideas thanx everyone

I upgraded my spare rear diff which is a 09 last summer and it had the clips. Yes it had the clips but the tolerances were way off. The pinion gear did not align correctly on the ring gear. The upgrade was completed with Lenny so I know it is correct. Personally there is only one real upgrade and that is Lenny's. I am completing the upgrade on the matching spare front diff now with Lenny's kit. I have to install the 09 upgraded diff in my Trooper before the Jamboree and will have the front along as my spare. I will install the front diff sometime this summer. You can't just look at the clips and be assured the diff is correctly built. You have to pop the pumkin and look at the alignments & tolerances.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Ok rocmoc.

How would I get a kit from Lenny and is it like the one silverbullets sells. I think u guys all live in Arizona and I live in Plymouth ma. Im just trying to prevent an issue, you said open the diff I was looking at it if I.pull the right side axle out and take all the bolts out and the smaller side of the case off will I be able to see anything or should I take the entire diff out and open it on the bench. I don't mean to be a pain just trying to figure this out I have no issues that I know of as of now. Thanx again

You need to do a search to find the past post of the process. Either Lenny or Kinarfi posted a detail of the process in the past.

Just the short incomplete version of the process,

Pull the diff out of the Trooper

Drain oil

Remove bolts around pumpkin

Replace the drain plug

Use compress air thu the vent tube to push the pumpkin our of third member housing.

Then you can see everything.

Lenny's kit comes with detail instructions. He just sold the last of his kits but he may be able to put another one together or encouraged to make another batch. It is the same Lenny that is on this forum.

It should be noted that I have been running my '08 Trooper with the original diffs now for nearly 5 years without trouble. It is one of the first 50 that did not have any of the upgrades.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Rocmoc,

So I just pm Lenny kinda explained everything to him. Told him how my trooper is set up. So you have an 08issue and just now upgraded your riffs wow!!! That makes me feel better. I told Lenny I don't do holeshots and I try to keep wheel spin to a minimum when its locked in 4I wheel all locked or just the rear diff. Only time it ever really has spun is when I have been in some loose mud Wich wouldn't put a strain on it I think. I always feather the clutch never just let it fly. So I guess in your opinion should I nag Lenny for a

kit??? Or should I relax and enjoy my trooper. Again thanx

I upgraded my spare rear diff which is a 09 last summer and it had the clips. Yes it had the clips but the tolerances were way off. The pinion gear did not align correctly on the ring gear. The upgrade was completed with Lenny so I know it is correct. Personally there is only one real upgrade and that is Lenny's. I am completing the upgrade on the matching spare front diff now with Lenny's kit. I have to install the 09 upgraded diff in my Trooper before the Jamboree and will have the front along as my spare. I will install the front diff sometime this summer. You can't just look at the clips and be assured the diff is correctly built. You have to pop the pumkin and look at the alignments & tolerances.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc,

thats what i was getting at when i refered to my 09 having joyners upgrade. I think all they did was replace the bolts and install the clips.Not at all like lennys.

sorry for the confusion I started this thread about help on my shifter cables and clutch but I believe I have that issue solved. Then I started reading all the issues with the rear diff and I havnt had any issues as of yet but If im gonna Id like to prevent it. so I am at the point were I should eathier leave it alone or hopefully get a kit from Lenny. I know silverbullets sells one but I dont know if the kit is like Lennys

until Lenny gets enough orders to build some more, go to McMaster Carr and order a box of Metric Class 12.9 alloy steel socket head cap screws with some shank on them. then cut part of the bolt off and grind the head off a little so it clears all the stuff inside, that's what I did before Lenny came up with the Kit. It will keep you from destroying a differential. It seems like the screws were 8mm fine thread, but I'm not sure about the size, but definitely fine thread.

here's what I think I got

25 8mm x 40mm 96144A227 $8.28 http://www.mcmaster..../96144A227L.GIF

I found the best way to grind the heads down was the put the bolt in a drill and spin it as you grind it on a grinding wheel.

ok Kinarfi

I will go and order that stuff just trying to prtevent an issue. I did talk to silverbullets and he asked me a couple ?? like driveshaft play and what not. I told him there wasnt much play in the driveshaft to when the wheels begin to turn andI told hime the bolts were hammered over. He said that I have the better rear end but its still a weak link and that he would not have any diff kits ,for a couple weeks. So basically what your saying is replace all the bolts in the diff with these new ones then lock tight the pin in that holds the spider gears correct. The size above is what I need is that correct??????

thank U

BUT that still does not fix the most important weak link and that is the alignment of the pinion gear to the ring gear. That takes shims that ONLY Lenny makes. If the alignment is not correct and most are not, the pinion places stress on the weaker edges fot the ring gear. Thus it BREAKS teeth OFF!!!! If you have the bolts with the clips, they should not back out. IMHO, replacing the bolts if you already have the clipped bolts is a waste of $ and time. Correct me Lenny if I am wrong but I believe I am correct.

Charlie, I am sending you a PM (Personal Message)

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I believe the bolts I listed are correct, but not absolutely certain, 99% sure though, Lenny posted the instruction for the Kit some where here and he says to also dimple the bell around the pin to help hold it in, use your best judgement as to whether to do it now or wait until you find a Kit.

Did you look at my http://travel.webshots.com/album/572841867xLhWzo pictures?

Guest Lenny

Rocmoc is correct. Anything you do will help but you are at risk until it is done properly. Gear alignment is a serious problem. If I can get enough people wanting to buy kits, I will build more. Last time, a lot of people said they wanted them but after I did a batch, only a few actually bought them. Took a lot longer to sell out then I expected. If I can get orders for 10 kits, I will go ahead and build another 40 kits. Let me know.

Lenny

Kinarfi I just looked at the pics great detail, Rocmoc and Lenny thank you!! Lenny any idea on what your kits will sell for???? I may want one for the front as well. I guess I will wait pull the diff apart once rather than twice!! Thanx a lot guys Lenny keep me updated