Quantcast

Driveshaft U-joint just exploded

Tinman

And nearly left me stranded. I was able to winch/front wheel drive out of this impossible area, but just barely.

Question: The u-joint connecting to the tranny output shaft seems welded on. Is it or can it be removed? Also, anyone fabricate a driveshaft? Replacement is cheap - $150, but I'm in Panama and there's none in stock... FYI, the front U-joint (connected to tranny) is the one that went...

Any help would be deeply appreciated...

You are the first failure of this type reported on here. Lenny did fabricate a new single piece front driveline for his Trooper. I am pretty sure it will be a day or two before he is back on here to respond. Maybe tonight!

There is just a metal tab or strap across the u-joint end, u-joint is not wield in place. You should be able to grind it off and replace u-joint and tack wield a tab back in place tho I don't believe anyone has tried. I believe Lenny may have some driveline pieces.

Hang in there,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Wow, I had not heard about a cv joint replaement. That is really interesting. It should be better all tho if they had used good quality U-joints there should not been any problems. Take a look at the seal on the output shaft of the trans where the driveling mates. It can get missed up and would be a good cheap idea to have them send you one. When I missed up my output shaft at Moab it also ate the seal.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I'm curious myself. Price is right though.

I was told by Bryan at joyner-usa that the tranny half of the u joint will pop out with a slide hammer. Will work on that this week, together with shimming and redoing the rear diff. with the ebay kit.

Thanks for the update Exile. Does this go for the front driveshaft too?

As far as I know the front is still u joint and it works fine. there is grease hole in the end caps of the joint That lots of people don't no about use a large needle on your grease gun and the joints will last a long time there is also one on centre bearing regular grease nipple may need to be modified to get any grease in it

Tinman, you need to make sure they are not sending you a rear driveline. As posted, YES the rear was upgraded to a CV-joint driveline and is a must upgrade. Thanks guys for correction in info. As I posted in my first post, a CV-joint front was new News to me!!!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks Rocmoc, I gave them the part number so it should be all good. And at $154.99, I'd imagine it is the rear - the front is much longer and likely more expensive.

I think there was a little confusion as to which driveline you were looking for. Its the rear correct? not the front.

I agree with Rick. We felt you were talking about the front. If it is the rear that failed, by all means replace it. AND you were lucky if you did not damage the engine. Past failures of the rear driveline have punched a hole in the oil pan. Count your-self lucky. Sounds like you have one of the first Troopers. Other upgrades Team Joyner provided when they were still in buisness was bigger brake rotors and a red shift cable replacement. Also sooner or later your fuel tank sending unit will fail, no real replacement. The steering rack did not come with dust covers so water & mud can get in the rack. Good idea to get some if you are going to be driving in a lot of water & mud.

Note, when I replaced my REAR dirveline I cut the steel plate under the engine off to get access. I replaced with a bolt-on aluminum plate. The early Trooper had steel plate all weild under the Trooper. Later ones had bolt-on alumium under the entire underside.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I agree with Rick. We felt you were talking about the front. If it is the rear that failed, by all means replace it. AND you were lucky if you did not damage the engine. Past failures of the rear driveline have punched a hole in the oil pan. Count your-self lucky. Sounds like you have one of the first Troopers. Other upgrades Team Joyner provided when they were still in buisness was bigger brake rotors and a red shift cable replacement. Also sooner or later your fuel tank sending unit will fail, no real replacement. The steering rack did not come with dust covers so water & mud can get in the rack. Good idea to get some if you are going to be driving in a lot of water & mud.

Note, when I replaced my REAR dirveline I cut the steel plate under the engine off to get access. I replaced with a bolt-on aluminum plate. The early Trooper had steel plate all weild under the Trooper. Later ones had bolt-on alumium under the entire underside.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Sorry about the misinfo, I thought I had mentioned it. Mine didn't come with the welded steel plate - it's all removable.

And you're right - my oil pan is dented, but not punctured. Noticed it as soon as I pulled the lower plate off.

What is 'Red shift cable'?

My steering rack has two CV style boots, square on one end. Is this the dust covers you were talking about? I'm in Panama. 8 months of the year I'm wallowing in mud :)

OK you do not have one of the early Troopers. Really surprised you driveline was not already the CV joint driveline. You should be OK. If you look at the shift cables going from the lever to the trans, one of them is red. The early cable were pulling off the end of the stops. Have not heard anyone with that problem in years so you probably have the upgraded cable. But again, I am still running my original cables but have the upgraded cables Team Joyner gave me. Yeah you were lucky with the oil pan.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico