Quantcast

Project Jeep CJ5

I have not taked much about the Jeep. I had been looking for sometime for one package, Shortie CJ5 (pre 1970 when they added about 3 inches to the front clip), V6 with the Warn overdrive. WELL, when I found her; she needed work. The guy I bought it from had just down some work on the right rear wheel bearing. He finished, drove around the yard and then headed down the dirt road. The axle came out and down on the ground the right rear went. When I got there the axle was half shoved back in the diff assembly. I jacked it up, shoved it the rest of the way in and loaded it on the trailer. There was also a LOT of other little stuff but we are going to stay with the big stuff. Could not start it as he had removed the battery but the engine was suppose to be new and it looked it. Good price so took the risk. Got it home and rolled it in the garage for when we returned from the Jamboree & Coarl Pink Sand Dunes.

Well I have been home nearly a week and the work has begun. I pulled the rear diff assembly completely and took it into the Jeep Genius of Tucson. BUT before I did that I threw a battery in to see how she runs, I didn't want to waste more money if the engine had problems. She ran beautiful. I could not have hoped for more. Took the diff in yesterday and waiting for a call. In the mean time I order new springs ( 2 1/2 inch increased lift), new shackles ( another 1 1/2 inch of lift) and new 17" alum wheels so I can run the take offs from my Dodge Ram 4X4. This is another 2 inches of lift. Bought 4 inch channel iron yesterday to build new bumpers and so I can mount the tow bar baseplates from the Ram on the front. This will allow me to use the 10,000 lb tow bar I used on the Ram to pull behind the Motorhome. I have pulled nearly 600 lbs of iron of the chassis that had been added to carry rocks, previous owner was a rockhound. She is not starting to look clean. We are going to pull her on a trip in Aug so first priorty is to get her road worthy. Later I will worry about the way she looks. Take care of the heart first and the skin later.

Just a little update and will add more later if there is interest.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little update. Rear Diff was trash, just plain wore out! This was OK as the long term plan was to go to the stronger one piece axle diff with a locker, DONE! Decided to take the front diff in and have it checked over with new seals & axle bearings installed, being done now. I have completed the new front bumper with the ablity to add the towbar base plates when needed. I also did some repair work to the frame where the springs attach since everything is pulled out. I have also started a 5/8" body lift to go along with the 2 1/2" spring & 1 1/2" shackle lift. Adding 33" x 17" tires will provide plenty of ground clearance. I have started a new rear bumper that will be stronger and will also have a tow server in the design. Will be in the bumper so nothing is hanging down below the bumper to catch on anything when out off-roading. With the body loose, I am cleaning up the frame and repainting black. This moved me to remove the front fenders to clean up some wiring and add headers, which were purchased today from Summit Racing. Took the seats in and the price to recover was too costly so will upgrade to some new seat, from craigslist! Project is coming along nicely and will be back on the road by mid-June. Not even concerned about the bodywork & paint and even considering the idea of the Rat Rod look. BUT construction starts again on the house this week so will have less time to work on the toys, bummer!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Yo Rocmoc! Glad to know you're having fun! You should move down here - Central America is full of wonderful people who are experts in selling vehicles that need to be constantly tinkered with.

I heard a few good ones this past week:

Transmission oil needs to be changed every 80,000 kms on an automatic, but never on a stick.

Oil changes should be done regularly, but there's nothing like the original filter. As in, the original oil filter doesn't need to be changed.

If your diff is making noise, put wood shavings in it to quiet it down.

10W30 is excellent tranny oil.

When changing the oil, the level should be far above the oil indicator, otherwise you'll ruin the engine.

Gasket goo makes a wonderful cyl. head gasket material. So does pretty much any other silicone.

And the best - the guy who wanted to sell me his truck with the rebuilt engine - it was in near perfect shape, according to him. When I looked, it had a 4 litre jug with gas in the engine bay feeding the carb of his once fuel injected engine, and the 'newly rebuilt' engine had NO air filter. Worse, He had just come back from some offroading thing, as proof the now 2X4 (but once 4X4) truck works excellent.

My shipment of presents arrived yesterday. Mounted 33" tires on 17" rims, the set of prior tires off my Dodge Ram 4X4; man does she look different & good. New springs arrived and compared to the old, easy 4" of more arch in the springs and much heavier shackles another 1/2 inchs longer. I am also doing a 1" body lift. All together the lifts & tires will add 6" of total lift. Also added a Detroit Locker to the rear diff. Headers are ordered and will arrive mid-June, back ordered from Summit Racing. She will be ready for the NEXT Joyner & Guest Jamboree :D !

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

New diff assemblies, springs & shackles are installed. She is sitting on her own on the 17" rims & 33" tires. Ground clearance measurements are 25" at the lowest body point, 16" at the lowest point (transfer case) under the middle and 11" under the bottom of the diffs. That is pretty good clearance without losing highway driving sablity. I will take a pic tomorrow and put it in my gallery. I am currently doing a radiator upgrade & a total rewire. I had one piece axles installed & a Detroit Locker installed in the rear diff. Called Summit Racing and the Headers are to arrive in 10 days. Going to be a little rat roddish as I have repainted and rebuild the frame and drive components but will not get the body anytime soon.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

One step backwards but three steps forward. Had the front diff installed and came across a deal. Bought a '78 Jeep CJ7 for parts. I am installing the open knuckled front diff from the '78 in my "69 CJ5. It is easier to service, a bit stronger & 3" wider. I was going to have to use 1 1/4" spacers as the wheels have a bit too much backspacing. Now the $120 from the spacers is being used to install a Detroit Tru-Trac locker in the front diff. It is nearly a full locker with a little bit of forgiving limited-slip. Also the new diff has DISC brakes. Diff will be ready in a week or two. Today the headers arrived so I can start their install. I have cut out the front cross member & added a new brace so I could install the MUCH bigger 3 core radiator from the CJ7. Work is going well BUT the finish date is pushed out. JJ, Joy the Jeep, will be ready for a Moab trip in the Fall.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 1 month later...

This is the weekend! New Dana 30 diff with disc brakes is installed. While out I installed a Detroit/Eaton Tru-Trac locker, new seals, bearings, brake pads, stainless steel brake hoses and a larger u-joint driveline. In the rear, I replaced the two piece axle Dana 44 rear end with a one piece axle Dana 44 rear end adding a Detroit/Eaton Automatic Full Locker, new seals, bearings new brake shoes and stainless steel brake hose. All this was added to a 2 1/2" leaf spring lift kit, 1 1/2" crazy heavy-duty shackle lift and a 5/8" body lift. I also built a new front bumper setup for my towbar setup and a new rear bumper with a server for pulling a trailer or carrying bikes. New 17" Pro Comp rims with the take off tires from my Ram when I put new tires on a couple of years ago. These tires are nearly 33"ers. Also added Headman Headers and the wiring harness out of the '78 CJ7 I used for parts. Also used the dash and grill which allowed me to use the bigger radiator with a electric fan upgrade from a '99 Ford. Plus lots of cleaning and changing out old hose & lights. All that is left is the wiring under the dash as I also used the steering column out of the '78, wiring on the engine and installing mufflers. I am sooooo pleased with the outcome even tho it was much more work than I had planned. All this work / mods were to a '69 CJ5. Not even worried about the body for now as I want to drive the thing. She sure pushes around the driveway GREAT, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Started her up today and my better 3/4s & I took a ride around the yard. A little louder than I want. Going to talk to the guy/shop I bought the old style glass-pack mufflers to see if I can make it less LOUD. Power steering & disc brakes work great. Checked the fans and they both work, still have to wire in. Still have more lighting wiring to do, electrical is taking time. Will have her on the road next week! What a task, way more work than I planned to do this soon after purchase! BUT everything I have done was on the list of future mods so not a waste of time.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Went by the local Speed Shop, Don's, in Tucson today to see if he had mufflers that would fit. HE DID! I got the biggest, largest & quietest Thrush Turbo mufflers that would fit. Will install tomorrow morning. I really don't like it loud when I am cruizing the outdoors. Also got the headlights, parking lights & running lights working today. Let out LOTS of air from the tires. I am running the take-offs from my Ram and they are the heaviest rated LT 17" tires you can buy, over 3500 lbs/tire. Tires had nearly 80 lbs from the shop after mounting to the rims. I air down to 16 lbs in the rear & 20 lbs in the front. Pretty sure I will be able to air-down more for the street. Of course will get in the single digits when off road.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Installed the Thrush mufflers today. Half as loud but still plenty of noise. I can't get any larger in the space available so this is it. She is quiet as you drive down the street. Yup, I drove her down the street today. I need to align the front end as she was a bit twichy. Getting closer. Also got the horn working today. Will hook up the radiator fan tomorrow, tie off the brake lines and install the last fender. A little everyday!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

Well project Jeep ran out of time for the Ouray, CO trip so will have to plan for next Aug. We got down to our departure time, trip Ouray part was stuck on to an existing buisness trip, and we had to leave. Jeep was running but too many little items/problems existing at home that can turn into BIG problems on the road so the Jeep was left behind. I also wanted to drive the Jeep around for at least a week at home before going on the road. Will get back to finishing her next week. BUT I had loaded a trailer ball mount in the Motorhome just in case I ran across a car trailer. Car trailers get cheaper as you travel towards the East. WELL, I got one. This is what I bought, http://www.kwikload.com/carhauler.htm I am so pleased as it can haul the Jeep & Motorcycle and more. I do need to rewire as the past owner did cut the wiring up a bit. I don't know what it is with people and cutting up wiring harnesses. I my 60+ years I have never had to cut up a wiring harness but it seems like everytime I purchase something with a couple of years on it, the wiring has been messed with. But that is the only neg. Has new tires and believe it or not still had an AZ title with the perm plates on it so I only have to pay transfer fees (even tho the guys had moved out of AZ months/years ago). The guy also gave me all the tie down stuff. So I am going to have a couple of single axle trailers for sale, the one I hauled the Trooper and/or Sandrail on and a 6X12 foot trailer. Any interest howler as they will be going into the Tucson Craigslist.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 6 months later...

rocmoc, I found you a jeep petty neat

• Curb Weight (estimated): 3,850 lb (1,746 kg)
  • Length: 151.8 inches (3,856 mm)
  • Wheelbase: 108.1 inches (2,746 mm)
  • Front Overhang: 25.0 inches (635 mm)
  • Rear Overhang: 18.7 inches (475 mm)
  • Width: 80.0 inches (2,033 mm)
  • Height: 68.2 inches (1,732 mm)
  • Track, Frt/Rr: 67.5/67.5 inches (1,715/1,715 mm)
  • Engine: Two 5.7-liter, 8-cylinder HEMI engines
  • Power: 670 hp (500 kW) (2 x 335 hp)
  • Torque: 740 lbf·ft (1000 N·m) (2 x 370 lbf-ft)
  • Transfer Case: Custom multi-mode with 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 ratios
  • Transmission: 5-speed automatic
  • Front and Rear Suspension: Long-travel, short/long arm independent
  • Ground Clearance: 14.3 inches (363 mm)
  • Break-Over Angle: 31.5 degrees
  • Approach/Depart Angle: 64.0/86.7 degrees
  • Tire Size: 305/70R20 (all four)
  • Wheel Size: 20x10 inches (51x25 cm)
  • 0-60 mph (97 km/h): 4.9 seconds

• 5 weeks later...

Time for an update! I bought another tub/body as the tub on the '70 (It came from Nebraska) and was rusted out from the snow & salt. The new tub is off a '74 which has hanging pedels an upgrade I was going to install in the '69. I have the '70 running and driving it locally, just looks like cr*p. I took the tranny, transfer case & overdrive out of the '69 and had them rebuilt completely. Already had the '69's diffs rebuilt and lockers installed. So now my plan is to use everything from the '70 except install the new '74 tub, the rebuilt trans/tranfer case/overdrive from the '69, the diffs from the '69 with the lower gears & lockers taking the best to make ONE great Jeep. The tranny & diffs are good in the '70 but no overdrive and higher diff ratio. I have been going over the '74 tub rewielding everything that shows any cracks, movement or rattles. Just finished today. Will start cleaning the bottom and repaint/coat the bottom while it is off and can be turned on its side for the work. After I complete next week, I will start the body work which there is not too much of. As a side note and same time, I just finished working on the Motorhome. I had to do a little bodywork to the rear. A tree ran into me when I was being moved the 3rd time in a campground this last winter. I had wanted to repaint this area anyway as it was the only place the paint was showing its age. All complete except an hour worth of items to reinstall after the painting.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Motorhome finished! Will be taking it in to have the serpentine belt changed out, this is not an easy task on a diesel motorhome, & the Jake Brake checked out. The Jake Brake stopped working when the tree ran into me. There was a wire loom that was smashed by the tree. I fixed the lights but in the process the Jake Brake stopped working. I believe it is a fuse or relay but outside of my expertise! I could spend hours/days and Williams Trucking, who works on my Motorhome, will fix it in less than an hour. Finished the wielding on the '74 tub yesterday but have a couple other projects that I need to address. I pulled the race car out of the RV garage today and am going to sell it. Anyone need a '37 Chevy INEX Legends race car? They stopped racing them locally and am a bet bummed that there is no where locally to race anymore.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico