Quantcast

First ride air shock

charlie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rear sway away shocks should be here Tuesday or wensday. There was an issue they ran out of the internal dprings that go in them. So they got these new springs wich instead of the shock being a ten inch travel it will be nine cause the new springs they are using are a little bigger! In my situation that doesn't bother me loss of an in in travel my goal was for an 8.5 that didn't work so now the new shocks will be 9" travel extended length is 25" and change I will use limit straps. As soon as I have them installed I'll post pics and be updating with my thoughts after riding on them

Got The new shocks installed last night sorry no pics yet but I will with ride update. At first they were way to stiff and 15" under rear diff! I dropped pressure by 30psi now sitting at about 14.5" under rear diff I think. It maybe still little stiff waiting to hear back from SwayAway not sure how stiff a setup air shock should feel lol

Rocmoc

No coils at all full air shocks with internal bump springs. these rear air shocks are rated for 1500lbs sprung wieght per corner, I already let out 60psi sitting at 14.25" under rear diff gonna drive it this weekend. front is 2.0 fox air shock. I know powersliding there will be a lot of body roll pending on my final tune but I dont do that, and I know that if I ran at 50 over woops all day i could over heat them but thats not my style. I do a lot of lower speed 20mph, and i want this thing to flex over obstacles instead of bouncing lol. Hopefully I will have a ride updaye after the weekend

Hmm i see how big whoops would it have to be to burn out the shocks at 50 mph? If shocks get burnt out what need to be done to restore shocks?

I want to be able to flex good and blast through whoops and do it all with one set of shocks.

I'm an "have your cake and eat it too!" Kind of guy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

haha lol

I hear ya you can still do high speeds with them but if its done over and over or If you run them all day at 50 or so over the whoops you take a chance on overheating them thats what I was told. To fix that you have to change the oil in them and replpace any needed seals that may have let go. The rear shock I have installed are the same ones some of the guys in KING OF THE HAMMERS run on there buggies and they hold up well. I work with a guy that has a full size crawler and he and his buddies all run the air shock and beat the hell out of there rigs fast and slow speeds and all have had good luck

• 1 month later...

I heard all the same stuff about overheating, right after I put my Airshox on. I've run Fox Airshox on my rock crawler for five years now, though, and never had a problem. If you are building a Wide Open Baja car, or a Trophy Truck, I think you should be concerned, but for a recreational buggy, no problem. I put the Airshox on my Joyner a couple of years ago, and never looked back. Yes, you do need limiting straps, and tuning is required, but after that, you are golden.

The Shox I put in the Joyner were used, lay in the rain, and had some surface rust, but haven't even thought about leaking. I'm not sure what you do to make them fail, but crashing, rolling over, and jumping are not failure points - ask me how I know :D