Quantcast

First ride air shock

charlie

Well guys finally took the trooper out this afternoon with the fox air shocks!! First the front has almost same ride hieght 13" under front diff rear under diff is like 11 3/4 not happy about that I have been talking to fox and offroad warehouse about this and I was told to drive it and give them some measurements to see what can be done might have to change the rear to sway away air shock but will know later!

Ok as far as the ride goes BIG difference!!!!! Man that thing flexes now my buddy said the rear end look Brocken. Ause the wheels moved up down so much lol! I was able to drive faster on the trails that I usually can't because of the softer ride, roots and rocks that usually bumped me all over we're much smoother whoops were cool to watch the front end move!!! All in all it was pretty good I think the rear needs work I'm pretty happy with the front fox 2.0 5.5 travel charged at 350 psi ! Rear seems a little soft and low for now but as things change I will keep u all update I'd say if I had 13-13.5 inches under the rear diff with how it drove today I'd b pretty happy but we will see

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no coil at all my rear fox shocks are little to soft no happy with the ride hieght but the rid is good so far 13-13.5" in the front and 11 3/4 -12" in the rear =( . I have the fronts set at 350 psi and 200cc oil rears are at 500 psi and 260 cc oil. The thing flexs great my buddy said "dude the buggy looks brocken why are your tires moving up and down so much I laughed". I keep ground conract almost every were but one or two spots were the wash out is a bit much rides more level can go faster cause its smoother. All in all pretty good just bummed out about rear ride hieght i do go over some rocks so 2" is a lot to me!!!! as far as pics and videos of it in action I will have some after this weekend Im doing a charity run for the troops in NH so I will get some for you guys. Im am going to exchange the rear air shocks to 2.5 10" travel sway away shock or radflo air shocks they take 1000 lbs per corner

• so how do we upload videos and pics in a thread like this not in our profile

With tapatalk its straightforward but on browser you gotta click on one of icons under the box where you type your reply to form threads and it seem like we can't upload videos directly on the website so i just upload my videos to my YouTube account and then share the link here like my trooper doing donuts video for example.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah tapatalk is $1 to purchase i believe, i agree lol some of my videos looked very awful until i got very good camera phone (Droid x and razr) since then i haven't complained about video quality when i shoot it in hdtv quality, but if i record it in text message (vga or qvga) then video is terrible and not worth watching lol

I also have few videos of myself going in mud hole in ditches in hdtv quality that i can't see the mud or water because grass overpower the mud in the video

Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lol so its not just me then hahaha

Ok guys I shouldnt say this but I will I just talked to a guy who has worked with joyner and the factory joyner shocks have been rediesigned and will be forsale hopefully around november front will be under 200 and rears will be between 250-300 price may change some. I gues the ride quality and flexibility is drastically different and better travel. I was told that stock shocks just didnt do it and were all about getting the trooper off the ground not about the ride. Just throwing it out there for you all if your thinking about shocks

lol so its not just me then hahaha

Ok guys I shouldnt say this but I will I just talked to a guy who has worked with joyner and the factory joyner shocks have been rediesigned and will be forsale hopefully around november front will be under 200 and rears will be between 250-300 price may change some. I gues the ride quality and flexibility is drastically different and better travel. I was told that stock shocks just didnt do it and were all about getting the trooper off the ground not about the ride. Just throwing it out there for you all if your thinking about shocks

For that much money, I would rather just go with Fox shocks and have complete control of tuning myself and a known top quality brand.

Lenny

in my gallery under new color I posted a couple pics of the suspension flexing I will post a few more later just wanted you guys to get the idea. I do have a video but its lame and does it no justice. I am exchanging the rear shocks from fox to sway away air shocks 2.5 10" travel 1500lbs per corner

There actually just the zilla tires theres a slight difference between the mudzill and zilla. The stock tires are 27" we all kow that but they actually measure like a 26" the tires dont rub at all so far except on my front fenders from time to time But you can see in my pics I made extended larger front fenders and I will be trimming them down for more cleareance when at full flex. Ther dont hit firewall and I run the between 10-15 psi in rear and 8-12 in front depending on were I am going

There actually just the zilla tires theres a slight difference between the mudzill and zilla. The stock tires are 27" we all kow that but they actually measure like a 26" the tires dont rub at all so far except on my front fenders from time to time But you can see in my pics I made extended larger front fenders and I will be trimming them down for more cleareance when at full flex. Ther dont hit firewall and I run the between 10-15 psi in rear and 8-12 in front depending on were I am going

I didn't know there was just zilla tires, how wide are the tires in front?

hey nocturnalsixer,

I have spoken with sway away about rear shocks they will proball need to be set at 400 psi but its easier to adjust down rather than Up I will be getting my own nitro kit so I can adjust my shocks when ever I want. I found the hose and regulator that will work. As far as the tires go there 11" wide in rear and 9" wide in front and grab everything there good in the snow to and loose rocks. lol I will have the new sway aways in about a week week and half

all in all guiys Im really likeing these air shocks and now that i understand it all makes sence so feel free to ask???? the only issue for me here in mass is finding a shop that can charge them to atleast 500 psi. Like i said befor im gonna go 375 to 400 charge on fronts you charge the shock unloaded on the rig or off the rig not compressed. The bew rears Im starting at 500 will probally be down to 450.

Yes rocmoc your right on the valving I'm going up on the pressure in the front to keep my ride hieght the back new sway away shocks will be valves the same as the fix and the oil will be 10cc more! The rude quality is good an comfortable but I need a better ride hieght in back that's why I am upgrading the rear shocks

still cheaper than a coil set up though lol

True, last I checked coil overs like Kong shocks was more than $2000 for complete set i believe

That's why i am considering those shocks Charlie running in the front and maybe sway away rear shocks since it's still cheaper than Kong set.

I bet there's others thinking about it also

The wheels will move from tilted in on top to tilted out on top depending on where they are at in the suspension travel. They also will change their forward direction as they move thru their swing. This is because the swing arms mounting pivots are not lined up perpendicular to the length of the Trooper. Because of this the wheel does not swing thru an arc that is vertical straight up and down when looking at it from the back and straight forward when looking at it from above.

Lenny

Yes it does change when the tire goes thru its travel. Draw a 6" horzontsl line on paper. Under the line and from each end draw a V with the point of the V 1" below the line. Now draw 2 vertical lines 2" long directly under each end of the 6" line. Think if this as looking down from above your Trooper. The vertical lines are your left and right tires pointing straight ahead. Each side of the V represents the pivot axis of your swing arms. Now connect the swing arm axis to the wheel with a line. Now swing your wheels from below the 6" line to above it by swinging each about their own swing arm axis. You will see that they now point a different direction. However, under your normal ride height, the wheels should point straight ahead.

Lenny