Quantcast

4 wheel drive actuator

Kinarfi

does anyone have a 4 wheel drive actuator laying around they want to get rid of?

mine fried it's motor and burned some the copper traces on the circuit board, so I plan to modify it to use FETs to control it. I have my son looking at his RC car motors to see if they'll work.

Thanks,

Kinarfi

Well this fix was fun, some of the traces on the circuit board were burned, the heavy ones that went from power in to the relay, so I did away with the relay and used FETs, the motor was fried so I ordered a new one, but it didn't have the half moon shaft and was longer and didn't have the same connection and while I waited for it to get here, I disassembled the old motor and rewound the armature, twice, the first, I matched what I took out, the second time, I added some extra turns, went from 31 to 45 turns which is supposed to give more torque and lower rpm. When I got it back together, it did sound slower. Anyway I fixed the old one and it is in and works. I suspect part of the reason for the failure is that the motor bearing got dry and seized or partially seized, the nylon end cap was melted a bit around the bearing. A new actuator is ~$160, Rocmoc has one for 135 and my repairs costs me 4 FETs and two resistors, the wire came from another motor I saved and I had fun playing with it.

Kinarfi

• 9 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.