Quantcast

Torque lube on head bolts

Question for the near future

I notice a lot of people when rebuilding engines use ARP torque lube on head bolts. It supposedly helps you get a better more accurate torque  to spec. and will prevent bolts from snapping. ( i have new head bolts.)
 What do you y'all think?

I would use some sort of torque lube (not motor oil).  Resistance to torque in the threaded area can affect the amount of torque that is actually used to hold the parts together.  You want all of that resistance applied to the actual torque of the joint and none being used to overcome the resistance of the threaded area.  It's similar to tightening a new bolt vs an old rusty bolt.  Some of the torque is used to overcome the rusty bolt threads.  Whether ARP is better than anything else would have to be based upon what you think of a product's claim.

You'll find arguments that using a torque lube will increase the preload stresses when tightening the bolts to spec.  I don't see how that can happen unless they've factored in the effects of a dry and clean torqued bolt vs a wet (lubed) torqued bolt into their specs.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By buckrub
      Hey guys! Newbie here. I'm an old man who's better with plowing a mule (4-legged kind) than these newfangled beasts. I, and a friend of mine, just bought new Coleman sxs and are having to finish the assembly. I've been reading on this site and I'm falling on the mercy of you experts. The only way I'm an expert is that an "ex" is a has been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure. LOL First off, the 2 buggies have no ignition switches. They seem to mount on the dash, not the opening in the steering wheel shaft cover, so we ordered new ones that are supposed to fit. They are 8 inches long, and have a 4-wired white plugin which is slightly rectangled when looking at the end of the plug. The trouble is there's nothing to plug into. There is a three-wire grey plug close enough to reach the four-wire plug, but of course, they are not compatible. 
      Secondly, the blinker, light, ect. unit on steering wheel just spins around when touched. I see no way in heaven or earth to secure it. I've looked at a diagram on the Powersports site, but can't detect how it mounted. Fellows I'd be so grateful for any help with this. Me and my mule will even plow your garden for free, for your help. LOL 

• By moonrover
      Mine is overheated/burned/melt at connection with its wire connector, parts are ordered to replace both them.  This seems to be a common issue, and some of you already replaced it. I right now just connect the wires, so the fan runs  all the time whenever the initiation is on, but it's better let fan runs as needed with a working temperature sensor/switch. 
      Question: Does some coolant come out by removing the switch/sensor from radiator?  Or, is the threaded hole all the way inside radiator?   If the answer is yes,  I want to drain or extract  some coolant to make its level below the sensor before replacing it, so I don't make a mess with coolant spilled out 
      Thank you.  
    • By Steve Toney
      Hello, my name is Steve and just signing up.  Bought my first UTV yesterday.  It is a Massimo T-Boss 550.  
    • By SafeSledBryan
      Hey guys! My name is Bryan and i am the owner and creator of Safe Sled. Not some crazy corporate backed recovery product, but just some guy with an idea. 

4 years ago, I suffered 11 strokes, and am now 50% paralyzed on the left side of my body. I am unable to work a normal job anymore. I was working on the sled 2 years before this all unraveled. My wife told me to keep working on it since i was pissing her off staying home and doing nothing.
      I still plan on improving and implementing different ideas as the product’s revenue continues to grow.
      if the sled is appealing to you, please check out my website, safesledoffroad.com
      Safe Sled Website
    • By Timpiker
      My UTV is a few years old and gets very little use.  I just noticed the drive belt slapping the plastic guard and making some noise.  The manual tells me how to replace it but not how to tighten it.  Apparently, there is no adjustment.  Does anyone know if there is an adjustment?  Is the belt supposed to have a lot of slop in it?