Quantcast

Does This Mean Anything? Do I have a Problem?

Kinarfi

2680519580104110397omcpWr_th.jpg This is the second time I've seen this and there was some air coming out of the hole in the top of the can when I had the filter off. Is it possible that I have too much blow by? or am I putting too much oil in?

Thanks, Jeff

Also take a look at some of my mods by looking at the other photos after clicking on the one above. I moved the hand brake splitter and there's a photo my oil drain set up and of the plastic piece holding my nailed bolts in place.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi

I agree with you assessment. I would first check to make sure that the oil is not over full. The little can is call an oil catch can. Most race cars run them to keep any oil from getting on the track. On the older cars, it was just a tube that emptied on the ground so you never saw the oil. Also, maybe it just needs to be emptied. I will look closer tomorrow during the daytime. Also blow-by will enhance the oil being seen. I will report back later.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Yesterday, I had this happen twice, the engine died and wouldn't restart unless it was done by dumping clutch, wouldn't start with the starter.

Any ideas. :angry:

The first time, we were going up a slight hill after going slow though some obstacles and the engine had started acting like it had flooded and didn't sound right, the second was after getting home and it died as we were backing off the trailer.

The first time scared me because were way out in the booneys and NO ONE was anywhere around. Time for me to buy a SPOT http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

Yesterday, I had this happen twice, the engine died and wouldn't restart unless it was done by dumping clutch, wouldn't start with the starter.

The first time, we were going up a slight hill after going slow though some obstacles and the engine had started acting like it had flooded and didn't sound right, the second was after getting home and it died as we were backing off the trailer.

The first time scared me because were way out in the booneys and NO ONE was anywhere around. Time for me to buy a SPOT http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

If I understand both times the front would have been higher than the back end. Could it be fuel pressure?

Sounds like my trooper when i was running out of fuel. My pick-ups used to be in the back of the tank so this would happen after going down hill. When you say dumping the clutch, i asume you had to push it awhile to get it started. when the pump becomes un-primed the pump only works momentarly and then shuts of because there is no preasure, so you end up just turning the key on and off trying to get fuel preasure. Trust me this can be a pain in the butt. I ended up preasuring the tank by blowing in it with my mouth while my son turned the key on and off. So if you have been on a ride where you are down on fuel you can aireate the pump. I have done this with my tank half full. Check and make sure you don't have any kinks in your fuel line, you can also check your fuel filter. Rember on fuel injected engines they have alot of fuel flow because off the return fuel line so the filter has to be very free when you check by blowing through it with your mouth, it is a good idea to have a new one to compare it against. If you blow through it with a air gun you will ruin the filter, they are very fine so you don't plug your injectors

Thanks, Yes the front was higher but not the much, and I hadn't burnt that much fuel, I think, It started and ran fine today, had to take it out and wash it. I guess I'll have to watch it for a while, but it did seem like starvation, or fouled plugs. Maybe the battery was low or weak and it supply power for both starter and spark. Just an idea. :blink:

That sounds like ours did when we had that wiring problem. Run for a second then off ours was back firing. This what we posted on RA. By the way I bought George a Spot for Christmas not only for breakdowns but to save us in the event of an accident.

Hi Everyone,

Need some help, Thursday we were going up a very slight incline on a forest rode and the T4 just stopped. It backfires when you try and get it to run, luckily we were able to coast back down the mountain because we had Lance with us and no cell service. Called Joyner and they were great about trying to trouble shoot it on the phone, luckily cell service at the bottom of the hill. They thought it might be the computer and had us pull it and take it to Cedar City to get it tested, it wasn't the computer. Fuses were all good. George ran all the connections, checked the battery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Of course we're here in the car instead of the truck so we'll have to come back and haul the T4 to Cedar if we can't figure it out.

Called our friend and he came and rescued us. God Bless Good Friends.

Cinda

Repair

Thanks to the help from an highly experienced bike mechanic and his sons staying in the RV Park right behind us they were able to diagnose the problem. WARNING TO EVERYONE CHECK YOUR MACHINES trace the wire from the exhaust sensor back to its harness, its really well hidden under the intake manifold, ours had rubbed across the positive terminal of the starter, causing arcing and welded the four wires together for the O2 harness. Once that was cut and spliced together we're on the road again. We're calling Casey at Joyner on Monday to warn them of the problem and to get a new wiring harness ordered.

Thanks for all your help we really appreciated it.

Hi Everyone,

Need some help, Thursday we were going up a very slight incline on a forest rode and the T4 just stopped. It backfires when you try and get it to run, luckily we were able to coast back down the mountain because we had Lance with us and no cell service. Called Joyner and they were great about trying to trouble shoot it on the phone, luckily cell service at the bottom of the hill. They thought it might be the computer and had us pull it and take it to Cedar City to get it tested, it wasn't the computer. Fuses were all good. George ran all the connections, checked the battery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Of course we're here in the car instead of the truck so we'll have to come back and haul the T4 to Cedar if we can't figure it out.

Called our friend and he came and rescued us. God Bless Good Friends.

Cinda

Repair

Thanks to the help from an highly experienced bike mechanic and his sons staying in the RV Park right behind us they were able to diagnose the problem. WARNING TO EVERYONE CHECK YOUR MACHINES trace the wire from the exhaust sensor back to its harness, its really well hidden under the intake manifold, ours had rubbed across the positive terminal of the starter, causing arcing and welded the four wires together for the O2 harness. Once that was cut and spliced together we're on the road again. We're calling Casey at Joyner on Monday to warn them of the problem and to get a new wiring harness ordered.

Thanks for all your help we really appreciated it.

Cinda,

Thanks for that tip, it is a little dark outside, so maybe on Saturday I can take a look.

it would turn over but not start with the starter, But it didn't seem like it was turning over very fast.

Congrats on the Spot, How much and which package did you get?

I have basic plus the live tracking upgrade. When I bought ours FireEagle was running a special and you could join free for a year with basic and tracking service. Now it looks like they are also discounting the SPOT. This is on the Fire Eagle website

Spots, spots, SPOTs everywhere

August 15th, 2008 by Jeannie Yang

There's lots of talk about mobile updaters like the iPhone or Nokia, but what happens when you're out of cellular range and your phone can't connect to the internet? I shudder at the thought, but this is not a doomsday post, enter SPOT.

SPOT is a satellite messenger and it's able to update your location from practically anywhere in the world. Unlike other GPS devices, it is able to broadcast your location to friends and family. Oh, and it can save your life. There's a 9-1-1 button which they don't recommend testing, but I've no doubt that it works. SPOT is one of the early Fire Eagle developers and, so far, the only device maker. They play with satellites, for reals. So, we were quite excited when SPOT integrated with Fire Eagle. Now, you can link your SPOT with your Fire Eagle account and have it update your Fire Eagle location when you check in or have tracking turned on. If you have the SPOT tracking service, it will periodically check in and update your Fire Eagle location automatically.

SPOT was just as excited as us to see what Fire Eagle users would think of it that they are offering a discounted SPOT with a free year of basic and tracking services to all you early Fire Eagle users. That's going to save you some pennies for sure. Not much more I've got to say, but go try it out for yourselves! Go get your SPOT promo now.

When you get your SPOT set up, log into your SPOT profile pages and choose the "Share tab", then click on "Share with Fire Eagle" to authorize SPOT to update your Fire Eagle location.

Also when you join and login this is what comes up, its a great value

Now extended through December 31st!

For a limited time, SPOT is offering Fire Eagle users a one-year subscription to SPOT basic and tracking services and a discounted SPOT satellite messenger!

Use SPOT with Fire Eagle to update your location from most anywhere around the world and share your SPOT location with any other Fire Eagle applications.

Kinarfi, Did you ever get your buggy problems ironed out? This may have nothing to do with your problems but I had some grounding problems on my buggy at one time that was giving me all kinds of electrical problems. I ended up changing out some wiring and pulling all the grounds off and cleaning/removing paint from them. As far as the oil coming out of the catch can I have never had any problems with that.

2680519580104110397omcpWr_th.jpg This is the second time I've seen this and there was some air coming out of the hole in the top of the can when I had the filter off. Is it possible that I have too much blow by? or am I putting too much oil in?

Thanks, Jeff

Also take a look at some of my mods by looking at the other photos after clicking on the one above. I moved the hand brake splitter and there's a photo my oil drain set up and of the plastic piece holding my nailed bolts in place.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi

I think that that there is a certain amount of air that always blows out the can and there is an oil mist that rides on that air and the filter catches that mist. It should drain back in, but the shape of my filter lets it drain out or maybe it long inclines, up or down. I think I'll try putting a catch ring around the bottom of the filter and see what happens.