Quantcast

Need side by side advice

KJ2654

New to this. I am looking to pick up a used side by side for our property. It is a little over 18 acres, 15 of which are woods. I need something with a good hydraulic bed. It will be used primarily for chores and hauling wood on the property. I’ve looked at Polaris and Kubota (diesel). Reliability is key as is cost. Is the 570 large enough for hilly woods? Plan to spend around $6000 . Also, how many hours is too many?  Thanks 

I wouldn't be comfortable buying one with 700+ hours, mainly since I don't know how regularly maintenance was performed. It really does boil down to how well it was taken care of. If you Are looking at a used unit from an individual look at the color of the oil, don't want it to be dark/grey.

I will add I have seen older Kubota utility vehicles for sale and running great with 2000 hours +,  the Kubota will probably have more torque since most are diesel, so it could haul more, especially on hills.

I don't know a lot about Polaris, but I do know they have the most recalls per 100 vehicles than Kawasaki,Kubota, others.

• 3 weeks later...

My Scag mechanic has traded for a 2008 Kawasaki Teryx 700 with 525 hrs. He is going to tear it down and replace needed parts. He is very reliable and will not sell it until he thinks it’s right. He is expecting to sell it for about 3500 to 4000 when it is ready. Any thought would be appreciated. It has new tires. Thanks

If the reviews are favorable, I'd Google "2008 Teryx 750 problems"  followed by maintenance issues etc. That way you can see if some unforseen problem might possibly be lurking right there waiting. 

That doesn't mean that you'll have any problem, but it gives more knowledge. Most reviews are done on new machines, that haven't had time, or elements working against it yet. Really only covering performance, and capabilities. All good things to know, but if a maintenance nightmare awaits, I'd want to know that as well.

There should be plenty of information available about a 2008 machine. So you'll probably get all the information you need. And honestly, if it's in good shape, that's probably a fair deal. As I remember, the Teryx was a pricey machine, small, and fast. Geared more for fun, than work. Kind of a side×side version of a 4 wheeler. Either way, if it has a trailer hitch it'll be okay for light duty. And one thing I've learned on this forum, is that parts availability is a big plus. 

If you do buy it, be sure to get a shop service manual for it. Or for anything that you do get. Those manuals are pure gold, and together with the internet, can solve most problems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 12:19 PM, KJ2654 said:

My Scag mechanic has traded for a 2008 Kawasaki Teryx 700 with 525 hrs. He is going to tear it down and replace needed parts. He is very reliable and will not sell it until he thinks it’s right. He is expecting to sell it for about 3500 to 4000 when it is ready. Any thought would be appreciated. It has new tires. Thanks

I’ve settled on the Teryx for 3500. Runs great, cosmetically fair. Appreciate the comments that ultimately helped me feel more confident in this purchase. Any more advice about the Teryx or off-roading in general would be appreciated. It will mainly be used for helping around the property and riding back in our woods. Experiences opened up trails would be really helpful. Thanks again 

• Like 1