Quantcast

Exhaust fumes on 2017 Challenger 550

Jon

Welcome!

Definitely don't need to be breathing  that stuff in!

I've searched around on google and couldn't  find anyone else with that problem.

Does the tail pipe go the very back of the machine and exit at the rear?

I would be inclined to check for any exhaust leaks near the manifold (assuming a 2 cylinder engine?) or any cracks in the exhaust pipe.

Here is a pic of rubber elbow not attached to exhaust.  I don’t see anywhere that it’s supposed to attach, warm air but not exhaust smell is expelled when running.  Don’t see obvious leak in exhaust or manifold but does have overwhelming exhaust smell.   Thanks Travis for responding.   Jon7A1FD21C-32BD-4D14-8490-635E0E990D7C.thumb.jpeg.f15a539303661913ef90cc6890141ac0.jpeg

Obviously you'll want to make certain that it's not anything leaking. It's possible that the add ons are bottling up the fumes. Keeping it contained. 

If that's the case, then before I added length to the exhaust. I'd try to seal the cab. Mine has a thick, insulated poly plate attached to the undercarriage, beneath the seat. And there's insulation under the seat, against the motor side of the seat box. 

This is all pre fab insulation, for a cab that I don't have. I needed it for the excessive noise that my diesel engine makes. It's made to keep out cold, but I can't imagine any fumes coming through it. It wouldn't be hard to duplicate using readily available materials. 

Adding length to the exhaust might possibly increase back pressure, or other unintended negative effects. I'd try that as a last resort. 

I did tighten exhaust manifold bolts but didn’t remove to see if needs new gasket.  Think I will remove today and replace gasket.  I assume they are readily available at auto parts stores.  I visited a Cub Dealership yesterday hoping to look at other challengers to see if they had same problem.  But the dealership only had cub mowers.  I bought mine from private party.  Appreciate the replies.   

A smoke test would probably be the best, and quickest way to find the leak. If that is the actual problem.

You can Google it if you're not familiar with it. That would be much easier than a typed explanation.

There's some pretty cheap, and easy homemade smoke tester instructional videos available also. They don't require a lot of money to build. But you would need basic skills, and a few tools. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have not experienced the exhaust issue on my 2019 CC Challenger 750. I took a good look at it yesterday and noticed that the exhaust manifold is corrugated/ looks like an accordion. I don't know if this is an upgrade to that issue or not. It seems as if the corrugated manifold would be somewhat forgiving and take the shock so it would not crack as others have experienced in older models.

So I did find multiple leaks on my exhaust pipe, and muffler.  None were easy to see until pipe was removed.   I’ve epoxied them with high temp stuff and will try today to see if it’s taken care of the problem totally.  Parts seem hard to get.  I’d ordered exhaust manifold gasket from supplier on this forum, but it’s delayed delivery at least a week from projected delivery date.   Thanks for the replies.  Jon

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Put in neutral before shifting to 4wd.  

johnny L did you get the Noico material installed?   I got mine delivered this week and will try to install tomorrow.  My exhaust gasket was lost in shipping so I reordered from Cub.  Jon

Thanks. My research found that Noico was the best deal for the $ but I have not ordered it yet. I have another question; On the back wall of the cab, under the bed, is a rubber/plastic hose maybe 2-3" that is not capped. Is this some type of exhaust?

Yea mine has the same open rubber elbow.  I had posted a picture in one of my first posts asking if that my be my source of fumes.  No one seemed worried about it and asked if warm air is coming out which it is.   So I assume it’s normal.   Jon