Quantcast

KenL

2019 Massimo Buck 400 - oil filter

I've looked long and hard and can't find an oil filter.  Wondering if there is one.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Also, live in Canada - we have no Massimo service centers or dealers, only HiSun.  Are HiSun and Massimo related?

Finding the exact one that is actually made for your machine, by the manufacturer, might not be necessary. I've found that filters are highly interchangeable. For example, there's two different filters listed for the 05, 3010 mule. Different stock numbers. One is for the gas model, and the other is for diesel. I accidentally bought the gas model filter once. It fit my diesel just fine. Cars, and trucks are the same way. Over the years, I've found that a lot of filters will interchange. It's almost like there's three or four different thread sizes in sae, and the same thing for metric. 

Here's my suggestion; when you want to change the oil, you can remove the old filter. Then find a way to match the thread exactly. I'd probably use a large bolt. Take that bolt to Walmart, and match it with a filter that's common. Or something that you'll remember. Just measure the gasket side, so you can make sure you get one that will seat properly. 

Another idea, is a cross reference. WIX makes a lot of filters, and I'm pretty sure that there's a cross reference chart somewhere. 

Or try a spare filter for your car/truck. If the thread matches, and it'll properly seat, it'll work. You do have spares right? You might get lucky. 

Thanks - I was actually referring to finding the filter on the vehicle.  I've since found out that this model does not have an oil filter.  Thanks anyway - good advice for the future.

Wow, that's extremely unusual for it to be a gravity lubed engine. I'd expect it to be pressure lubed. Sorry for the misunderstanding,  but I've never heard of that, on a  s×s.

They can get away with that on a lawn mower, because they're usually used on flat semi level ground, and typically stored in a garage. That's good information for you to know though. If you park on a hill, you'll be starting it semi dry. So care should be taken. Overnight parking especially. 

On a good note though. Necessary frequent oil changes will be much easier, and cheaper too. Get a fumoto valve to replace the drain plug. And it'll make it as easy as it can be. 

Hi again.  I don't know much about how combustion engines work but I doubt that the Massimo engine is gravity lubed.  So, I just finished the oil change and in place of a traditional oil filter there is a "oil strainer" on a spring that connects to the drain plug.  There's an oil pump so that doesn't sound like a gravity system to me.  This is  the advertised description of the engine "NEW 391cc HO [High Output] Four-Stroke, liquid cooled engine actually generates more HP then our legendary MSU 500! The HO single cylinder power plant utilizes “advanced bypass oil filter technology.” With this bypass system owners can prolong oil intervals. "   In any event, we have a hobby farm and this machine is perfect for us, especially given the price I paid - $6000 CDN plus tax.  That's less than $5000 US.  Now, this is a Chinese machine assembled in Texas so I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding reliability.

Well if it has a pump, then it certainly sounds like a pressure lubed engine. Regardless of what they say, if it doesn't have a proper filter. It will need more frequent oil changes. There's no getting around that.

I certainly hope that it works out well for all your needs. But it will eventually need some kind of maintenance work. So I'd recommend you get a service manual, and/or a wiring diagram.

Those things are scarce when you need them after a few years have gone by. Even the top manufacturers sometimes provide precious little of the critical information. And there's been many Massimo people here searching for this information. Although I think that it's mostly available. You have it to find, at a time when you really just need it then.

• Like 1

I would think ,with that motor not having a filter, using a non detergent oil would be better, detergent oil holds the particles in suspension in the oil until it gets filtered out, usually engine's with out filters use a non detergent so the sediment and junk settled in the bottom of the oil pan/sump.

Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable enough. But if the particles are in suspension. Won't they just flow right out with the used oil?

Ah, you've got a good point there....

It seems to me I wouldn't want any wear particles being pushed back into bearing surfaces, only clean oil,... 

I guess the Engineers at Massimo know better than me.

I'd think that everything would be somewhat swirling around in any case. That's why I'd change the oil often. And to that end, I'd make it as easy as possible. That's why I suggested the fumoto valve. 

When you're ready to change the oil, just shut the warm engine down the night before, and open the valve. Next morning, close the valve, and fill er up. The fumoto has a hose attachment, so it's ready to go right into the bucket. No mess, no problem. 

As far as the engineers at Massimo...they're just trying to save a buck. Zero credit given for that. In fact, this forum is full of examples of their handiwork. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KenL said:

Hi again.  I don't know much about how combustion engines work but I doubt that the Massimo engine is gravity lubed.  So, I just finished the oil change and in place of a traditional oil filter there is a "oil strainer" on a spring that connects to the drain plug.  There's an oil pump so that doesn't sound like a gravity system to me.  This is  the advertised description of the engine "NEW 391cc HO [High Output] Four-Stroke, liquid cooled engine actually generates more HP then our legendary MSU 500! The HO single cylinder power plant utilizes “advanced bypass oil filter technology.” With this bypass system owners can prolong oil intervals. "   In any event, we have a hobby farm and this machine is perfect for us, especially given the price I paid - $6000 CDN plus tax.  That's less than $5000 US.  Now, this is a Chinese machine assembled in Texas so I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding reliability.

hahaha  
"LEGENDAY MSU500 Engine:??/  ...  hahaha  thats hysterical..