Quantcast

2018 T-Boss overheating, water pump question

dant849

It sounds like you have the bugs worked out of yours. I only have 14.4 hours on mine. I haven't found a trailer, and there are no trails nearby. But I am gaining information from you and others here. I researched this machine before I put in a bid. I didn't find anything in the way of poor ratings on this particular model. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. 

I will be switching out the thermostat and the fan switch soon. The reason I asked before about if it would overheat while idling is that's all I really have to work with right now. Hopefully since it's a different make of engine, it won't experience the same issues. 

So, I hope you don't mind if I occasionally pick your brain for information, at least until I get a chance to really get it out on some trails.

Anything I can do to help.. I wish I would have had somebody guide me thru the nightmare.. especially since now I see so many Massimos with the exact same issues I had.. and Massimo Service Dept is zero help.. an absolute joke ... Dont know if I told you before, but  mine actually overheated the first time,  on its first day with exactly 1 mile on it... Massimo never lifted a finger to help me after repeated calls to them.. and Tractor Supply said  NOT OUR PROBLEM... pitiful   BUT ITS RUNNING GOOD NOW!!!   

I don't understand why Tractor Supply refused to help, since that's where it was purchased, and it happened right after the sale. That doesn't speak well for Tractor Supply. 

When I received mine, it was supposed to include a roof, but apparently the driver hit some bad weather, and the roof was missing. He was nice enough about it, and refunded $200.00. I contacted Massimo the next morning and requested to purchase a new roof, advising them what happened. They sent me a new roof, free of charge, within 3 days. It was missing a thumb screw that holds the hood down, and they sent me one of those, also. So I have (so far) had satisfactory dealings with them. 

Have you heard of any of the newer models having the overheating issues? Maybe it was tied to the Hisun engines?

I have seen several examples of kits to override the fan, so I assume that this problem isn't just a Massimo problem? What I don't understand is, since it's just a matter of a jumper wire and some electric tape, why these kits are available, unless the kits include something else, such as a switch to manually run the fan?

On 8/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, dant849 said:

Thanks for your reply, no water in the oil. But there was oil in the coolant. I found out the hard way that when you pull the water pump that you also drain the oil as they seem to share common seal. at any rate, the oil looks good. Can you describe the process that you go through to relieve the system of air in detail? I appreciate it

Mine doesn't have bleed screws, so obviously you'd try that first. But if that doesn't work out, here's what I do. I use a twenty dollar funnel that's made for that purpose. It actually connects to the top of the radiator filler neck. Elevate the front of the vehicle around six inches. Then you just let it idle till the thermostat opens. Repeat that a couple times. Then top it off during, and after it cools.

As a substitute, you could probably find a soda bottle to fit tightly into the hole, then tape it in...or something. As long as it can't, or won't fall out. Because that coolant will be HOT, and very messy if it's not tight. I've seen YouTube videos of people doing it this way. Personally I didn't have much luck using the soda bottle method. And since coolant needs to be changed periodically, I have several cars to maintain. So the funnel was a practical purchase. 

There's also an air compressor driven vacuum tool. By creating a light vacuum, and using the apparatus valving. You then allow coolant to replace itself, through the apparatus. Never used one, but it's an interesting idea. You could probably get one of those through the o'Reilly loan a tool program. 

Just a couple of ideas if the bleeder screws don't work out. 

So, how does it compare currently now that you have the issues under control, with other brands? You said before that you had to pull your buddy out of the mud, so it sounds like it may be at least as good if not better a machine, except for the customer service part.

I don't understand why they wouldn't have incorporated some sort of way to drain the coolant, since they recommend changing it every 2 years. Just seems like dropping a hose would be a messy way to do it. 

Cant really say, I have not owned any other brand Side By side.. all my 4 wheelers are HONDAS.. Those damn things are bullet proof.. you can beat them all day long, and nothing breaks.. But when riding with other guys, the MSU does about  as well as most in mudd.. its not nearly as fast on top speed or taking off as the other guys .. and you must come to stop to change from LOW to HIGH gear or to engage 4WD or 4WD LOCK .But I did have a big grin pulling one Kawasaki Mule out of a mud hole  in 4WD LOCK .. Now it was a big deep and about 150ft long  hole . The HONDAS had no problem going thru at all. ..  Mine always ran well, my problem was the constant overheating and absolute dismal service dept at Massimo, and the dont give a crap attitute from Tractor Supply where I bought it. And to have MASSIMO Rep tell me .. "yeah, we dumped HISUN last year . Their motors are junk"  and then tell me they wont warrantee anything  Hisun .. and the Linhai motors are only 6 months..   ...........They just SUCK! 

I'm gonna assume that you won't be holding on to it for very long?

If Tractor Supply still sells them, how can they refuse to help? That's not very good customer service. Did they give you a reason, or just blow you off?

I got an email with an attached pic of the drain bolt for the coolant. At least they engineered that into the engine. It's on the water pump. 

Thats the air bleeder on the pump. should be one on top of head at water inlet too ... .. and Yep Tractor Supply told me they only SELL  Masimo, they have zero to do with service or issues.. thats betwen ME AND MASSIMO,.they did not even know who was authorized shop in my state... .and have a nice day....           thats why I wont ever shop there again.. And I have a tractor and bought multiple implements from them , grader blades , 6ft rotary tiller , bush hog etc. and 2 riding mowers .. wont buy anything else there 

oh it gets MUCH worse...  When I bought it, TS charged me 10% sales tax..;{$880.00} but they did not handle registration with DMV.. gave me the paperwork to bring there.. I went straight there.. DMV processed it, then said I owed 10% sales tax plus registration fees.. I showed TS receipt for already paying sales tax . DMV said go get your money back, TS has no authority to collect  DMV tax  if they do not handle registration.. Went bact to TS, they said.. "oh yeah, thats right, didnt we tell you?"    uh NO!!!  just show us the registration and we can refund it.. I did and they say, "we will mail it to you in 3 days" .. well, I paid with my VISA, why cant you credit it back to VISA?  NOPE, has to be a check...   after 14 days, no check,  I called.. TS said ...oh we forgot to send it to CORP.. you will have it in 3 days...  3 more weeks, I called again ... they say, they will check on it.. no one calls me back. EVER! . I call CORPORATE office and raised holy hell.. promised they would overnight check... 12 days later it arrived by REGULAR MAIL!!!   IN the meantime,  my MSU overheated on its first day in its first mile!..when I called TS they gave me MASSIMO phone # and thats all.. ... So Tractor Supply and Masimo Motors will never see me or a single dollar of my money ever again.. They are both horrible companies who dont give a crap about their customers 

Well.....I can understand your frustration with both companies. At least you did finally get the refund. But it was a lack of respect from both the companies. I don't understand why TS would charge you the 10% sales tax, and just furnish you with the documents. Were they supposed to report the tax collection to DMV? That sure sounds suspicious. 

according to DMV, they were not authorized by state revenue dept to collect the tax unless they would physically bring the documentation to DMV.. They were to leave that to DMV to collect at time of registration..  that was bad enough, but to take almost 2 months to refubd my DOUBLE TAXATION is beyond belief.. Al they had to do was issue credit back on my card..  And the absolute dont give a crap attitude when I called back the next day with the overheating issue was just appalling ...I left scathing reviews on  both their website... they deleted every single one within a day . 

Not only can they delete them, but 4 were rejected for various technicallities before posting.. one I got an email back telling me customer service issues were NOT ALLOWED iN REVIEWS????????????? WTF??  Another said mechanical issues were not allowed, they needed to be sent to manufacturer??  so exactly what is allowed?  ONLY GLOWING REVIEWS ??.........   they suck     I will never go there again 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, T-boss 410 said:

So, there is no known way to reprogram the ECU to lower the temp for the fan to kick on? There's lots of programmers out there in the automotive industry that will accomplish that. Could it be set at that temp for environmental reasons, ad the automakers did?

On the Buck 400  the fan thermoswitch runs independent of the ECU it is hooked to a 10 amp fuse on the fuse block.  The thermoswitch  is screwed into the bottom of the radiator 

That's been a fix that seems to the favorite, for good reason. But I have read some articles that say that running an engine without a thermostat could be detrimental. I just want to try this first. I haven't had any overheating issues yet, but I don't want that extra cost of parts and labor for something I could have avoided. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, T-boss 410 said:

Well.....I can understand your frustration with both companies. At least you did finally get the refund. But it was a lack of respect from both the companies. I don't understand why TS would charge you the 10% sales tax, and just furnish you with the documents. Were they supposed to report the tax collection to DMV? That sure sounds suspicious. 

Wow, in Texas, nothing not road worthy, tractors, ATV, UTV needs a title nor  registration, I got a Bill of Sale from original owner, but TSC provides a Manuf. Certificate of Manuf. with a VIN, mine came with the CofMOF with the purchaser's name blank, but unless it is used on a farm or ranch has to be sales taxed at purchase @ 8.25% in a city or town. since TSC is in town that is 8.25% .  looks like LA get's you a coming and a going.

yep LA titles all ATV, UTVs  . It says ORV   [off road vehicle]  on title..  and charges 10.5% sales tax .. but in my case I had to pay TS , and then pay DMV on the same day.. almost $900 .00 each .. and then wait WEEKS for TS to finally refund mine after many phone calls .... They could have EASILY credited it back to my VISA that I paid with... but REFUSED!  pitiful operation 

5 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

yep LA titles all ATV, UTVs  . It says ORV   [off road vehicle]  on title..  and charges 10.5% sales tax .. but in my case I had to pay TS , and then pay DMV on the same day.. almost $900 .00 each .. and then wait WEEKS for TS to finally refund mine after many phone calls .... They could have EASILY credited it back to my VISA that I paid with... but REFUSED!  pitiful operation 

Sorry way to gain friends and satisfy good customers, seems to me, and it may be a local TSC store thing, there is always some other place to spend our hard earned dollars.  we have several so called "PowerSports" multi brand dealers here in the DFW marketing area,  all trying to make a dollar any way they can, brag about their Service Centers, several that consist of a "Technician" trained on Youtube videos and a using a pocket full of Harbor Freight tools and a photocopied copy of the Massimo  Service manual  with a color picture cover @ $75.00  +$38 shipping + ?? Tax + some other ridiculous phantom fee, in a padded USPS envelope.

They will deliver a Buck 200 X hundred 400, 410, UTV on a pallet "to be assembled by new owner" or "completely assembled" for an additional $599.99 amount plus a double or triple digit dollar delivery charge to a terminal in Abilene or Timbuctoo , because you don't have a forklift and it is shipped on a flatbed truck with NO power lift tailgate. Hell it looks better to go down to the local Johnny Derre Dealer and pay $12,000 for a green and yellow UTV assembled out of most of the same Chinieze  parts that were cloned from a Japanese made UTV with a hundred electronic protected "Safety Relays", just because of the honored J.D. name.    J,D, farm equipment . At least most of J.D. farm equipment dealers  HAVE A REAL SERVICE SHOP WITH SOME MECHANICS.

By the way the reason for the 217/230 F. Thermoswitch  is to keep the head and exhaust temperature high enough to pass the American, (California) emissions control standards for Gas powered vehicles.  No gas powered engine works better running red hot than a properly liquid cooled internal combusted engine does, which won't instantly turn water into steam.     MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN !  WOW!

I kinda figured that the temperature settings were for emissions reasons. Not necessarily good for the engine, I will agree. Personally,  I believe that the sorry State of California is driving the issue of emissions, especially in the area of vehicles. Now they have signed legislation that will make it illegal to sell new gas and/or diesel powered vehicles, allowing only electric vehicles. They ain't all there. Heck, lawn mowers are now being built to CARB standards. I can only assume that the powersports market will be next. I just have to wonder if the machines that are built for sale outside the U.S. have a lower temp setting.