Quantcast

Coolant question

T-boss 410

Thank you, sir. I did a search of my own, and located numerous types of coolant, some being specific to powersports. Without being very experienced in the field of powersports, I don't know if the powersports-specific coolant is just a rebranded automotive coolant, or a good product. Most carry a hefty price compared to automotive coolant, and I'm not sure if it's any better of a product. 

Yeah, I'm somewhat familiar with Dexcool from the automotive side. Never read or heard anything good about that stuff. I believe it was a GM favorite for some of their vehicles. Caused some major headaches for mechanics and owners. I can't believe that crap is still on the market!

• Like 1

The high dollar stuff that's specifically made for powersports, are generally for high rpm engines, like water cooled dirt bikes n such. They're special formulated to supposedly disperse heat better. Seems like they changed the boiling point, or something.  I can't remember, but it doesn't apply to normal engines. Its supposed to make these engines run cooler.

As I'm sure you're aware, regular coolant is only made to resist freezing, and of course rust. IIRC the benefit was only a few degrees, but while that difference might help in competition. Not so much on a trail ride.

Just use the 50/50 automotive mix. Or if you're cheap like me. I get the full strength from o'Reilly's, and mix it myself. 

When all this special coolant thing started many years ago. It started as an additive. Might've been the one you mentioned. I've never tried it, so I couldn't say what the benefits might be.

Except to say that those water cooled racing 125cc dirt bikes were the target market. Mostly because of the design of their naturally undersized radiators. They run hot!

I really don't think that a s×s would see any real benefits. Whichever coolant you choose, just remember to drain, and flush the system every 5 years or less.

As long as you use the right type of coolant, the rest is mostly marketing. Most of that is about their anti corrosion, anti rust or whatever they're calling it. That's just marketing bs, because even with the best, highest priced stuff. It'll still need to be flushed regularly. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.