Quantcast

Lenny

Trooper air filter bad experiance

I just wanted to post a bad luck story I heard from the father of a Trooper owner today. I don't know if something happened that I didn't hear about but it seamed worthy enough to at least warrant a check. His engine quit running and after the dealer tryed about everything they took a compression check. Spec calls for he said 120#, they got 90 on one cylinder and 60 on the rest. Upon teardown there was very very fine sand in the engine that they claimed actually went right through the air filter. The cylinders were scorred and obviously the piston rings to. He had 200 miles on the unit but was out of warrenty. He is giong to switch to a K&N filter.

Right or not, I'm checking my filter by removing it and see what I can see on it and in the manifold. You may want to do the same.

Lenny

I just took my air filter off to check it. Looking closely, there is a very fine brownish powder visible in the inside of the filter. Mostly the side that was at the bottom and really not visible on the topside. The intake tube also has a light film if it on its inside walls. I didn't see it until I used a flashlightk, then it was obvious. My Trooper still runs strong but I'm not going an inch farther until I get a new filter and It won't be from Joyner.

I sujest that every Trooper owner take a close look at this.

Lenny

I checked mine the first time i cleaned it, no dust. I guess i will be looking before i use the trooper again. I have the carbonfiber top with the filter on top and sides with a precleaner over it. I use k&n filter oil. Thanks, i will be checking it .

George is adding a snorkle to ours as soon as he has time. We were very careful this summer and checked the airfilter before every ride and I still think George had to clean it every week-end. FYI we use K&N's on our Polaris Sportsman 700's year before last we were in Castro Canyon, Utah and the dust (it was very dusty) got past the clean filters and the socks that were on them according to the Polaris dealer here they don't recommend the K&N's for that very reason. We were lucky and the damage was very little.

Sorry to hear about your friend, is Joyner going to do anything? Didn't Polaris due recall recently on the RZR when they were sucking dirt. Jimmy?

Cinda

George is adding a snorkle to ours as soon as he has time. We were very careful this summer and checked the airfilter before every ride and I still think George had to clean it every week-end. FYI we use K&N's on our Polaris Sportsman 700's year before last we were in Castro Canyon, Utah and the dust (it was very dusty) got past the clean filters and the socks that were on them according to the Polaris dealer here they don't recommend the K&N's for that very reason. We were lucky and the damage was very little.

Sorry to hear about your friend, is Joyner going to do anything? Didn't Polaris due recall recently on the RZR when they were sucking dirt. Jimmy?

Cinda

I like that idea. Keeping the intake high has got to make a difference. I don't know the other person well enough to know what joyner is doing. I'll ask my deaker but I don't even know if the guy lives around here.

Thanks for the input.

Lenny

I just wanted to post a bad luck story I heard from the father of a Trooper owner today. I don't know if something happened that I didn't hear about but it seamed worthy enough to at least warrant a check. His engine quit running and after the dealer tryed about everything they took a compression check. Spec calls for he said 120#, they got 90 on one cylinder and 60 on the rest. Upon teardown there was very very fine sand in the engine that they claimed actually went right through the air filter. The cylinders were scorred and obviously the piston rings to. He had 200 miles on the unit but was out of warrenty. He is giong to switch to a K&N filter.

Right or not, I'm checking my filter by removing it and see what I can see on it and in the manifold. You may want to do the same.

Lenny

Silverbullet. Hi Lenny

The K&N air filter w/charger is very good.The best part is you can take the charger of and just shake the major crap off.But the Uni Filter is the best.Just more mantiance.An it's not toexpensive

Your right, just got back from an elk hunt and dusted my engine badly but it seems to be running ok now that things are cleaned up. First indication was it quit wanting to run at idle. If I would have stayed home one more day I could have read the reply from the list of issues I have had. I changed plugs and oil and cleaned the intake system. I had a K&N filter with me but pulled it off because it got plugged up and I didnt have the oil with me. thought the stock cleaner was good enough for a backup. Thanks, Thin Air Powersports, for the help and parts.