Quantcast

Winch/Snow Plow Question-2021 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT Ranch Edition

MuleRider

Hi there...

Amateur here.......in process of finalizing a purchase of a 2021 Kawasaki Mule PRO-FXT Ranch Edition.  We have 60 acres of well suited land for riding and are finally pulling the trigger on a side by side.  After some research and test driving we settled on the Mule PRO-FXT.  We plan to make the purchase now and then likely add a snow plow next fall (though we're not certain of this).  Due to the color (that my wife wants) and the features, it makes more sense for us to get the Ranch version than the LE.  That said, the winch that comes with the Ranch edition apparently doesn't accommodate a synthetic cable which is what they recommend for use with a snow plow.  So......I would have to buy a 2nd winch kit to replace the existing.  

I'm disappointed they can't work something out with me to swap them out rather than me buying another one but that is where I find myself.   I need to buy it from this dealer (long story that is not interesting.....but this is the only option I have).   The quote for the new winch kit is $710 + $147 for labor.

In any event, I'm looking for any thoughts more experienced people might have.  My tentative plan is just to leave the original winch on until next fall, then swap them out when I confirm I want to add a snow plow.  Or should I consider removing the original winch while it is brand new and try to sell it on the secondary market?   Would it be difficult to sell?

I would also appreciate any recommendations on the plow itself.  Does it make sense getting it through the dealer or are there other types/brands you would recommend?  One thing I found slightly confusing is that the dealer said the Ranch winch doesn't come with a remote switch.....you have to use the switch on the dash.  But maybe that is only with the original winch.  I would think having a remote hand held switch would be advantageous when moving snow.

Hope these aren't silly questions.   I really appreciate any insights you can provide.

• Alex changed the title to Winch/Snow Plow Question-2021 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT Ranch Edition

Welcome!

i looked on Kawasaki's website and they offer 2 winches for  your Model and edition Mule you're purchasing, one is a wire rope type, and this type which uses synthetic but appears it's a yet to be released  product or out of stock currently. However you may can go past kawasaki and directly to Warn and buy it.

MULE PRO - VRX 45-S Winch Kit
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/shop/featured/facebook/99994153745S/mule-pro-vrx-45-s-winch-kit/

Thank you Travis.  Yes that is VRX 45-S Winch Kit you linked is what they are proposing to replace the original wire rope type.  They are telling me that Ranch version only comes standard with the wire type......that you can't buy it originally with the synthetic version.    Seems ridiculous to me that I have to end up buying both types but they tell me I have no choice.  

I would not recommend synthetic rope for most of the snowplow configurations I have seen. UHMW polyethylene (the material used to make synthetic winch rope) is very strong and has very low stretch--these normally desirable characteristics make it somewhat unsuitable for the high dynamic (impact) loads presented by a plow, and the torture path through which the cable/rope passes on most plows--this is especially true if the fairlead through which they pass has a small radius--as do most UTV winch configurations. For 12-strand 3/16" rope UHMW rope makers typically specify minimum pulley diameters of 2.5 to 3.0"--anything smaller and they downgrade the rope's  breaking strength by 50%.

Steel cable does not stand up well in the typical UTV plow hoist application--those where the cable simply exits the fairlead and connects to the plow at a 75° to 90° angle--synthetic rope stands up less well . Another issue is that in a plow hoist application the stress and strain are applied repeatedly to just a very small segment of the rope's overall length, usually just 6" to 8". 

Best would be a UHMW poly strap or a 3" to 4" pulley for the rope to pass over...

My bottom line, honest opinion of synthetic v steel line in this application--given the absurd geometry of the jury-rigged "hoist" configurations on most (maybe all?) ATV/UTV snowplows--it is that it's a "six of one and a half-dozen of the other"  situation. The application violates 50% or more of either product's engineering guidelines. Either will fail "prematurely" from a  consumer perspective.

I am a mechanical engineer (MSME MIT '71) and the first time i saw one of these things I cringed, more surprised that it worked at all than by the very short service lives we see reported.

All that said were i setting up my own I'd most likely go with the wire rope and keep it well lubricated with an extreme-pressure penetrating lubricant such as Penetro 90.

I was researching winching and hoisting safety factors and ran across this very good All About Winch Cable tutorial--thought I'd share it here. It is very sobering to find your 4700 lb winch cable has a SWL (Safe Working Load) limit of just 940 lbs, applying  a 5:1 safety factor (generally applied for hoisting). At 3:1, a typical winching/pulling safety factor it's still only safe to 1566 lbs.

And, that 9000 lb (max) snatch block you just bought--SWL = 3000 lbs. 9000 lbs. is the load at which it will break and fly back and kill you. That's why one of my first mods for my Outfitter 400 was a wireless remote winch controller; when you start pulling really hard it is best to be as far away as you can...

purchased a mule 610 se back in 2015 to use primarily to move snow....., had local dealer install warn 2500 winch and cab enclosure. along with a moose 5 ft plow..................the winch uses standard wire cable, which has worked well for plowing..........while i do not have the amount of property you do, i plow out many neighbor's driveways as they are the older residences that simply cannot do it.............i am unfamiliar with synthetic cable, but have only had the wire break once..............the mule is an excellent plowing unit, it will push a lot of snow............the one thing you should think about, if your new unit doesn't have it is HEAT...............plowing can get cold, even if you have a cab enclosure............i looked at the factory "heater", which is an engine enclosure that directs heat to the cab............i didn't think that would be sufficient, so i rigged up a 2200 watt portable generator in the bed, and plug in a standard milk house style heater in the cab...................in addition, i use the 12 volt cigarette lighter style plug in the mule to run a small 12 volt fan, to direct air on the windshield..............i have plowed with this set up for several years, and it works like a charm............i get the job done, while remaining toasty warm in temps that have reached down into the single digits...................good luck with your purchase, and enjoy your new "toy".............

• Like 1

I used a Mule 610 for plowing snow for about 12 years using a steel cable and that was with a 66" v plow and only broke the cable once.  On my Pro MX I have a 72" plow using a winch with synthetic and have broken that rope at least twice in less than 2 years of plowing.  I am considering going back to steel cable/roller fairlead/or using a winch strap made for a boat trailer

6 minutes ago, Jeremy .... said:

I used a Mule 610 for plowing snow for about 12 years using a steel cable and that was with a 66" v plow and only broke the cable once.  On my Pro MX I have a 72" plow using a winch with synthetic and have broken that rope at least twice in less than 2 years of plowing.  I am considering going back to steel cable/roller fairlead/or using a winch strap made for a boat trailer

Were I installing a plow (not likely as I am in Saint Augustine, FL) I would go with the strap--they have a bit more stretch (which will make it much resistant to dynamic loading) , but as you are only using 6" to 8" of it it doesn't matter. A strap will also spread contact with the fairlead (roller or Hawes) out over a much larger area, greatly reducing wear.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:01 AM, Scott Meszaros said:

purchased a mule 610 se back in 2015 to use primarily to move snow....., had local dealer install warn 2500 winch and cab enclosure. along with a moose 5 ft plow..................the winch uses standard wire cable, which has worked well for plowing..........while i do not have the amount of property you do, i plow out many neighbor's driveways as they are the older residences that simply cannot do it.............i am unfamiliar with synthetic cable, but have only had the wire break once..............the mule is an excellent plowing unit, it will push a lot of snow............the one thing you should think about, if your new unit doesn't have it is HEAT...............plowing can get cold, even if you have a cab enclosure............i looked at the factory "heater", which is an engine enclosure that directs heat to the cab............i didn't think that would be sufficient, so i rigged up a 2200 watt portable generator in the bed, and plug in a standard milk house style heater in the cab...................in addition, i use the 12 volt cigarette lighter style plug in the mule to run a small 12 volt fan, to direct air on the windshield..............i have plowed with this set up for several years, and it works like a charm............i get the job done, while remaining toasty warm in temps that have reached down into the single digits...................good luck with your purchase, and enjoy your new "toy".............

What do you consider a milkhouse heater? 

Even those Titan heaters aren't as good as they were many years ago

You might want to look at the propane heaters for golf carts that go into cup holders,  I would worry about them melting the soft cab.  I put an Inferno heater in my Pro MX but even the MX doesn't heat up real fast or pump enough water through the system to get my cab toasty warm but it will melt the snow off the polycarbonate windshield in weather colder than 10 F and the Pro MX was only $3000 more than my 610 back in 2006 

12 hours ago, Jeremy .... said:

Even those Titan heaters aren't as good as they were many years ago

You might want to look at the propane heaters for golf carts that go into cup holders,  I would worry about them melting the soft cab.  I put an Inferno heater in my Pro MX but even the MX doesn't heat up real fast or pump enough water through the system to get my cab toasty warm but it will melt the snow off the polycarbonate windshield in weather colder than 10 F and the Pro MX was only $3000 more than my 610 back in 2006 

i tried a propane heater, puts out too much moisture, fogs up the windshield........also, there are some fumes

while we are at it on the topic of plows, i use a moose 5 ft blade............this year, i am having an issue with the blade pads breaking off............seems they are being made cheaper................lost two of the "mushroom" ends yesterday..........i just took them off until replacements come...........................anyone else have this issue..............i am mostly plowing 2 inch snows on concrete or blacktop driveways.............

3 hours ago, Scott Meszaros said:

while we are at it on the topic of plows, i use a moose 5 ft blade............this year, i am having an issue with the blade pads breaking off............seems they are being made cheaper................lost two of the "mushroom" ends yesterday..........i just took them off until replacements come...........................anyone else have this issue..............i am mostly plowing 2 inch snows on concrete or blacktop driveways.............

If they are like these, I'd use a sleeve of 3/4" or 1" steel pipe as a spacer (once proper height adjustment is established) to distribute and shift the load away from the stud and weld.

MoosePlowPad.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cliffyk said:

If they are like these, I'd use a sleeve of 3/4" or 1" steel pipe as a spacer (once proper height adjustment is established) to distribute and shift the load away from the stud and weld.

MoosePlowPad.jpeg

I haven't broke one of those on my Eagle or KFI plows, I did lose a few bolts that holds the blade on on the Eagle plows