Quantcast

Adding power steering to an r4 questions

Wolfpaak

It’s relatively simple…but I don’t know if I’d make it too comfy for the grandkids

You can use an electric column out of a 2009 Nissan Versa (or other cars COROLLA, Prius, Kia, cube, Yaris)…easy to find a remove in the junkyard, don’t even have to get under the car! Get the whole thing including the steering wheel and ECU (computer).
I had to weld on a piece of angle iron to get it mounted, but the steering shaft actually fit perfectly onto my 2009 T4 rack.
Connect + and - to the winch battery connections and the third wire to a switched 12v source, and you can turn that beast with one finger.
Cost me $125 and I have been wheeling the Tennessee rocks and mud for years on 30” tires without any issues!
I’ve got a post on here somewhere about it…Joyner trooper power steering.

Thanks mixfixdave!!!  Is the ecu for the whole car? or just for the steering?

We have 12 grandkids with #13 on the way.  Gotta keep em busy.

I' not familiar with new cars, AT ALL, they dont need a pump and rack?

Thanks for the help!

Kenny

The ECU is just for the power steering…controls the electric motor/assist that is built into the column. Just follow the short wiring harness.
You keep your rack and maybe some of the original shaft (I did), the EPS just gives you some assist.
It’s also a great upgrade for an old muscle car because no hydraulics are necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the steering column from the local wrecking yard ( they didn't have one on hand) $150.00 with tax. He didnt know if it would come with the control unit though. Was yours connected to the column?  It should be here this afternoon!

Thanks!

Kenny

Wiring is the easy part…
Big red and black wires go to your winch power connections (batt + -).
Then the orange wire from the ECU connects to a switched 12v source.
All the other wires are unused.
Turn it on (12vdc+ to orange wire) then give it 5 seconds and you will be turning with one finger!

• 1 month later...