Quantcast

Back to shocks

Kinarfi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinarfi,

Fox makes a direct bolt on with the correct measurements. Flatbed was adding travel but if you are happy with the current, just upgrade with 8.5" Fox 2.0 shocks.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Rocmoc, on those shocks do they come with springs or do I use the stock springs and do you have any idea how the effect the ride.

Thanks,

Kinarfi

From what I have read, for the stock set up we need an 8.5 ' travel, does any one know the other specs such as eye to eye, compressed measurement, extended measurement, spring rates, assuming two springs per shock and any other information I may not have mentioned. I think I may go with F.A.O. shocks and them file a report, but it would be nice to be able to give them the correct info.

Thanks

Kinarfi

A. I just realised I might of giving you a dumber answer. I thought you were referring to F.O.A Shocks but just noticed you said F.A.O in which case it would be referring to me as a Forgetful Arrogant & Obsolete.

Cheers Mike.

One of the nice thing about being a moderator is getting to mess with other's posts. That said, my comment is

We all have our problems, don't we. :lol::P

And when you made the post originally, you put F. O. L. and that worried me as to whether it was a typo or not, but I fixed it for you.

Kinarfi

Old information at:

http://www.utvboard.com/shock-brand-names-t774.html#

http://www.utvboard.com/Shock-Info-t452.html

I think I'm leaning toward the F.O.A. Shocks, but 12 inches of travel is way more than I can use in stock configuration, I measured my old blown shock and it only around 4 1/2 inches of travel, even the 8.5 2.0 shock would be way more that what I have.

What do I do with the extra travel? lay the down, put on limit straps? I really would like some advice here.

Thanks

Kinarfi

Or do I take it to Lenny's Place?

On the fox shocks the valve boddy is shorter than the stock shocks, if you wanted to keep the same travel you could put a stop inside the shock on the extension side to make it not so long, you have to be using more than 4.5 inches of your stock shock. suspened the car and measure how much of the shaft is showing. I put rubber snubers around the shaft to keep the suspension from bottoming out and pulling the shafts of the rear-end. Fox shocks are the only way to go.

Old information at:

http://www.utvboard.com/shock-brand-names-t774.html#

I think I'm leaning toward the F.O.A. Shocks, but 12 inches of travel is way more than I can use in stock configuration, I measured my old blown shock and it only around 4 1/2 inches of travel, even the 8.5 2.0 shock would be way more that what I have.

What do I do with the extra travel? lay the down, put on limit straps? I really would like some advice here.

Thanks

Kinarfi

Or do I take it to Lenny's Place?

One thing about the FOA shocks is that you cannot tune them yourself like Fox shocks. You have to send them back to the manufacture I beleive in Las Vegas. Before deciding on shocks do a little hands on research on your Trooper.First off I would do the rear first then the front later on. Remove the rear wheel and rear shock. Have the other back wheel off the ground preferrably with the wheel off and do not have the rear diff locked. Now lift up one side at the hub while turning the axel. When the axel is at it's limits, you will feel it sort of catch. Thats at the inner CV joint, the axel coming out of it is to the side enough so the axel starts to catch into the groves for the CV balls. Doing this both up and down will give you an idea of what travel you have available. Basically it will be 14-1/2". Moving the bottom shock mount is not that difficult and I can help you with that. Now start looking at shocks, primarily the pin center to pin center dimensions for both the shock fully extended and collapsed. Shock dimensions are on the Fox site and the other sites too. Your looking for a 2" diameter shock at 8-1/2" of stroke. This is what Flatbed is using I beleive. With that shock, you can get suspension travel from what you have now all the way up to 14-1/2" which is what Flatbed has. I'm using a 10 stroke but, I always try lots of different ideas so the 10" gives me extra flexibility. Once you determine what travel you want to shoot for then look at where the bottom shock mount would need to be. Moving it there shouldn't be too hard. If your shock has too much travel for your travel, just use limit straps which are also easy to install. YOu should be able to pick up extra travel without moving the bottom mounts. Once geometry is determined then spring rates can be calculated. Use a dual spring setup. Flatbed knows a lot more about this then I do and maybe he will see some gaps in my thinking and add to the above or correct it. In the mean time look at http://race-dezert.com/home/ classified section for used shocks. I picked up one of my pairs on this site. You don't need remote resevoir shocks but there ok to use too. You don't ride hard enough to really need them.

Lenny

Thanks kinarfi, I must of had a Minties moment (kiwi lingo) & that would make the L stand for losing it.

Lenny, I have a Spring Rate Calculator for you. The link is http://f-o-a.com/calculator.html . It could be just a rough guide, I really don't know however Flatbed will see you right.

This tyre size Calculator is also handy for the change with your Speedo if you have up or down graded your stock tire size. http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/tyrecalculator.aspx

Cheers Mike.

On the fox shocks the valve body is shorter than the stock shocks, if you wanted to keep the same travel you could put a stop inside the shock on the extension side to make it not so long, you have to be using more than 4.5 inches of your stock shock. suspend the car and measure how much of the shaft is showing. I put rubber snubbers around the shaft to keep the suspension from bottoming out and pulling the shafts of the rear-end. Fox shocks are the only way to go.

Pretty sure I'm only using about 4.5" of shock travel, maybe a little more. The last shock I blew, I kept and cut it apart and took photos of it and use it for information reasons.

2178153650104282158pJdwqs_th.jpg 2730410370104282158pXPAHN_th.jpg 2616138560104282158OFKpLb_th.jpg

But if the extended length is the same, then I get more upward travel.

Flatbed, you say the8.5 2.0s will bolt right on? When I go to http://www.foxracingshox.com/sidexside/shocks/20_PIGGYBACK, they list 3 shock, coil-over, Disc coil-over, and RC Coil Over, I suppose the way I drive, the coil-overs would probably be fine, what springs would you recommend for a fairly conservative driver?

Haven't found any prices yet.

Thanks,

Kinarfi

shock guy called today. 23.35 " long 2.0 shocks with 8" of stroke with springs, These are fox shocks @ 285.00 apiece. I was very busy when he called, but i think these have 2 springs per shock

Flatbed, Do you happen to remember the number, name, or anything like that about these. It's been almost a year, wonder how much they are now?

I have it wrote down somewhere on this site, i believe i am running a 600 and 400 on the rear, it might be a 450, when i get home tonight i will try to remember and look. for sure you want the 600s, i tried running a 350 with the 600 because i had them, it was way to soft, when you turned going fast the back would all of a sudden law over and start to turn the car. Now that i am thinking about it i am all most sure i have 600 and 450s in the back. once again this is the best thing you can do is to get the stock shocks off the car. it makes a huge difference in how the car feels, the ride is so much better and so much safer.

I have it wrote down somewhere on this site, i believe i am running a 600 and 400 on the rear, it might be a 450, when i get home tonight i will try to remember and look. for sure you want the 600s, i tried running a 350 with the 600 because i had them, it was way to soft, when you turned going fast the back would all of a sudden law over and start to turn the car. Now that i am thinking about it i am all most sure i have 600 and 450s in the back. once again this is the best thing you can do is to get the stock shocks off the car. it makes a huge difference in how the car feels, the ride is so much better and so much safer.

I am new to tis site hope I get this rite. I wanted to know if you think the stock shocks would work with dual rate springs.

IMHO, the Joyner stock shock is junk compared to Fox and peers. BUT the Stock shocks are incredible compared to stock auto/truck shocks. I would not waste the money putting new springs on the Joyner shocks. Save it for when you can replace with an aftermarket shock.

Now, IMHO the stock shocks are not the first upgrade I would do. Bigger Rims & Tires are! The stock shocks are fine until you really start pushing the Trooper to the limits.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

IMHO, the Joyner stock shock is junk compared to Fox and peers. BUT the Stock shocks are incredible compared to stock auto/truck shocks. I would not waste the money putting new springs on the Joyner shocks. Save it for when you can replace with an aftermarket shock.

Now, IMHO the stock shocks are not the first upgrade I would do. Bigger Rims & Tires are! The stock shocks are fine until you really start pushing the Trooper to the limits.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I agree and disagree with you, The shocks are junk and don't last very long. And I think for people like me and Cinda, the 14s with good tires are great.

As far as upgrading shocks, I have too. I think I'm going with F.O.A. I can't get any response about Fox as to what I should go with or how much they are with springs. Any one have some good info on either shock.

Some stock shock info I came up with is.

Stock shock measurements;

Extended, 23 1/4" over all 22 3/32 eye to eye center

Collapsed, 19 3/8" over all 17 5/8 eye to eye center

Travel, 4 15/32"

Shaft size, aprox 7/8"

Spring size, aprox, 3 1/2"

If you droop too far, the axle rubs on the swing arm and prevents it from going any lower, didn't feel the CV catching. Also, in stock condition, you can't use much more shock travel than you already have.

kinarfi

NO, You will have a hard time finding springs to fit corectly, also the valving is bad. You want a shock that you can adjust the valving. Plus you need a quality shock.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I see that king has an air shock that has 8" of travel for the rear and 6" for the front. I can get these for 260.00 each. What is your opinion of these compared to the fox emulsion? will a person still get the flex they need.

Has anyone weighed the Trooper, front and back. full of fuel?

Thanks

Kinarfi

& rocmoc, your a 1/2 day short on the price of the Fox Shox, I ordered F.O.A.s this morning. I think I'll be impressed, My son says he's a desert racer and gave him a real good rating and he sounds easy to work with. You know I'll be making a report of them.