Quantcast

Trooper Brakes and Steering issues

Zorro

I just purchaced a Trooper last night and I have two major disapointments and wondering if I made a big mistake but hoping there is an easy fix.

First the brakes, I expected 4 wheel disk brakes to be way better than this, I really have to stand hard on them to make anything close to a fast stop. This now worries me on holding on hills when we go trial riding or my wife and kids being able to stop or hold it when they waant to drive . Is there anything I can do to make the brakes do a lot better?

Second the steering - I did not realize until I drove it around last night but the turning radius SUCKS! My F-350 crew cab turns tighter. Steering seems nice and tight with no play in the wheel but the room you need to turn around it terrible. It does seem to turn a little tighter to the right then the left. Im now afraid its going to be a nothing but a hassle to take it trail riding. Is there anything that I can do to make this better?

P.S. I did do a search before posting but did not see anything that really helped me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Welcome Zorro!

There was an upgrade to the original 50 units' brakes. Maybe you have one of them and never got the upgrade. Even at that the brakes are not the greatest. Even at that have never had a problem on the trail and I have NOT put my upgraded brakes on yet.

YUP that is the turning radius but you will be surprised how little it effects you off-road riding. Give it a chance first!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

A little explanation about the steering mechanism, the wheels are a tad back from the differential so the CV starts to bind on the wheel turning inward. If you want to balance and get all turn you can get, read Steering Linkage Problem - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum and Laser Alignment - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum and then ask questions if you decide to go for it. I didn't reread everything, so I don't remember just what was said. If you decide to go for it. I will be glad to post how I would do it.

I just purchaced a Trooper last night and I have two major disapointments and wondering if I made a big mistake but hoping there is an easy fix.

First the brakes, I expected 4 wheel disk brakes to be way better than this, I really have to stand hard on them to make anything close to a fast stop. This now worries me on holding on hills when we go trial riding or my wife and kids being able to stop or hold it when they waant to drive . Is there anything I can do to make the brakes do a lot better?

Second the steering - I did not realize until I drove it around last night but the turning radius SUCKS! My F-350 crew cab turns tighter. Steering seems nice and tight with no play in the wheel but the room you need to turn around it terrible. It does seem to turn a little tighter to the right then the left. Im now afraid its going to be a nothing but a hassle to take it trail riding. Is there anything that I can do to make this better?

P.S. I did do a search before posting but did not see anything that really helped me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Welcome Zorro,

What year is the trooper? If used possibly seller did some brake work and not bled them correctly.

I agree with rocmoc as for the brakes and turning.I have the T-4 Trooper and have climbed some pretty steep hills with four people(not the smallest of crowd)in it and had to hold it on the hill with no problems.even coming down comes to a stop.I was worried about the steering also but have not had any real issues on the trail. Wait until you get it on the trail and give it a chance.

I want to first thank all you guys for responding, it is reassuring to me to have the support !!!

It is a 2008 street legal. I was told it has had the upgraded steering that took out all the play it had in the steering wheel. Also the guy just picked it up from American Powersports last night with a complete upgraded rear end with the new the bolts that wont back out. and told it has the upgraded axles. I know it has a lot of other extra stuff added like fender bars, windshild, wipers etc and it has 1100 miles on it. From what I can tell by visual inspection the brake pads will need to be replaced soon. When I hit the brakes the pedal seem hard as a rock. Currently has 15 inch wheels and 23" tires DOT. but also got an additional set of 14" wheels with 27" off road tires.

The roter look very good and smooth so i am wondering with 1100 miles would this still be the original pads or whould the have been changed a few times already?

I was looking at the steering today and the shaft that pushes through the steering box seems to be maxed either way I turn it, looks like they could have added an inch to each end to make it turn sharper but its quite possible I am an idiot. :blink:

I am very excited to see how it does on the trails and planing a trip somewhere in Texas or surounding states that have nice trails that cater to this UTV and the quads. If any any of you guys got any suggestions where to go around here that would be great.

I just needed to make sure this was normal or not.

It also has the overhead light bar, the lights worked when I bought it but soon as we turned them on 5 minutes afterwards it blew the fuse.There was a 15amp fuse blown, is this the correct fuse amp to run these lights? Seems small to me to run 4 lights.

Thanks again to all of you for your help and support!!!

You say you have 1100 miles on it, it may be 1100 kilometers. I have the 2008 and it is in kilometers. As for "I was looking at the steering today and the shaft that pushes through the steering box seems to be maxed either way I turn it, looks like they could have added an inch to each end to make it turn sharper but its quite possible I am an idiot." I thought the same and when I started to try to do something about it, I found the CV started bumping/binding almost immediately upon adding more turning capabilities, Pretty sure they are giving us all they can.

Welcome to the forum and stay in touch with us all now that your one of us.

Kinarfi

I want to first thank all you guys for responding, it is reassuring to me to have the support !!!

It is a 2008 street legal. I was told it has had the upgraded steering that took out all the play it had in the steering wheel. Also the guy just picked it up from American Powersports last night with a complete upgraded rear end with the new the bolts that wont back out. and told it has the upgraded axles. I know it has a lot of other extra stuff added like fender bars, windshild, wipers etc and it has 1100 miles on it. From what I can tell by visual inspection the brake pads will need to be replaced soon. When I hit the brakes the pedal seem hard as a rock. Currently has 15 inch wheels and 23" tires DOT. but also got an additional set of 14" wheels with 27" off road tires.

The roter look very good and smooth so i am wondering with 1100 miles would this still be the original pads or whould the have been changed a few times already?

I was looking at the steering today and the shaft that pushes through the steering box seems to be maxed either way I turn it, looks like they could have added an inch to each end to make it turn sharper but its quite possible I am an idiot. :blink:

I am very excited to see how it does on the trails and planing a trip somewhere in Texas or surounding states that have nice trails that cater to this UTV and the quads. If any any of you guys got any suggestions where to go around here that would be great.

I just needed to make sure this was normal or not.

It also has the overhead light bar, the lights worked when I bought it but soon as we turned them on 5 minutes afterwards it blew the fuse.There was a 15amp fuse blown, is this the correct fuse amp to run these lights? Seems small to me to run 4 lights.

Thanks again to all of you for your help and support!!!

i looked at the manual for my 09 and it shows a blue fuse(best i can tell looks like it says 10 amp on it)for the spot lights.

I will have to take a closer look at the speedo. I powerwashed it last night and see the seats each hold a pool of water, thinking about drilling some holes in the seats to give the water a place to drain, any of you done that?

I just tilt them forward towards the windsheild and use a bungy cord to hold it while it drys then wipe em down.

You say you have 1100 miles on it, it may be 1100 kilometers. I have the 2008 and it is in kilometers. As for "I was looking at the steering today and the shaft that pushes through the steering box seems to be maxed either way I turn it, looks like they could have added an inch to each end to make it turn sharper but its quite possible I am an idiot." I thought the same and when I started to try to do something about it, I found the CV started bumping/binding almost immediately upon adding more turning capabilities, Pretty sure they are giving us all they can.

Welcome to the forum and stay in touch with us all now that your one of us.

Kinarfi

Your right it reads in Kilometers thats even better from what I looked up its 64 miles for every 100 Kilometers so it has around 700 miles on it from what I understand.

I just tilt them forward towards the windsheild and use a bungy cord to hold it while it drys then wipe em down.

Too funny I did not know they even tilted forward. I'll have to spend some time with her in the shop and get to know this thing up close.

Thanks

Guest Lenny

Too funny I did not know they even tilted forward. I'll have to spend some time with her in the shop and get to know this thing up close.

Thanks

Do you have an owners manual? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll dend you a pdf file of it. By the way, I have 2 brake calipers on each wheel for better stopping power. Havn't driven it yet.

Lenny

Do you have an owners manual? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll dend you a pdf file of it. By the way, I have 2 brake calipers on each wheel for better stopping power. Havn't driven it yet.

Lenny

Hi Lenny no I dont and that would be great to have one. I spent 4 hours yesterday powerwashing, cleaning, polishing, inspecting

and getting to know everything. Then I drove it down the road a few miles to the gas station she acturally ran 60mph but I was looking for a 6th gear. Got lots of looks and head turners. I was going to track down all the wiring and anf fill all the connectors with die electric grease but before I could my wife came out and said lets go muding. I was shocked I had not heard those words in ten years. So I jumped on that and away we went. When we came back we were drenched and totally covered in our black gumbo mud, we had not had so much fun and laughted so hard together in a long time, she even wants to help me clean it up.

I LOVE MY JOYNER!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Lenny

He Lenny, I recieved it in the mail yesterday. Have not had a chance to look at it yet but THANK YOU!!! for your time and efforts!!!!