Quantcast

Rescue

General UTV Advice Request

We are exploring purchasing a UTV for search and rescue operations. I do not know much about these and definitely don't know how to intelligently compare the models. Is a 4x4 or 6x6 better off-road? Does the 4x4 or the 6x6 perform better? We will be using the vehicle only once a month or so, but when we do, we'll be using it hard. It will be used to access rural areas that involve mountains and poorly maintained trails. It will need to get through mud, gravel, snow, and occasionally cross streams. It must have a cargo area that can carry around 600lbs or more and accept a 2" ball hitch. It also has to accept or come with a winch (4,000 lbs or more would be good). Ideally, I would like to be able to attach a plow and take care of the parking lot as well. I appreciate any adivice you can share. Thanks!

Test drive them ALL! Dealer support is very important! All of the manufactures make rescue models.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

First of all indeed, make sure you know what you want to do with the unit. Pick one that fits your needs! There are several UTV manufacturers out there and depending on what you are going to do with your Side X Side make your choice. Second, find a dealer that has good customer service. If you don't get the help during the sales process you probably going to be SOL after the sale.

If anywhere possible, TEST DRIVE THE UNIT before purchasing!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Hisun750Mud
      This seems to be the most active forum for Hisun so if I purchase here is my new home!  I want the UTV mainly for trail riding and some mudding with the family which is the reason for the four seats.  I'm looking to pick up a 2016 HS Crew for around 5,000 which seems to be a good deal.  The bike is in great shape and has low hours but the concern I have is the lack of parts.  I'm not sure if it's known by another name (I've heard Rhino is 1-1 interchangeable) but when I Google, ebay, or Amazon "2016 Hisun 750 HS" very few parts come up.  I'm concerned that if I break an arm, shock, or tie rod I'll be forced to go to the dealer.  I also see a lack of performance parts for the Hisun vs things like a Kawasaki Tryex.  There seems to be a bigger community around the other bikes where there are people who have custom flashes and such, not so much for the Hisun.  Am I looking in the right places or should I steer clear?
    • By Tobe Long
      I have a 2019 RZR Turbo S 4, and have been loving it since I bought it in May. Now, I am beginning to wonder how well it will hold up under hard driving over the long term. I would describe my driving style as aggressive, but always with the cost of repairs in the back of my mind. I live in Utah, so I love hitting the Little Sahara dunes and rock crawling in Moab. I have put about 500 miles total on it, and just blew my first belt which had about 300 miles on it. This happened just as I got to the top of Sand Mt. in my stock vehicle. I'm looking for any recommendations (maintenance or upgrades) for drive train and suspension that will make my vehicle more reliable and reduce long term repair/replacement costs. Are belt temp gauges worth it? How are other owners doing with belt life? OEM vs. aftermarket belts?  Anyone had to deal with rebuilding the Fox Live Valve Dynamix shocks yet? I hate to think about how much that might cost! I've got a week in Moab planned for the end of September and want to make sure I can hit some of the classics without worrying (too much) about breaking anything. Any info is appreciated-
    • By orvresearcher
      Hello everyone,
      I'm doing an update to a project of mine on the side-by-side/UTV market and I'm interested in your opinions. It's extremely quick and anonymous and I’d be happy to share the results with the community. 
      Also, as a small token of my appreciation I will be having a drawing among respondents for a $50 VISA giftcard for those interested. It's not much but the most I can offer as a one person team.
      Questionnaire Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MJWTDWT
      The research isn't for any of these companies, I am just curious to see the updated opinion of the brands and new models. Thank you very much for your help!
      Also, if you are interested in seeing the results from my previous reports they are at the link below. However, please read it after answering the current questions, so as not to color your responses. Thank you!
      Previous Reports: 
      https://www.scribd.com/document/388250480/ORV-Consumer-Survey-Fall-2016?secret_password=t953zxjvDKv4iDAe3qWM
      https://www.scribd.com/document/388250722/ORV-Consumer-Survey-Fall-2017?secret_password=GIQSzm2lckCMf09JNrNn
    • By orvres1
      Hello everyone,
      I'm doing a study on the side-by-side/UTV market and I'm interested in your opinions. It's extremely quick and anonymous and I’d be happy to share the results with the community.
      Also, as a small token of my appreciation I will be having a drawing among respondents for a $50 VISA giftcard for those interested. It's not much but the most we can offer as a two person team.
      Questionnaire Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ORV17frm
      The research isn't for any of these companies, I am just curious to see the opinion of the brands and new models. Thank you very much for your help!
      Also, if you are interested in seeing the results from our previous report they are at the link below. However, please read it after answering the current questions, so as not to color your responses. Thank you!
      Previous Report: https://www.scribd.com/document/363382543/ORV-Consumer-Survey-Fall-2016
    • By orvres1
      Hello everyone,

I'm doing a study on the side-by-side/UTV market and I'm interested in your opinions. It's extremely quick and anonymous and I’d be happy to share the results with the community.

Also, as a small token of my appreciation I will be having a drawing among respondents for a $50 VISA giftcard for those interested. It's not much but the most I can offer as a one person team.

Questionnaire Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/utvboard1

The research isn't for any of these companies, I am just curious to see the opinion of the brands and new models. Thank you very much for your help!