Quantcast

Neat way to tow your Trooper

20100501_2 pictures from current events photos on webshots2211942020104110397HtwyRM_th.jpg

Went and looked at a friends Trooper Trailer and took a bunch of photos. Pretty neat I thought, guestimated weight is 300 to 400 pounds, a lot less than a trailer. I figure my trailer probably weighs as much as my Trooper or more. Also got a few photos of how he did his heater.

Kinarfi

That looks pretty good... Judging by the location of his speakers he doesn't encounter alot of water or mud very often

That looks pretty good... Judging by the location of his speakers he doesn't encounter alot of water or mud very often

Probably not, we live up here in the desert (Utah) and are members of the baby boomer generation, such that we don't enjoy cleaning that much. Now sand, that's a different story! I do get into some water once in a while though. Maybe the speakers are water proof too.

kinarfi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kinarfi, I assume that's a custom trailer. Do you know if your friend would be willing to share any info on how he put that together? Thanks.

Tried to get enough photos so we could figure it out, He said that he just backs onto it using 4X4 until it stops him, then secures it with the wheel straps and the strap on the side, inserts the tongue into the receiver he welded on & jacks it up high enough to go on the ball. I think he had electric brakes.

Sent him an Email with this thread referenced, asking him if I could pass on his address to you.

Kinarfi

The guy I bought my trailer off was selling it because he was going to use a A frame to tow his 4x4 behind his Motor Home. Like this one

He also had a separate light board that went on the rear of the towed vehicle, you can get magnetic ones, but he was going to get an auto sparky to tap into the excising lights on the 4x4. These are road legal over here but might not be for you. I would not tow my Trooper with this set-up with the stock tires, only road tires and if I remembered correctly, he said that he stopped every 200 - 250 km/h and started his towed 4x4 to lube the gearbox. One bonus is the Trooper and Renegade odometers are digital so wont increase the mileage

Cheers Mike.

This is a similar setup Tow Trucks use with dolley wheels on one end and winching up the other end of the vehicle. The dolley wheels have been around for years and there are a few manufactures in Tow Operator Magazines, tho these appear to be homemade. Another is called a T - trailer with a similar setup in the rear and a single long rod/pole up the center to attach to the hitch on the tow vehicle. Usally a set point on the pole/rod to maintain the non-dolly end in place. This use to be used by many early dune buggiers.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Hi Kinarfi, I assume that's a custom trailer. Do you know if your friend would be willing to share any info on how he put that together? Thanks.

I emailed him but got no response. Sorry, after I looked at my photos, I realized that you back on to it and the front comes up and hits the frame of the trooper, thus the rollers on the front, and you keep backing up so the weight is on the trailer wheels and the tongue is at the proper weight. I put my trooper on the trailer so I only have about 100# tongue weight. I first figured two smaller axles with the rear wheels sitting between them, like the tow trucks do, but when I thought about how much weight that would put on the tongue, and went back and did some studying of my photos.

Decided to stay with the trailer I have. Already have it and I don't have to build any thing. But if I didn't have one, I'd consider something like this because my trailer probably weighs as much as the trooper, so I have that much weight to tow around.

kinarfi