Quantcast

rocmoc

Silverbullet, Open Diff

That's the open diff in the tranny. Instead of being locked all the time with a solid shaft. It was an update on sand vipers that snapped output shafts on cement and hard pack

Why would you need this in a Trooper? The Diffs in the Trooper are limited slip / one wheel drive until locked so not the same problem as the sand viper. The open diff would limit the effectiveness of the 4 wheel drive! What am I missing?

rocmoc n AZ

Roc that piece actually goes inside the transmission. Think of an open diff on the rear of your car, kick the wheels up and put it in drive one spins forward one backwards. Now you stop the forward spinning one with a load and the other wheel spins forward. In essence it pits power to the wheel with the least traction.

Ok now let's stick that unit in your trooper tranny you do 7 hours worth of work or more fire it up the first time put it in 2wheel drive and go. Well you don't go you see because the front driveshaft has no load on it without it being in 4wd so it will spin it and not the rear driveshaft.

This piece is useless unless your buggy is full time 4wd. This is my .02 based on all the years of experience I have take it for what it is worth. But basically that is the theory of operation on that unit. Thats the reason Joyner put that in sand vipers and not the trooper/renegade transmissions.

Jarrad

Thanks Snowman, you said the same thing but better. Further you can not be in full locker & full 4 wheel drive all at the same time. Only one set of drive wheels, front or back, will work. So if you need all 4 wheels for traction, you are s*it out of luck. When I had my dune buggies we got around fine with limit slip in the sand but not if you are rock crawling. You have to have enough cent to not spin coming off of a loose surface to a hard surface. This is even true with a pickup or truck. Have a great Turkey Day.

rocmoc n AZ

That's the problem it is not a limited slip it is a open differential. In my opinion that should not be sold for the trooper unless you want some unhappy customers