Quantcast

Turn signal switch on the column

ricksrb

Curious to know which Joyner model has the turn signal switch on the steering column? Saw someone has them for sale on ebay so I ordered one.I figured for 30 bucks including shipping I could make it work on my Trooper.

My link

I added a column signal switch about a year ago. It's not interfaced with the column so it turns itself off after the turn so you see me getting ready to turn a lot when I'm not. Good Lord, It's way too long after I turn it on to completing the turn to remember to turn it off. The one down on the dash just doesn't work without you crashing while you fumble around trying to finding it.

Lenny

I added a column signal switch about a year ago. It's not interfaced with the column so it turns itself off after the turn so you see me getting ready to turn a lot when I'm not. Good Lord, It's way too long after I turn it on to completing the turn to remember to turn it off. The one down on the dash just doesn't work without you crashing while you fumble around trying to finding it.

Lenny

I do know what you mean.The one I ordered on ebay arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good.I'm sure I wont be able to get it to turn off also after making a turn but like you said I wont have to keep reaching over to the dash switch.A few months back I added a couple green LED's on the dash to help remind me to turn the turn signals off after turning(one for the left and one for the right) they work great,at night its impossible not to see them as they are flashing.I also added 3 idiot lights to the center of dash in front of driver(green temp,amber oil,and red alternator)just in case I miss reading the gauges.

I do know what you mean.The one I ordered on ebay arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good.I'm sure I wont be able to get it to turn off also after making a turn but like you said I wont have to keep reaching over to the dash switch.A few months back I added a couple green LED's on the dash to help remind me to turn the turn signals off after turning(one for the left and one for the right) they work great,at night its impossible not to see them as they are flashing.I also added 3 idiot lights to the center of dash in front of driver(red temp,amber oil,and green alternator)just in case I miss reading the gauges.

I saw a dimmer circuit for LEDs on another forum, http://www.electro-tech-online.com/, if you're interested I'll look it up for you. But then it's just one more thing to mess with and probably not worth the time & effort, unless you drive quite a bit at night.

Also, I put my turn switch up higher on my dash and used a on off on bat handle switch, warning, use dirt & water proof switch.

Kinarfi

I do know what you mean.The one I ordered on ebay arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good.I'm sure I wont be able to get it to turn off also after making a turn but like you said I wont have to keep reaching over to the dash switch.A few months back I added a couple green LED's on the dash to help remind me to turn the turn signals off after turning(one for the left and one for the right) they work great,at night its impossible not to see them as they are flashing.I also added 3 idiot lights to the center of dash in front of driver(red temp,amber oil,and green alternator)just in case I miss reading the gauges.

Plan to add LEDs also. Will try to have one for anything and everything to help with diagnostics should something go wrong. I'll be completely redoing my dash. When done it will look more like a Baja off road vehicle dash with lots of switches and lights.

Lenny

I do know what you mean.The one I ordered on ebay arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good.I'm sure I wont be able to get it to turn off also after making a turn but like you said I wont have to keep reaching over to the dash switch.A few months back I added a couple green LED's on the dash to help remind me to turn the turn signals off after turning(one for the left and one for the right) they work great,at night its impossible not to see them as they are flashing.I also added 3 idiot lights to the center of dash in front of driver(green temp,amber oil,and red alternator)just in case I miss reading the gauges.

med_gallery_475_29_544711.jpg

med_gallery_475_29_867558.jpg

If you happen to be thinking of going with LED tail light and no amber lights while your at it, here's a link to a circuit I used on my red only tail lights and the circuit is so small, it can be glued to each of the tail lights.

2183716590104282158RKQEno_th.jpg

There is one for transistor and one for FETs.

I also saw one for the high mounted center brake light if you want that also.

Kinarfi

Curious to know which Joyner model has the turn signal switch on the steering column? Saw someone has them for sale on ebay so I ordered one.I figured for 30 bucks including shipping I could make it work on my Trooper.

My link

I got it installed yesterday afternoon.Wasnt anywhere near as bad as I thought it might be.Still have to hook up the wiring but thats no problem.Undesided weather to keep the stock dash switch active or not.Heres a photo but it was taken after dark,will get another in daylight.

med_gallery_475_29_478790.jpg

I got it installed yesterday afternoon.Wasnt anywhere near as bad as I thought it might be.Still have to hook up the wiring but thats no problem.Undesided weather to keep the stock dash switch active or not.Heres a photo but it was taken after dark,will get another in daylight.

Got it all wired this weekend,turn signals,headlights,high beam,and hazard warning lights.Nice having them all so handy.I also made a battery tray and installed it up front under the hood and got a second battery hooked up in parallel with the main battery.Before when all lights were on while engine was running I would notice a big draw on the alternator,not now.

med_gallery_475_29_1088718.jpg

med_gallery_475_29_824549.jpg

• 8 months later...

My turn signals stopped blinking (would stay steadily on) and now they are totally dead. Any idea?

if you havnt already done so start with the fuse and work your way out to the switch,relay and so on,could be a number of things.

Hi Rick, Thanks for replying quickly. My problem is is that I don't know where these things are located? I looked at the wiring and I have the manual but that doesn't show me the locations. Is there an easy way to locate?

Hi Rick, Thanks for replying quickly. My problem is is that I don't know where these things are located? I looked at the wiring and I have the manual but that doesn't show me the locations. Is there an easy way to locate?

the fuse box is under the dash on the passenger side.According to the manual the turn signal fuse is the first fuse on the right hand side.The relay is right above it.

Got it all wired this weekend,turn signals,headlights,high beam,and hazard warning lights.Nice having them all so handy.I also made a battery tray and installed it up front under the hood and got a second battery hooked up in parallel with the main battery.Before when all lights were on while engine was running I would notice a big draw on the alternator,not now.

med_gallery_475_29_1088718.jpg

med_gallery_475_29_824549.jpg

I bought one of those and plan to put it on one of these days, but where did you get the shiny chrome cover, mine is basic black. and if any one else gets on and needs the wiring lay out, I have it, I had fun tearing it apart and tracing out the wires, pretty interesting. Also, can you throw in a few more photos from different angles, specifically from over the dash.

Kinarfi

I bought one of those and plan to put it on one of these days, but where did you get the shiny chrome cover, mine is basic black. and if any one else gets on and needs the wiring lay out, I have it, I had fun tearing it apart and tracing out the wires, pretty interesting. Also, can you throw in a few more photos from different angles, specifically from over the dash.

Kinarfi

Believe it or not the chrome piece is actually a chrome cover for some plumbing fixture, maybe a flush valve really not sure. We have a large storage container where I work and I had my guys cleaning it out one day right after I got the turn signal switch and saw the chrome piece and thought it would fit and to my surprise it was like it was made for it. I will try and get some more photos. Are you going to hook up the emergency flashers and head light switch on it? I did and took me a while to figure out what relays and how to wire them up. Should be a breeze for you.

Got my turn signal/light switch unit on and running, love it!!!! To mount it and stabilize it, I used 1" PVC and wrapped some glass tape, friction would work fine, aroundto build it up to go snugly into to hole in the unit, also cut the alignment piece of plastic out, on the other end I drilled out a portion of the PVC coupling I glue on so it would fit over the steering shaft housing and then cut it with a hack saw so I could put a hose clamp on it to make it secure.

There are 2 red wires, one is power in (violet/yellow strip) and the other is power out to the tail lights (red/yellow stripe),

Yellow is low beam (Orange), blue is high beam (brown/black stripe), the emergency flasher is black and green, but since we don't have emergency flasher, I tied the green to the red power in wire and the black to the over head lights (brown/white stripe), the yellow wires are interconnections and ended up not being used. The grey wire is for the horn.

Word of advise, don't get it too close to the steering wheel, you'll be bumping the signals on all the time.

Kinarfi