Quantcast

Quig

Trooper winch

When I bought my trooper the winch was gone. I would like to get 1, but would like advice on what to buy. appreciate any help. Probably just mount in reciever,& move from front to back as needed? Thanks, Quig

I have a 12V winch I bought at Harbor Freight that is strong enough to pull the race car into the toyhauler. Cheap & have had no problems. I will try to take pics of the HF winch and my Joyner winch, which is the early server setup, today.

rocmoc n AZ

I have a 12V winch I bought at Harbor Freight that is strong enough to pull the race car into the toyhauler. Cheap & have had no problems. I will try to take pics of the HF winch and my Joyner winch, which is the early server setup, today.

rocmoc n AZ

Thanks,, do you have the # of the 1 you got? Will go over fri. & look, Quig

To me 3000 is not enough pulling power when you get stuck in some good mud it's not going to pull you out and 30' of cable isn't much.And each layer you pull out your pulling power is less so if you have 30' of cable out it's pulling power is about 1500

I have the 3000 lb winch. Remember you are not lifting the Trooper off the ground. You are only helping so 3000, is plenty. I think the orginal winch on my Trooper isn't anymore than 3000 lbs. Just took a look at my Joyner winch and wouldn't surprise me if it is only 1500 lbs. Tiny motor & no gear reduction. I store it under my driver's seat and first time I have looked at it in a couple of years The thing is corroding like crazy.

Sorry I didn't get the pics today. I was under the Toyhauler ALL DAY welding, grinding and replacing. Less than half done. Having to rebuild 2 of the 4 spring hangers on the right side. Hopefully the left side isn't in as bad shape but I bet it is. Will find out tomorrow. Two of my grinds took a dump so had to use a air grinder and my big compressor is down also. Everything is getting old and breaking. One of the grinders I have had and used for 40 years.

rocmoc n AZ

To me 3000 is not enough pulling power when you get stuck in some good mud it's not going to pull you out and 30' of cable isn't much.And each layer you pull out your pulling power is less so if you have 30' of cable out it's pulling power is about 1500

Plumber, I think you have the numbers reversed. The cable has the least pulling power when its all rolled up on the spool and the most when its all off the spool. YOur right about the 30 feet of cable not being enough, not near enough. If your in the woods, you may get away with it but when more out in the open an anchor point may be a ways away. When I redo my winch, I'm planning on running a minimum of 100' and more likely 150'. Over kill is better then under kill.

Lenny

Plumber, I think you have the numbers reversed. The cable has the least pulling power when its all rolled up on the spool and the most when its all off the spool. YOur right about the 30 feet of cable not being enough, not near enough. If your in the woods, you may get away with it but when more out in the open an anchor point may be a ways away. When I redo my winch, I'm planning on running a minimum of 100' and more likely 150'. Over kill is better then under kill.

Lenny

Unless I'm reading it wrong this is for a warn rt40 and on the 1st layer it's 4000 and on the 4th layer it's 2512 lbs

PERFORMANCE DATA

Pull by Layer

Layer/lbs. (kgs.)

1/4000 (1814)

2/3320 (1506)

3/2855 (1295)

4/2512 (1140)

Unless I'm reading it wrong this is for a warn rt40 and on the 1st layer it's 4000 and on the 4th layer it's 2512 lbs

PERFORMANCE DATA

Pull by Layer

Layer/lbs. (kgs.)

1/4000 (1814)

2/3320 (1506)

3/2855 (1295)

4/2512 (1140)

The first layer they are refering to is the first layer that is on the spool. The second layer goes over the top of it and so forth. Kind of like the bigger the tire you put on a vehicle, the less hard it pulls.

Lenny

The first layer they are refering to is the first layer that is on the spool. The second layer goes over the top of it and so forth. Kind of like the bigger the tire you put on a vehicle, the less hard it pulls.

Lenny

Ok I was thinking the 1st layer off the spool not rolling back on the spool my mistake

Lenny

I agree too short. That is why I carry a 30 foot tow strap with us. The first and only time I used the winch I didn't have anything with us. We high-centered and were 10 feet short of cable in reaching the nearest object. Luckily a Jeep came by and position himself so I could attach to him. When we got home, tow strap went in! Almost 3 years ago.

rocmoc n AZ

I agree too short. That is why I carry a 30 foot tow strap with us. The first and only time I used the winch I didn't have anything with us. We high-centered and were 10 feet short of cable in reaching the nearest object. Luckily a Jeep came by and position himself so I could attach to him. When we got home, tow strap went in! Almost 3 years ago.

rocmoc n AZ

My winch is 4500 lbs and the cable is 80' and I have another 50' cable to tie onto. I use my winch almost everytime I go out mostly pulling other people out I have it set up on a winch cradle with disconnect so I can put it on the front or back

The original Joyner winch is mounted on a server tongue and can be installed in the front or rear with the controls on the dash. After pulling it out from under the seat, I 'm thinking about leaving it at home. Never had a winch on any of my Jeeps or Dune Buggies.

rocmoc n AZ

The original Joyner winch is mounted on a server tongue and can be installed in the front or rear with the controls on the dash. After pulling it out from under the seat, I 'm thinking about leaving it at home. Never had a winch on any of my Jeeps or Dune Buggies.

rocmoc n AZ

Is your's like either of the one's I refered to earlier?

Thanks everyone for input,,Quig

Yes, my Joyner winch is most similar to the 3000 lb winch. My other Harbor F winch IS the 3000 lb 12V and I have another Harbor F winch that is 120V.

rocmoc n AZ

I’ve posted this video before on here. I think these are worth a look. Maxtrax have been around for a while now, but are still well over priced for what is basically, just harden plastic. Look at how well they work though and how easy would it be to strap them to you roof or rear roll cage. I've used the stock Joyner winch a few times now and it has not let me down yet.

Cheers Mike

Putting my old Mile Marker 9500LB on mine.... Dont want to be trapped in a mud pit like I did in my 4X4 took my winch and 2 other 3500s to get me out.......You figure the thing weighs in at what 1700 or so add supplies my and my buddies big ass's and mud it aint gonna work..Specialy up hill.....Just my 2 cents>>>

I have my winch on a winch cradle so I can use it up front or in the rear I have a mile marker pe4500 and it has quick disconnect fittings on it to make it easy to move to front and rear

I have a 2000lb HF winch on my 1600cc 2600lb joyner and I used it to pull myself out of thick clay mud down to the floor pan. Luckily someone else with me had a bigger buggy I used as an ancor point. Just keep a long tow strap with you. I got it on sale with a coupon for $50. Can't beat the value for the price.

I agree, if your that deep in mud, you need lots of winch power. I recently put synthetic line on my 4500 lb winch I have on my Trooper. Took off 50 feet of steel cable and was able to get 85 feet of synthetic line on. I figure that anchor points arn't always close. With the extra length I can use a pully and double up the pulling power. Used the winch the other day when Kinarfi helped pull me out of a tight spot. We inadvertantly jerked it quite hard and snapped the line. Actually the line held OK but the it brolke off at the anchor point on the drum. I had the line out all the way with no turns on the derum and it broke where it pulls over a square corner. Wizzed by my wife but no worry with synthetic. If it was steel It would have been a real scare. Also needed to use the full 85 feet to connect to Kinarfis Trooper.,

Lenny