Quantcast

differential parts

When Kinarfi and I took apart my front differential, we found one of the washers that slip behind the spider gears was missing (there were only 3 installed from the factory--guess it was lunch time when it can to install #4). I was wondering if any of you out there who have spare parts or have had to tear theirs apart may have an extra one of these washers I could buy off of you. This is the spherical or curved washer and one is supposed to sit behind each of the 4 spider gears and acts like a bearing/bushing between the spider gear and the cone they sit in.

Kinarfi and I have been trying to find one that would work from a driveline shop, but not having much luck so thought I would throw it out to you all. I do have the dimensions if you are not sure if you have the right one. Thanks for looking and let me know if you find one you would be willing to part with or if you have other ideas on where I might find one (silverbullet didn't have one).

Jeff

2136475190104282158kcKlnl_th.jpg

Guest Lenny

When Kinarfi and I took apart my front differential, we found one of the washers that slip behind the spider gears was missing (there were only 3 installed from the factory--guess it was lunch time when it can to install #4). I was wondering if any of you out there who have spare parts or have had to tear theirs apart may have an extra one of these washers I could buy off of you. This is the spherical or curved washer and one is supposed to sit behind each of the 4 spider gears and acts like a bearing/bushing between the spider gear and the cone they sit in.

Kinarfi and I have been trying to find one that would work from a driveline shop, but not having much luck so thought I would throw it out to you all. I do have the dimensions if you are not sure if you have the right one. Thanks for looking and let me know if you find one you would be willing to part with or if you have other ideas on where I might find one (silverbullet didn't have one).

Jeff

2136475190104282158kcKlnl_th.jpg

I have a thought that should work. The stock washer is fairly soft like mild steel. I think if you can find a piece of bearing brass (I think it is Brass 360) in sheet that is the same thickness or within a couple of thousands. that you could make one. Brass would be my first choise but a piese of mile sheet steel would probably work ok too. First drill a hole in it to the same size as in the existing washers. Then cut it into a washer maybe 1/8" larger then the stock washer. Take this blank and put it into the spider gear housing in between a spider gear and one of the curved surfaces the washers normally seat up against. Then put a short pin thru the spider gear and washer and into the housing to align things. A short bolt that doesn't stick all the way thru would work fine. Cut one off if you have to. Put the head of the bolt against the inside side of the spider gear. Then use a press, big c-clamp or whatever you can come up with to push on a pin coming from the opposite side of the housing thru the pin hole and seating against the bolt head and press the spider gear up against the inside wall of the housing. A lead or soft steel hammer would even work to form it. This should form the washer into the spherical shape you need. After you get it pressed to shape, strike the head of the bolt while the washer is still in between the gear and housing, with a heavy more solid hammer a few times to take out any spring back of the newly formed washer. Now, trim the outside of the new washer to the correct size and you should have it.

Lenny

I tried contacting him over the weekend via email for something else but has not responded. If you get a response, let me know and I will do the same for you.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

ROCMOC,

I got a message back wihting a couple of hours today from the "jefferyphx" guy with all the bits and pieces...don't know if you ever heard back from him regarding your inquiry but seemed to respond fast to me...unfortunately did not have one of the washers I need or at least he doesn't know if he does as it does not have a part number.

Jeff

He never wrote me back. Now looking back, Lenny & I should have bid more for some of the parts. I tried to buy the clutches and they must have had deep pockets as I was the under-bidder with a health bid. Some of these guys were just buying to make a buck and were not really car/off-road/toy guys. Oh well! Thanks for letting me know.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

ROCMOC,

I got a message back wihting a couple of hours today from the "jefferyphx" guy with all the bits and pieces...don't know if you ever heard back from him regarding your inquiry but seemed to respond fast to me...unfortunately did not have one of the washers I need or at least he doesn't know if he does as it does not have a part number.

Jeff

try giving casey a call at jmc,he should be able to help you.

Who is Casey? What is jmc? How do I get a hold of him?

How is that for asking a lot of questions when you were trying to help?

Casey Strebe, he use to work for team joyner before they folded and went to work at jmc who was supposed to be the new north american distributor for joyner vehicles.as far as i know they are still in business but not with joyners.he had many parts at his house when i went by there tp buy some parts from him after joyner closed their doors.go to their web page at www.jmcmotors.us. get the number and ask for casey.good luck.

Casey from JMC referred me to a guy named Chris who has done some work on joyner differentials. He is checking through things (Junk box) to see if he has one...said he very well may have one and would get back to me. Will keep you posted.

Jeff

Can you PM me his number?

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...