Quantcast

Cams update?

2scoops

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plumber, can we get an update on the Cams? Hows it going? Smooth install? Is it tuned in? Torque increase?

Can't wait for some feedback on a stock motor!

I will know more tomorrow I talk to the mechanic tomorrow on when he is going to installing them. I was going to install them but I'm just like rocmoc to many thing going on right now.

Guest Lenny

I will know more tomorrow I talk to the mechanic tomorrow on when he is going to installing them. I was going to install them but I'm just like rocmoc to many thing going on right now.

Are you also advancing your cam timing by using an altered upper belt pully?

Lenny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about the question about changing the cam timing, would it be of any value to be able to change the cam timing while the engine is running and have the timing controlled by the computer, so the the timing can be changed for low speed and changed again for high speed? I think it would be doable.

Kinarfi

I was thinking about the question about changing the cam timing, would it be of any value to be able to change the cam timing while the engine is running and have the timing controlled by the computer, so the the timing can be changed for low speed and changed again for high speed? I think it would be doable.

Kinarfi

Can't change the cam timing as it is all mechanical. There is thing that you could do to change it by manipulating the timing belt but very complicated to set up. You would have a longer belt to create some slack. That slack would then be taken up on one side or the other of the top pully, rotating the pully advancing or retarding it some. To messy to do.

Lenny

Can't change the cam timing as it is all mechanical. There is thing that you could do to change it by manipulating the timing belt but very complicated to set up. You would have a longer belt to create some slack. That slack would then be taken up on one side or the other of the top pully, rotating the pully advancing or retarding it some. To messy to do.

Lenny

I was thinking a linear actuator on the side going to the cam pulley and a spring loaded take up on the other and depending on what you need, the actuator pushes on the belt and backs off to advance or vise versa. That wouldn't be so tough would it? The linear actuator could be driven by a stepper motor.

I was thinking a linear actuator on the side going to the cam pulley and a spring loaded take up on the other and depending on what you need, the actuator pushes on the belt and backs off to advance or vise versa. That wouldn't be so tough would it? The linear actuator could be driven by a stepper motor.

Your idea is ok but there isn't any room under the cover.

Lenny

ok plumber what a bout the cams ? dedub.

Well this is what happen and why I have not gave a cam update. I hire a mechanic with 40 years experience that I know for 30 years to do the job and it went wrong everybody I talk to says he didn't have it in time right and when he turn the key it bent six valves. So I had to have the head redone we have all that done but when it bend my valves it also broke and cracked some of my shimes so I had to fine some new shims. With the new cams the shims are not thick enough so you have to put a shim under a shim. But i found a shim thick enough so you don't have to put a shim under a shim I order them today so this is were I'm at

Well this is what happen and why I have not gave a cam update. I hire a mechanic with 40 years experience that I know for 30 years to do the job and it went wrong everybody I talk to says he didn't have it in time right and when he turn the key it bent six valves. So I had to have the head redone we have all that done but when it bend my valves it also broke and cracked some of my shimes so I had to fine some new shims. With the new cams the shims are not thick enough so you have to put a shim under a shim. But i found a shim thick enough so you don't have to put a shim under a shim I order them today so this is were I'm at

Thats a bummer.Good luck this time around.

Sorry to hear that. This is why I am putting it off for a while. I'd hate to lose use of my Trooper through the summer. Hopefully the upgrade in torque will erase the bad memory. I just hope you remember what your Trooper used to feel like.

Sorry to hear that. This is why I am putting it off for a while. I'd hate to lose use of my Trooper through the summer. Hopefully the upgrade in torque will erase the bad memory. I just hope you remember what your Trooper used to feel like.

You don't know how much you miss something until you don't have it. My wife will be glad when I get it back she said I been a butt head

• 1 month later...

IT'S ALIVE, Well first of all let me give many thanks to Silverbullet if we had more business like him joyner would be a better product. Thats why I will buy all my stuff from Silverbullet he's the man when it comes to joyner parts again many thanks Rick I guess thats enought ass kissing LOL. Ok about the cam's when I started my engine it blew up just kidding. IT sounds awesome just like a car with a cam in it you can hear it the same thing here my wife said it sound like a crotch rocket .I have not took it out any were yet just across the street in a field will be going riding this weekend.But you can feel it in 2nd and 3rd real nice there is a short straight section that I get on it and it pick up about 5 more mph in it.Will write more this weekend after taking it out.

Great news! When the cams became a development item the desire was for more low-end torque. This does not necessarily transfer into more speed. We need a slow hill/rock climbing test report. For us slow go pull hard types, find a hill you use to climb and see if there is any improvement in torque at a slow speed. Would help with my decision.

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ

Mine will idle smooth with the cam but I have an after market computer and I was able to tune out any looping at idle. Looping at idle is a good thing when it comes to sound. Glad to hear it Plumber. Welcome back to the living.

Lenny

Great news! When the cams became a development item the desire was for more low-end torque. This does not necessarily transfer into more speed. We need a slow hill/rock climbing test report. For us slow go pull hard types, find a hill you use to climb and see if there is any improvement in torque at a slow speed. Would help with my decision.

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ

Will do this weekend rocmoc and Thanks lenny

How'd dem cams do?

Great this should have been the way the trooper should of came out from the factory with. I think it runs cooler now to it never went over 180 I think they have these engines running to lean to past all the EPA stuff.I'm very happy with them I'm still ajusting my fuel controller to dail it in. If I had to do it all over again I would have just took the head off and send it to silverbullet to start with It made it real easy doing it that way. I also put a muffler on it my radiator fan is louder now than the tropper is and I put that expanded metal over the back to let some of the heat out of the engine compartment. Now I'm putting new gauges on it too