Quantcast

Hayg Fuel Pump

showa

Anyone familiar with these ??? Looking at replacement for my T2...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayg-OEM-Inline-Fuel-Pump-0-580-254-910-0580254910-New-/230568738342#vi-content

Not familiar with that brand but it looks like it would be fine based on looks. Thats easy to say because they all look like the Bosch. Hardto tell what is a knock off and what is not. The price is good enough you could buy 2 and have a backup.

Lenny

Not familiar with that brand but it looks like it would be fine based on looks. Thats easy to say because they all look like the Bosch. Hardto tell what is a knock off and what is not. The price is good enough you could buy 2 and have a backup.

Lenny

what is the PSI rating on it?

Ricksrb is correct in checking the pressure of the pump. There are two different types of pumps that are common. One is high pressure for port injection and the other is a low pressure for throttle body injection. The low pressure won't work, it's only aboutr 15psi. The low pressure ones are cheaper.

Lenny

OK... Per customer service:

73psi

38/gph

Didn't have inlet/outlet sizes available to him.... Go figure...

But it looks like I'll be ordering one soon....

Looks same as stock except has threaded outlet instead of barbed end. A 17mm socket took care of the outlet end swap and I'll be damned if it didn't start better than before.

Looks like Kinarfi will have to add this to the parts list.

• 1 month later...

Ok.... Here's one for you guys.....

Put in the second Hayg fuel pump, starts right up, runs fine... Buggy is on trailer this whole time mind you...

Week later the pump is dead just like first one did....

I turn off main elec switch when I shut down buggy each time....

Any thoughts what might be killing my pumps ???

Kurt

Hello Kurt,

Even tho you have the main elec switch off, still check to see if there is any current still going to the pump. Maybe there is a smash, burnt or crossed wired still sending current to the pump. It could also be a very small current just enough to be there but not enough to turn the blades. Kinarfi, think that could do it?

Check and make sure your ground straps on the trans & engine are clean & tight.

rocmoc n AZ/MX

Ok.... Here's one for you guys.....

Put in the second Hayg fuel pump, starts right up, runs fine... Buggy is on trailer this whole time mind you...

Week later the pump is dead just like first one did....

I turn off main elec switch when I shut down buggy each time....

Any thoughts what might be killing my pumps ???

Kurt

When you say "starts right up, runs fine" that's when you turn the key on, not just hook it up and it does shut down with the key, right? I'm wondering, just how good is a Hayg pump. Is there a possibility that you have water in the gas? Send me you bad one so I can test it, if you want, I won't damage it with out getting back to you for permission and I'll send it back if you want. Do you have the equipment to test for resistance, volts, amps, etc.

The way these pumps work is they move the gas past the armature, the bearings and the brushes, I suggest mounting it vertically so if you DO have water in your fuel, it can drain back out if it's in the pump when you shut down and if there is a strong possibility that you have debris in the tank, maybe a filter ahead of the pump, I prefer and have my filter after the pump in case the pump adds debris to the fuel. As for Rocmoc's suggestions, do check for voltage when off and that the ground wire has a good connection to ground, I doubt that a low voltage would be there via damaged wire, the pump needs too much power for leakage current to damage it.

I lean toward contaminated fuel or jump pumps, but just sitting for a week shouldn't kill even a poorly built pump, and these don't look like junk. How much alcohol is in your fuel? What do the sales people say?

Kinarfi

Question: I have been using the barbed output end from the original fuel pump. Yesterday I was looking at it and noticed that it had a check ball with spring type system built into the barb. Closer inspection it looked like it was jammed somewhat and possibly blocking a lot of the flow.

Is this possibly the culprit that creates too much back pressure and smokes the pump?

Is there any consequences if I remove the check ball from the barb end?

Am I totally off base here?

Kurt

Oh Boy!!! I never should have said anything about not having any problem with my fuel pump, it quit on me yesterday while out in the middle of nowhere. Lucky for me I had a spare one with me. I'am going back to the Bosch pumps no more trying to save a couple of bucks. Personally I will not recommend these pumps, spent the money and get a good one.

Damn, sorry about the jinx....

Kinarfi, you may want to add a caveat to the Hayg listing in parts thread... "Buy at own risk"

With that said, anyone have a Walbro part number that would work?

Their GSL394 is listed as "high pressure" and 190LPH.....

Just trying to see what else is out there besides Bosch.....