After Jamboree wil be in UT

Guest Lenny

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lenny

Decided that my big paddle tires are just too much for the T2 with the power I'm producing. It goes really good in the dunes but puts too much stress on the drive train. As a result, I damaged my front differential by blowing out the 4 wheel drive engagement mechanism. Decided to sell the paddles and stay on the trails instead. I like the trails best anyway and with my 31" regular tires I do really good in the dunes anyway, just not as good.

Lenny

Well I finally got the time to tear apart the front of my Trooper to see where the damage was. To my supprise, the diff was just fine. I tore it apart anyway to check things and was pleasantly supprised to see the oil fairly clean and still purple (Royal Purple Oil) with a relatively small amount of metal flecks in it. Before the diff was upgraded, the purple oil I use was turned grey with fleck contamination. Guess it shows that the diffs run much cleaner when set up correctly. I've hammered this diff and it still looks like new inside. What I did find is one of the CV joints had come apart, loosing its balls which were in the dust boot. No damage though and I was able to put it back together. I apparantly over extended or over compressed my suspension travel. Remember that I am running 14-1/2" of travel which puts me right at the edge of the maximum angle of the CVs. I'll be tightening up my limit straps about 1/4" to 3/8" and blocking my bumpstops down about the same. This should eliminate the issue. I also found some more frame cracks. This time at the front just behind the differential lower frame tubes. I've reworked this area with rewelding and gusseting so it too shouldn't be a problem again. I run this thing real hard. I'll take wooptie doos at speed where it does fine but once in awhile I will come across one that is extra deep and it will really cause the machine to buck real hard. It's no wonder I'm cracking the frame burt when I get done with it, I'll expect it to take it.

Lenny

After riding with Lenny thu the woopies at speed, I can say his or my back is going to fail before his Trooper. My back was sore for a couple of days after riding with him. I think Lenny is going to have to put some suspension travel in the seats mounts as well or slow down. Not sure if Lenny knows how to slow down, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

EDIT Kinarfi - - He doesn't :blink:

Well I finally got the time to tear apart the front of my Trooper to see where the damage was. To my supprise, the diff was just fine. I tore it apart anyway to check things and was pleasantly supprised to see the oil fairly clean and still purple (Royal Purple Oil) with a relatively small amount of metal flecks in it. Before the diff was upgraded, the purple oil I use was turned grey with fleck contamination. Guess it shows that the diffs run much cleaner when set up correctly. I've hammered this diff and it still looks like new inside. What I did find is one of the CV joints had come apart, loosing its balls which were in the dust boot. No damage though and I was able to put it back together. I apparantly over extended or over compressed my suspension travel. Remember that I am running 14-1/2" of travel which puts me right at the edge of the maximum angle of the CVs. I'll be tightening up my limit straps about 1/4" to 3/8" and blocking my bumpstops down about the same. This should eliminate the issue. I also found some more frame cracks. This time at the front just behind the differential lower frame tubes. I've reworked this area with rewelding and gusseting so it too shouldn't be a problem again. I run this thing real hard. I'll take wooptie doos at speed where it does fine but once in awhile I will come across one that is extra deep and it will really cause the machine to buck real hard. It's no wonder I'm cracking the frame burt when I get done with it, I'll expect it to take it.

Lenny

Are you cracking up too? :rolleyes: