Quantcast

After Jamboree wil be in UT

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. There are a lot of really good trails there and great sand dunes. Rocmoc, if you stop by the first of May, we'll go over there and play on some of it. We would need about 3 days to see all of the variation. Kinarfi, you and Linda may like to join us. Besides I have an oscillscope.for you. Anyone else that wants to welcome to come along. State Park camping rates are only about $18 a night wit5h drive thru sites. Dry camping is also available a few miles down the road each way.

Lenny

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have reserved space 14 in this campground, http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Coral_Pink_Sand_Dunes_State_Park/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=UT&parkId=345131&topTabIndex=CampingSpot for May 4, 5 & 6. Will depart the morning of the 7th for home. There is a dry camping area before you get to the campground as you enter the park. At $56 for 3 nights I would save a small amount running the gen while dry camping and I like the quiet of NO GEN. There are other sites open for now but if you are going and want to be in the campground, don't wait. The Cancellation Fee is $13 if cancelled 4 days before the reservation date so not much at risk.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Note, I don't think the campground has power. Just, water, shower, dump & paved sites so no sand in the MH. Everything but power. SO disregard my costing a little more. rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

What are you saying? are you going to be in the 14 a night park or the free BLM with me and maybe others?

For now I have a reservation. Lenny is going to check out the dry camping & campground this weekend. Will decide after we compare info and decide. Watched two youtube videos, dry camping & campground locations. I like the campground but not if it requires daily fee to enter in addition to the campground fee. Will firm up after Lenny visit this weekend.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

What a terrible life you guys are now living.You no longer have the joy of working 10-12 hours a day.Nothing better to do then visit different areas to get out in the great outdoors and go on trail rides..What a pity....Does that sound like its coming from someone envious??? YOU BET IT IS..... :angry::D

Guest Lenny

Thankx Ricksrb, Your right, being retired is nice. I learned something about retirement. When I was younger and still trying to come up with enough money to retire, the money I thought I needed was way too much. Ultimately I ended up with a lot less money then I once had but it doesn't matter. I'm by no means rich but I do have enough to get along on ok. I've always lived not needing much. As long as I have my shop and a toy or two I'm happy. I don't even own a car, just a pickup truck. I found out that retirement wasn't about money anyway but about time. Just being able to do what I want everyday is worth far more then the couple of million I once had. If I would have known that I only needed this much money to be happy, I would have retired a long time sooner.

Looking forward to the rest of you guys and gals joining us.

Lenny

Thankx Ricksrb, Your right, being retired is nice. I learned something about retirement. When I was younger and still trying to come up with enough money to retire, the money I thought I needed was way too much. Ultimately I ended up with a lot less money then I once had but it doesn't matter. I'm by no means rich but I do have enough to get along on ok. I've always lived not needing much. As long as I have my shop and a toy or two I'm happy. I don't even own a car, just a pickup truck. I found out that retirement wasn't about money anyway but about time. Just being able to do what I want everyday is worth far more then the couple of million I once had. If I would have known that I only needed this much money to be happy, I would have retired a long time sooner.

Looking forward to the rest of you guys and gals joining us.

Lenny

Same here,wont have much when the time comes.Just hope we can be in the same situation you are in,enough to get by and enjoy a few things.Just hope you guys arent tired of this recreation by the time we retire.You guys just go on enjoying yourselves and feeding us little bits and pieces of your adventures to keep us going.

Guest Lenny

Hey, l was building off road vehicles when I in high school. Not likely I'll get sick of it before I die. Just got away from it for along time trying to make enough to retire and now have finally gotten back to it.

Lenny

Called the park this morning. The Camping fee for using the campground includes the fee to enter the developed part of the park. There is NO FEE for using the rest of the park. So; if camped at the dry lake/ dry camping, NO FEES. But if you want to use the showeres or dump site, there will be a fee. I looked at GoogleEarth and the Dry Camping is at one end of the park and the Campground is in the middle.

Lenny & Kinarfi, if you BOTH decide to dry camp I will also. I will cancel my reservation and eat the $13 or save $43. Either way is a win as we will be THERE!!!!!!! Just let me know.

BUT I will have to find a place to dump my tanks as I will have been on the road for a few day by the time I reach Lenny's.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I was always too busy as a kid getting in trouble and breaking stuff. My older brother is a great mechanic because of it... LOL.. Now I have the time to learn how to fix it after I break it....

Just need to convince wife to spend $$$ on a shop..... So I can quit working outside....

Called the park this morning. The Camping fee for using the campground includes the fee to enter the developed part of the park. There is NO FEE for using the rest of the park. So; if camped at the dry lake/ dry camping, NO FEES. But if you want to use the showeres or dump site, there will be a fee. I looked at GoogleEarth and the Dry Camping is at one end of the park and the Campground is in the middle.

Lenny & Kinarfi, if you BOTH decide to dry camp I will also. I will cancel my reservation and eat the $13 or save $43. Either way is a win as we will be THERE!!!!!!! Just let me know.

BUT I will have to find a place to dump my tanks as I will have been on the road for a few day by the time I reach Lenny's.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Not sure which way you would be coming from but if heading north on the 15 through Mesquite Nv there is/was a rv park on the main drag we stoped at some years back and for a fee we dumped.Sorry but cant remember the name.Thats not too far from lenny.

I was always too busy as a kid getting in trouble and breaking stuff. My older brother is a great mechanic because of it... LOL.. Now I have the time to learn how to fix it after I break it....

Just need to convince wife to spend $$$ on a shop..... So I can quit working outside....

Isn't it always Sunny and Calm in LV? AND when it gets too hot, a night light under the stars!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

There is a place to dump just before you get to my house. It's ust off interstate 15, north of St George. Take exit 16 (state hwy 9 which leads to my house), go about 1/4 mile east and it's the first gas station on the left. You will need to get off to the right and go under hwy 9 to get to it. Dump site is in the rear. You can just help yourself.

Lenny

Thanks Rick but I will be coming from Eloy, NV on the backroads of Nevada. Coming from the WEST. There is always somewhere! Lenny has a fish pond!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Is that Ely? Why not like in that chevy chase movie,the criswolds christmas i think.His brother in-law parked in the drive and in the middle of night dumping out in the gutter in front of his house..eeeeewwww...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lenny

So far so good. Main frame damage is repaired. Can repair the shock by stealing a shaft from a pair of Fox shocks I have that will go on my truck. Need to shorten the Fox truck shocks anyway so this will work fine for me. I'm not going to worry about the new clutch if I don't get it in time. Current clutch should get me buy. I see Mike and Rochell in the sand rail and Jeff and I in my Trooper for the dunes. Then for the trails, I see Jeff and LInda in Jeffs Trooper and MIke and I in my Trooper. This makes everything sort of work. What do you think? Don't think Jeffs Trooper will do the dunes good. Getting into them is a bit of a steep climb and he may not make. He can try it though and if that works then all the wives can ride the dunes. I'll run paddles in the dunes and switch out to my regular tires for the trails. Jeanne said she would be more then happy to spend the time visiting with Linda and Rochelle. Unless I run into an unforseen problem, Jeanne and I plan on being there.

Lenny

Sounds good, we will all be at the driy camp location Friday. We won't get there unil late afternoon as we are stopping to tour some Caverns Fri AM. If we can get to the caverns early enough Thursday to catch the last tour we will be earlier to the dunes.

We love caverns!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexcio

We are here! This place is one of a kind with the closest other being Coos Bay, OR. There is lots of area here to beyond running in the dunes so first take is it would make a great Jamboree location. Lenny, Kinarfi and myself have made the trek. The area is Beautiful & quiet. Will unload in the AM and make our first run!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

First the GOOD!

The area is in total SUPER. We played some in the sand and rode a 24+ mile loop. The loop had an ending that matches most any ride or area. Lenny did great in the sand, will let him give details & Kinarfi did better than either Lenny or myself expected. Sand is red with plant life ranging from cactus to trees. The sand is the really soft and pulls every HP out of an engine.

The Bad,

I was worried about the elevation change for my sand rail. It is setup for sea level and we are over 6,000 ft. No matter how much I adjusted the carb, removed the baffle and removed the spark arrester, I could not get the engine to perform. Just too large of jets for the elevation.

Everyone played in the sand for a while until I quit as I was not going to hurt the engine for the sake of a little more fun. We came back to camp, had lunch and went out on the loop. I rode first with Lenny and finished the loop with Kinarfi. It is a great trail with sand, fast sections, slow techy section, slick rock, elevation change & VIEWS. If not for the Hanksville, Ut jamboree, I would say the best.

Don't like being a passenger so we are headed home in the AM but we will be returning.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

Had great fun at Coral Pink Sand Dunes area. Decided that my big paddle tires are just too much for the T2 with the power I'm producing. It goes really good in the dunes but puts too much stress on the drive train. As a result, I damaged my front differential by blowing out the 4 wheel drive engagement mechanism. Decided to sell the paddles and stay on the trails instead. I like the trails best anyway and with my 31" regular tires I do really good in the dunes anyway, just not as good. As a result, put my regular tires back on and did the trail riding in 2 wheel drive. That worked out fine except in one spot that was a long nasty and sandy climb up from a river crossing. Even though I only had 2 wheel drive, I did get up it with a bit of help from Kinarfi. The trails we rode when Rocmoc was there were good trails with lots of variety from fast straights to tight twisty turns to rocky steeper climbs and great senery. I did manage to flatten a tire on our first trail ride. Even though i patched it, it still slow leaked through out the rest of the riding forcing us to stop now and then to air it back up. The second ride with Kinarfi was equally good with also a good variety of ups and downs, turns and fast stuff along with even better senery. This ride was 6 hours from start to finish covering 53 miles which gives you an idea of the speed we were able to maintain. Kinarfi did the third ride with him and his wife alone as I was sick of fussing with the flattening tire. I'll let him describe that ride and tell you about the trail that turned him back because it went just down and down. Not sometyhing to do when out alone. Can't wait to get back there again. There are many many trails that we have never ridden yet.

Great trip with good people. Kinarfi had remembered his camera so maybe he will post pics.

Lenny