Quantcast

2013 Hisun 700 not making power

Go to solution Solved by Andreas Ahrens,

Hi All,

Our Hisun is not making any power. Once you start to climb RPM's it almost sounds like the timing is out, it sputters and farts and doesn't want to climb RPM's at all. It starts fine though.

I checked and set the valves, they were a bit tight but not bad. The spark plug is very black. The exhaust valves are a real nightmare to get to fyi.

On the last service the dealer put the wrong plug in, so I'm switching that back to stock as soon as we get one. I'm also thinking the air filter should be checked/cleaned. 

Any other things to check?

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the spark plug  to the right plug made a big difference. There is lots of low end power, smooth. A little less high end power but it isn't so rough at the high end. as it was but still not great. It does not heat up as fast or as much but still smells rich when it starts and is harder to start warmed up. Also still will stall if you let it idle to open a gate in gear. Seems like it won't stall if you remember to put it in neutral.

Next I guess is pull the air filter, as it's still not running great.

If it is CPU controlled, which sounds likely. I'd also check the sensor that controls the air/fuel mix. Give the element a good cleaning. Using the approved cleaning method of course. 

Find the reason for that black plug. And you'll likely solve most, if not all of your problem. You just have to find out what's happening to the air/fuel mix.

18 minutes ago, Andreas Ahrens said:

Where is that sensor located? I imagine contact cleaner on a rag would work? I'm guessing it should be located between the air filter and the throttle body somewhere, or on the throttle body.

It should be somewhere near the breather. Before the throttle body. And should be the only electronics there, in that part of the system. So just follow the tube, looking for wires. 

There's a very real possibility of contamination on these things. You need to be very careful not to touch any part of the element. Doing that will probably ruin it. So...no rags. You should get some mass air flow cleaner. It's available at the auto parts, and probably Walmart too. 

You carefully remove it, and hose it down. Holding it element up, or sideways, so any loosened crud doesn't flow onto the element. Making sure not to let anything touch the element. No wiping, not even if it looks like it needs it. Then let it dry for a few minutes. Then reinstall. 

The whole process takes about the same amount of time as it took to write it. Probably be a good time to do the car too lol. It's that easy.

I should also add. Only the mass air flow cleaner is suitable for this. Do NOT  use carb cleaner, electrical contact cleaner etc. The proper cleaner is cheap enough. And the others will leave residue. Residue is as bad as crud. 

What's not cheap is a new mass air flow sensor. They're very sensitive. Not necessarily delicate, but sensitive. And expensive in most cases. 

1 hour ago, Andreas Ahrens said:

I have "Air Intake Medic" by Gunk and some other air intake cleaner, I assume this is the stuff?

It should say that it's for mass air flow sensors specifically. Some cleaners are for cleaning the throttle body through the intake. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. I always use the cheap stuff. It's right in the title on the can. Yours might be in the fine print. 

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Andreas Ahrens said:

Well the spark plug did the trick, I'm shocked it's running so much better but it is. The wrong plug went bad quick and now it's running good again. I will still try to clean the MAF and air filter next time I have a chance.

That's good news! However, spark plugs usually go bad for a reason. It sounds like you have an underlying issue that still needs to be resolved. 

On the bright side of this, is the spark plug will give you an indication of what the issue is. By looking at how it's burning, you can tell what's going on there. If the problem comes up again, for the sake of long term engine health, and reliability, you'll need to find out why. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It'll have some kind of code reader connection. Not being an owner myself, I have no idea where it might be. Unfortunately, I'm almost certain that it isn't OBD2. Most likely it's a Delphi type.

The Delphi is a pre OBD2 reader, and doesn't support as many pids, or sensors. So it's a simpler system. But each manufacturer had it's own style of plug. The OBD2 was made mandatory, to standardize the whole messy arrangement. 

The factory sells a code reader for big money. Something in the $300 dollar range IIRC. But if it is indeed a Delphi. I believe that the readers are all pretty much the same, but use different plugs for different makes.

The generic reader kit is quite reasonably priced, and comes with some variety of plugs. But you'd need to research which one is required. Those that don't come with the kit, are sold separately. But you would need someone more familiar to confirm this, as well as compatibility. 

Some brands of vehicles, including s×s buggies like these. Will use other methods of acquiring codes. For example, the newer models will cause the dashboard clock to blink a designated sequence. Each fault code has it's own sequence. You just count the blinks. 

Not being an owner of one of these myself. I'm not aware of anything like that for your vehicle. But while researching which code reader will fit. You should inquire as to the possibility of that other cheaper, low tech method. 

If all of this sounds like a lot of trouble. You could just start eliminating possible faulty sensors, and other possibilities. I'd start by replacing any vacuum hoses, the crankcase ventilation, and fuel vapor return line. Then pull out the upstream, and downstream exhaust sensors.

One of the last guys that had a similar problem. Actually found exhaust issues were responsible for his trouble. He found this by a visual inspection, while pulling the exhaust sensors. 

It'll take a multimeter, and some time. And some sensors will just have to be replaced, since testing is not always an option. Typically they're pretty cheap. But it's all certainly doable. 

• 3 months later...

Well we've done more troubleshooting and gotten no where. We ordered a new injector as we are still having issues. It tends to run a bit better when cold but quickly flops and loses power. I tried seafoam on the injector and blowing it out with air to no success. We are also replacing the fuel pump, as the line cracked on the top long ago, but I don't think that's it as it is getting plenty of fuel.