Quantcast

Massimo Buck 400 Check Engine Light

j.fulciniti

Hello Folks - newbie here with my first post so go easy on me.  I picked up a Buck 400 in May 2020 direct from Massimo when they were doing a closeout sale on the 400 models.  I read the reviews and was skeptical. 

We live in a golf cart community  we do not plan any off roading - just some very mild work tasks like hauling firewood / brush etc.  Honestly, all we do is cruise around our neighborhood roads.  I pulled the trigger b/c the price was cheaper than a 2WD lifted golf cart and the Buck  had way more features.

We have a few steep hills and after about 20 - 30 minutes of cruising, my check engine light comes on.  It only happens when we are going up or down one of the hills .  We head straight home and things seem fine the next day.  Light never comes on unless we tackle multiple hills during one ride.

Should I be worried?  

PS - Unit is 4 months old and has 258 miles on it - barely broken in.  I've yet to go full throttle on a flat or up a hill. 

I sent a message to them yesterday and have not heard back yet.    The engine does seem hot.   Doesn't happen all the time but it happens.  I'm sure they'll tell me to take it to the service place which is a PITA.

I'm handy but by no means a mechanic.  My buddy is so when he's in town next week I'll have him take a peek.

1/2 hour (I need to confirm they still service Massimo) but it's the borrow my neighbors trailer, drive out there on Sat, let it sit for XX days and go pick it back up.  That's the PITA factor I'd rather avoid.  I posted in that other thread to get a copy of the service manual.  I'll have my buddy take a peek first.  He can literally fix just about anything.  Oddly, he's an airplane mechanic by trade but works on cars, boats, etc 

Welcome to the forum!

I'd check for low oil pressure as well as the fuel system. There's a low oil pressure indicator, that would cause the engine light. I know of no such thing for fuel. If the engine is otherwise running good. 

As far as the heat issue, that might cause it. But I'll bet that you either have a temp guage, or a temp light. So that probably wouldn't pop the engine light.

However, I hope you've seen the other threads about jumping the cooling fan. For full time fan operation. Whether you choose to go that way or not. You should at least be aware of what others have found to be best practice. 

That's why I inquired about the heat indicator, whether it is a gauge or light, or an LED dash such as mine is equipped. I was just trying to eliminate the overheating issue. But if the tech at Massimo suggests that it could possibly be a fuel delivery issue, I would think they know best. But it seems to me that it's a little soon for a fuel delivery system problem. Is there an indicator of some sort for low oil pressure?

The way it sounds, with the light coming on while it's on an incline. I'm thinking oil pressure. I've heard complaints from other owners, about low oil pressure, even when they're relatively new. And this would definitely be more of a problem on a hill. Does the light go off after you get it settled back down on flat terrain?

The more I think about it, it seems to happen on the decline VS incline.  But the same principal.   I've always gone straight home once the light comes on.     I parked it the other day, removed the seat and left it running.  The light did go off that day.

I have yet to set off the light driving on flats only but I've yet to push full throttle.  Our lake community has 25 MPH limit .

I'll continue to trial and error this before I take it for service. 

I think that's best. I'd find a way to check the oil pressure using an actual dial reading. Something that you can visually check as you drive. O'Reilly auto parts has a loan a tool program. Where you can probably find the necessary guage to check the pressure. Although you might have to buy an adapter.  The only issue would be finding a suitable place to plug into the block.

I'd also look for a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. That's where the fuel pressure guage goes. It will probably be at the very back if there is one. Not all fuel injection rails do.

If you take it in for service, you should ask about where these items would plug in. Because I really doubt that'll be in the service manual. And you should know this information. It will eventually come in handy. If not for yourself, then I know it'll be appreciated here.

Yes, it's a analog dial type guage, on a 3'-6' hose. You can hold it in your hand, or lay it on the seat while driving if you like. For a long term solution, you'd want a dash mount guage instead of a light. Like I said, the only issue is where to connect it to the motor. As it'll be different for every motor. 

The guage I'm thinking about is a diagnostic guage. It sounds like you're looking for a hard mount guage. They have most everything in guages that're electronic these days. I'm sure that the oil pressure isn't any different.  And supposedly the accuracy of the electrical versions of the guages are very reliable. I have no idea how the electrical version would communicate with the vehicle, to get that reading though. It would be the same as a car, I'm sure. So YouTube would probably have what you're looking for, to answer that question. The mechanical version plugs into the block, but it's a specific place. Each motor is different, so you'd have to find out where on yours would be best if you went that route. 

It's really a shame that these s×s manufacturers don't provide an access to the cpu. Something that you could hook up to a smartphone. You could monitor engine conditions, clear fault codes, change settings etc. But that would require spending as much as ten more dollars per unit lol. They could recoup any r&d cost on selling the app.

Yeah, it would be great if an owner could monitor what's going on with the unit. I have no idea what to do if, God forbid, I get a CEL. With my vehicles, I can just plug in the Bluedriver and check the codes. It will tell me what the code means, and even suggest some fixes. I don't know if there's even a port to plug in to. I try to do all the repairs and maintenance on my vehicles myself, but without any way to diagnose the issues, I have to use this site or bug the tech at Massimo for info. Kinda makes me feel odd, not having the ability to do things myself. 

Some kind of OBD2 or similar would be nice. I'm wondering what the tech does? Seems like since it's got fault code capability. It stands to reason that there's some way of getting to the computer. Mine is pre CPU, and a whole different brand altogether. But Kawasaki doesn't have a plug either I'd bet. Sure would simplify things though. 

I wonder if there is a flashing code with the CEL, or is it just a light that comes on? I guess the tech has a service manual and access to the manufacturer for any repairs. The older vehicles would flash a sequence, which could be interpreted using the manual or the internet to investigate what the code was for. Heck, there may be a port somewhere on the machine, but without a service manual I wouldn't know. That $75.00 fee is a bit steep for me, but if I can't locate one somewhere else, I will have to bite the bullet. These machines do have an on board computer of sorts, don't they?

4 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Hmmm...didn't know they offered a code reader, but I would think that the diagram provided by Joe Toup would be a much less expensive option, especially if you already own a code reader. I will have to check closer on that.

Do you have any idea where the port is located?

Don't know if theirs is a typical OBD2 code reader. If so, there's much cheaper options. I have no idea where the port might be. Except to guess that, like in a car, that it's in the driver's side compartment. If you have access to something that provides live data, that plugs into a standard OBD2 port. I'd give it a shot, see if it'll pair. You should keep us posted on the results. 

Follow up on my CEL. 

Saturday I took the 400 out on some back country roads with a few small hills and plenty of long straights.  I ran that thing fairly hard topping out at 37 MPH a couple times but still not full throttle.   I ran it long and hard (30 minutes +) and there was NO ISSUE with the CEL.  

Sunday, I took my grandson on a very short ride (5 minutes max) up a steep road near my house and then down the steep backside.  Damn CEL came on descending down the road.  

I'm convinced that driving down a prolonged steeper hill is causing that thing to go off.    I'll have to find some time and take it to a service center while it's still under warranty.