Quantcast

What do you do when

Travis
Go to solution Solved by Travis,

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, almost 2 weeks with no problems, went to go grab some firewood and it clicked 3 times. However i did notice the circuit relay was a bit loose and i pushed it up into the plug a bit further. so maybe that was it. maybe. i doubt it though. Murphy's law is the law of my life.

It did fine for 2 starts afterwards. So i guess we'll see over the next few days if it persists.

The thing i hate most is it's so freaking random.

EDIT:

I took a look at the new connector i put on the trigger wire at the solenoid, the dadgum wire pulled right out of it..... I got a new connector  crimped on their now and melted some solder down from the top.

21 minutes ago, Travis said:

Welp, almost 2 weeks with no problems, went to go grab some firewood and it clicked 3 times. However i did notice the circuit relay was a bit loose and i pushed it up into the plug a bit further. so maybe that was it. maybe. i doubt it though. Murphy's law is the law of my life.

It did fine for 2 starts afterwards. So i guess we'll see over the next few days if it persists.

The thing i hate most is it's so freaking random.

EDIT:

I took a look at the new connector i put on the trigger wire at the solenoid, the dadgum wire pulled right out of it..... I got a new connector  crimped on their now and melted some solder down from the top.

Random almost always = loose/corroded or otherwise poor connection, mechanical things (switches, relays, solenoids. etc.) usually either work or they don't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cliffyk said:

Random almost always = loose/corroded or otherwise poor connection, mechanical things (switches, relays, solenoids. etc.) usually either work or they don't.

if it persists, ill replace the female connectors at the Ignition switch (harness side)  and Relay. (Or when i get free time)

• 2 weeks later...

Acted up some again today....

so while i held the key in start, i kind of fumbled around with the ignition switch wires, on the Wiring harness side plug (female connectors which im about to replace) and i got one of the wires in a certain position once and it cranked over, but i couldn't get it to do it again. but where the plug in is, you have to have small hands to get to it.... maybe i need to fly someone from Kawasaki over here to reach back in there.

20210413_190338.thumb.jpg.82b496eee2b0a6db53ab53913bdafc61.jpgYou can see obvious corrosion in the top right terminal

That is where the white wire, which is fused and carries power from the battery to the keyswitch.

I did a resistance test on that 1 terminal, some instances it would show 0 resistance, and if i moved it some it it would vary from 3 to 9ohms , and a few times no continuity at all.

Here's what it looks like now, I put dielectric grease where the wire goes into the crimp terminal. I ran out and I want to put some on the blade connectors themselves. Then heatshrink each individual wire.

I also may try to find a big piece of heatshrink to seal this whole unit.

16183596388417785354720701584409.jpg

Went to o'reilly's and got some dielectric grease, i went ahead and cut off the plastic connector from the new  Chinese ignition switch, since the same corroding can and will happen in it anyway, so i got some quick disconnects and plugged each wire in individually,  also greased the wire where it crimps and where the 2 connectors connect. and then put some waterproof heatshrink over each connection and wrapped it in electrical tape tightly to "dress" it up a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well darn.

after doing the ignition plug in's all nice and pretty and the plugs for the  circuit relay, i went this evening, turn the key, Click. turn the key, Click,, turn the key, Click. Turn the key, VROOM, starts right up.

It then occured to me one connection i had neglected to change was the one that goes back to the neutral safety switch on the trans. looking at the wiring diagram, my interpretation is it acts like a ground for the starting circuit. so i cleaned it up, and put a new ring terminal on it.

we'll see.....