Quantcast

AshUoB

Airbag Safety for UTV

Hey everyone,

As I have previously mentioned, me and my group are designing a UTV for maintenance workers for a university project.

On the safety section of our report, I have noticed virtually no UTV's have airbag safety systems. Does anyone know why this is the case? It would seem like it would prevent a lot of injuries.

Thank you

Ash

i would think a large majority of UTV accidents are roll overs. in which you hopefully get held in by your seat belt, or you get thrown out the side. And then cars are more important to have them since there is a greater risk of collision from the front or back causing your head/torso to whip back or towards the steering wheel. and now cars have them on the side doors since your head would be  going towards a solid object.

Another reason  UTV's may not have them is since people may go over large bumps or hit potholes with them it may set them off when not needed, especially if one is defective.

Because it's a relatively slow speed crash, I'd think proper fitting seatbelts would be more useful. 

Maybe an enclosure to keep people, and pet, as well as cargo contained within the cab. Half doors would be perfect. With netting to discourage appendages hanging outside the window. 

• Like 1

No one wants them--if their was demand makers would be making them available--as added cost options if nothing else.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By soonerjeeper
      We had our second gathering for the Oklahoma RZR Riders and this time it was thousands of people that joined us for Doin the Dunes at Little Sahara in Waynoka, Ok. I had the privilege of being the event organizer/coordinator and running film. Quite the task. Below is a great depiction of the weekend. Including a big air completion and giant train ride through the dunes.

• By AshUoB
      Hello everyone,
      I am a mechanical engineering student who is trying to design a UTV to be used by maintenance workers around parks and university campuses. One of our unique selling points was that the rear cargo area would be modular so it can be swapped out for different "rear modules". For example, it could just be cargo hold but also a cage, refrigeration, more passenger seats or carrying woodchip etc.
      What would be an easy way of detaching the different rear modules and swapping with a new one? A way of securing it to the frame but also allowing it to be removed with ease. From what I've seen, most UTV bodies are directly bolted to the frame.
      Thank you for reading.
      Ash
    • By SxSs are Cool
      I got to spend a day in the new Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 and wrote a review for Autoweek. I speculate that the future of UTVs will include far more luxury than current models, sort of the way SUVs started out as pickup trucks and evolved into as much luxury as they could pack into them. We're sort of at a crossroad in this evolution. What do you guys think? Are UTVs getting more luxurious? Here's the article: 
      https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a34050614/side-by-sides-are-neck-and-neck-with-motorcycles-when-it-comes-to-fun/

• By john s
      just changed my shifter cables on my trailwagon (Honda engine)  and the thing started in neutral twice, but now won't.  Is it possible to just bypass the switch all together? If so....how?
    • By VRT
      I live in Las Vegas and am new to the board, I am looking for a four seat UTV to have to play around with in the desert. I haven't decided on anything I have friends that have various ones and each have their own opinions on which is the best etc so I am coming here to do research.