Quantcast

Oil change

I have a Massimo Buck 400. I want to change the engine oil.

I know this is a "duh" question, but to do that I need to take the heavy plastic cover off that is mounted under the frame. Then find the drain plug which I assume is in the front of the vehicle. Did I get this right or can you guide me further?? 🤠

Many thanks.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

Mine looks nothing like the illustration you sent.  Mine is a 391cc engine in a Massimo  Buck 400.

So  I believe the dip stick to check engine oil is the yellow one. Below it maybe 5 inches is a small plastic dip stick.  It comes out and is maybe 3 to 3.5 inches long. If the engine oil is shared by the transmission? Maybe this is where to fill the oil. It seems to be to low for the engine oil?

I have attached a photo  I took today.

Thanks for your help.

OilDipStick.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, MassBuck400 said:

OK I called Massimo Tech service.  It is as I thought but I don't like it.  There is a hex nut at the bottom of the dipstick. You have to remove the entire dipstick to fill wit oil.

Not a smart setup. It takes about 1.4 QT. of 10W30.

The "hex nut" is just an adapter for the "push-pull" dipstick--many motocycles, etc. have a screw-in dipstick as shown in the illustration Travis provided, Removing what you have is no big deal--however 'twas me, I'd get rid of it and get a screw-in dipstick that can be removed without tools--just  for convenience' sake.

My Coleman (Hisun) Outfitter 400 has the more typical screw-in dipstick. I made an extended  screw-in adapter (3D printed)--it's just a 3/4-10 thread:

OilFiller-00.thumb.jpg.055f841957a10469ce877db57552c699.jpg

To which I can connect a 1/2" ID hose and funnel when refilling the engine oil:

OilFiller-01.thumb.jpg.b86223f61c716143baae8c21bc7d0c18.jpg

9 hours ago, KentC said:

Sounds like you could have a small EBay business selling the new dipstick. 

I'm printing a half-dozen of them now (takes 7-1/2 hours) the resin costs  about $1 each, nothing else but wait, cleaning and final curing time; a 2¢ O-ring, and a tiny bit of electricity--if anyone is interested in one give me a yell--we'll work something out (an SASE or whatever)...

• Like 1

Here they are at the end of the print cycle (the SLA resin printer "prints" things upside down, the supports [hangers] are needed for dimensional stability:
OilFiller-10.thumb.jpg.495e577cbbe01e9fc9d705376295bb5b.jpg

Ready to be popped off the build plate:
OilFiller-11.thumb.jpg.e7a9780c4d689ad60831ac56f6f84602.jpg

In the "oven" for the final curing:
OilFiller-12.thumb.jpg.59cc0b5673f5c1f122b255910b544abe.jpg

The "oven is a gutted 0.7 ft³ microwave oven, with nothing left but the turntable and timer. The Magnetron was replaced with a 30 W 405 nm UV LED array. 45 minutes of that fully cures the resin...

The postal service will not let them be shipped in a plain ol' evelope (too thick)--I'll figure out the most economical shipping method and  post a message in the Classified section....

Spent some time this am looking at shipping options--and find none that make any sense. USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box is $8.00--Parcel Post is $3.30-$4.00 (and I have to  provide packaging). This makes it senseless for me to try to sell them.

So, if anyone finds themselves in the Saint Augustine area give me a yell and I'll give you one...

On 1/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, MassBuck400 said:

OK I called Massimo Tech service.  It is as I thought but I don't like it.  There is a hex nut at the bottom of the dipstick. You have to remove the entire dipstick to fill wit oil.

Not a smart setup. It takes about 1.4 QT. of 10W30.

This is what you have. To do an oil change without trying to pull the drain plug and it's attached oil screen,   pull the dipstick and use a short handle 7/8" open end wrench to unscrew the dipstick bushing from the aluminum engine sump casting, yes the shifting cable is in the way, be careful not to break the shifting cable housing.  I used an oil change suction pump (12 volt) to suck out the used oil, added a half Qt of new oil to mix with the residual old oil in the sump and then use the suction pump to suck out the half Qt of new oil and the residual old oi,.  Since you will only need a Quart and half to fill the sump. You will need the remaining qt. and 1/2 of oil.

I used an old automatic transmission oil funnel to fill the sump with new oil. Screw the dipstick bushing back in the engine and check the oil level with the dipstick back and be ready to go.

I have a Liqui-Vac  "suck-o-matic"¹  2000 2 gallon hand pump vacuum unit I use on our small engines when I get lazy:

LiquiVac2000.jpg.9ef8388383df67a4f08523d2dbe2c565.jpg

I used it on my Outfitter 400 at the first change and got out a tiny bit more than 2 qts.; per factory specs the 400 holds 2.2 with the filter so I got most of it from it from the crankcase and did not have to crawl under it.

Though it goes against my basic nature I may use it again at the next change. If I get 2 qts. again I'll b e a happy camper...

--------------------------------------------------------

¹ - I really shouldn't call it that as it works quite well--I've had it for well over 10 years. It's like a vacuum cleaner--they more they suck the better they are.

7 hours ago, cliffyk said:

I have a Liqui-Vac  "suck-o-matic"¹  2000 2 gallon hand pump vacuum unit I use on our small engines when I get lazy:

LiquiVac2000.jpg.9ef8388383df67a4f08523d2dbe2c565.jpg

I used it on my Outfitter 400 at the first change and got out a tiny bit more than 2 qts.; per factory specs the 400 holds 2.2 with the filter so I got most of it from it from the crankcase and did not have to crawl under it.

Though it goes against my basic nature I may use it again at the next change. If I get 2 qts. again I'll b e a happy camper...

--------------------------------------------------------

¹ - I really shouldn't call it that as it works quite well--I've had it for well over 10 years. It's like a vacuum cleaner--they more they suck the better they are.

My Buck 400  holds 1.4 Qts.  and I figure it was prudent to use the other half Qt to mix with the small residual anount the vacuum would not pick up. since I buy 2 Qts for an oil change, I didn't want to contaminate the sump  with other oil than what should be put into the engine, , I figure on the third oil change I wil go under and pull the drain plug and clean the screen.