Quantcast

GREAT to have the forum back!

You never know how much you'll miss something 'til it's gone...

Advise your hosting service to install a dry (argon/halon) fire suppression system. 99.44% of the time with wet systems the water does more damage than the fire--this is true in almost every industry, but more so in server rooms.

-cliff-

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cliffyk said:

On Sunday the 4th @ 3:00 pm or so their hosting service lost power and a generator caught fire triggering sprinklers.  (Read more here...)

Poor design, "sprinklers" and "data center" do not belong in the same sentence. They did get it back up in pretty good time all things considered...

Yep, took down a lot of sites.  We had a backup but needed to provision a new server and reinstall, which is not the most fun. Plus, we have been with them for 6 + years with no major issues and were hoping to be down for only a day through Monday. Happened around 6pm EST Sunday. They really couldn't definitively tell clients exactly who was most affected until Wednesday (we were).  It might be weeks still, so we got a new server yesterday with a different company to get back online asap.  We are still waiting to see what they say about our old sever or rebuild.  Overall they provided good service and affordability. You really need a good server and not just shared hosting to operate a forum and not have it lag too much. Our old server is still not up and sounds like its swimming with the fish...

I had posted some updates on facebook and twitter as I really couldn't email anyone with the server being offline.  I'm happy you guys missed it (as crazy as that sounds), makes it more worthwhile !

I have been using DirectNIC hosting  for my site (www.paladinmicro.com) for over 20 years without a hitch. They were in New Orleans during Katrina and were humping 55 gallon druns of diesel up 9 flights of stairs to keep their generators running--not down for even a millisecond--good guys. I haven't done much with my site since I retried in late 2015 but I get my email service from them and use it for file hoisting.

3 minutes ago, cliffyk said:

I have been using DirectNIC hosting  for my site (www.paladinmicro.com) for over 20 years without a hitch. They were in New Orleans during Katrina and were humping 55 gallon druns of diesel up 9 flights of stairs to keep their generators running--not down for even a millisecond--good guys. I haven't done much with my site since I retried in late 2015 but I get my email service from them and use it for file hoisting.

Nice! They've been around for a while, but I think its only shared hosting, no dedicate servers. We have  a dedicated self managed server so typically we are renting directly from a company that has its own data center or metal boxes. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Nice! They've been around for a while, but I think its only shared hosting, no dedicate servers. We have  a dedicated self managed server so typically we are renting directly from a company that has its own data center or metal boxes. 

That is correct--it's nice to be in direct control...

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 2:26 PM, Alex said:

Yep, took down a lot of sites.  We had a backup but needed to provision a new server and reinstall, which is not the most fun. Plus, we have been with them for 6 + years with no major issues and were hoping to be down for only a day through Monday. Happened around 6pm EST Sunday. They really couldn't definitively tell clients exactly who was most affected until Wednesday (we were).  It might be weeks still, so we got a new server yesterday with a different company to get back online asap.  We are still waiting to see what they say about our old sever or rebuild.  Overall they provided good service and affordability. You really need a good server and not just shared hosting to operate a forum and not have it lag too much. Our old server is still not up and sounds like its swimming with the fish...

I had posted some updates on facebook and twitter as I really couldn't email anyone with the server being offline.  I'm happy you guys missed it (as crazy as that sounds), makes it more worthwhile !

next time theres a fire, get 6 guys and a case of beer... problem solved 

well, he is qualified for so many positions... like Secretary of Parks, Mines and Playgrounds ...or maybe he could be head of committe to observe the rate which grass grows ...ot study the effects of sunlight on nocturnal creatures or any of those globally important things ..After all,  He was on the board of a huge Natural gas Company when the only gas he knew anything about was his own farts ..