Quantcast

stock air filter

ERV JR

what is the problem with the stock filter ? People are saying that it lets dirt past but its also said that the filter is dry and needs to be oiled. Is there a problem with the stock filter id its oiled ? How about with a K&N Foam pre filter

If it's dry, it WILL let a fine powder through. Haven't tried it oiled. I replaced mine with a K&N knock off from Auto Zone and I also use a foam prefilter. I bought a gallon of K&N filter oil ( a lot cheaper way to go ) and poured it into a urethane container deep enough to dip the entire filter into. I then let it drain and then do the same with the prefilter. I added just a little bit of gas to the oil to allow it to drain a little better. Cap off the container when I'm done. Makes the job real quick and easy along with doing a thorough job. Nothing is getting through anymore. Don't wait and take a chance, Just replace it and feel confident.

Lenny

I still have the stock one, and like hammerdn, I oil it, but I mix some sticky type filter oil with gas, dip the filter in and let it dry, AFTER, I clean it by dipping/rolling it in gas to cut the oil and then washing it with lots of very soapy water and a good rinse and dry.

I will admit that I want to change to K&N when I can afford it. Shocks came first, so I'm down on funds, and Linda says I can't spend any more on this thing that seems to break every time out, but the last was my fault, not the machines.

Kinarfi

what is the problem with the stock filter ? People are saying that it lets dirt past but its also said that the filter is dry and needs to be oiled. Is there a problem with the stock filter id its oiled ? How about with a K&N Foam pre filter

Silverbullet.

The stock air filter Is NO GOOD!The air filter we use is a K&N filter with filter charger.This is the best for all most any trail rides on dirt.If you due a lot of sand then we would go to a uni filter w/cover.And thear oil .But they take more work to clean.The best all around filter is K&N RU3560=charger.

i still have the stock filter and have been oiling it. I would like to repalce it but since losing my job i would ddo other stuff with the $50 tahn buy a filter. I just wanted to know what people meant when they said they were no good

Silverbullet.

The stock filter & charger are of a cheep fiber the sock that is covering the filter is not tight enought.Just take a ride in the sand and take it off and

you will see sand in the throttle body.The weave is not tight enought.To keep the small stuf out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had oiled my stock filter but it still broke through. I didn't have the prefilter on because it blew away while trailering it. Looks like the base was siliconed together but it spins and is not sealed. Motor is burning a little oil now so K&N filter would have been real cheap in comparision. Still waiting for time to tear into it to see how bad it is and if I have lost compression. At the very least get the filter up out of the dirt. Ace hardware should have everything you need for under $20.

I mentioned earlier that I had changed to a K&N 4160 and used the stock Joyner Prefilter. It's been said that it is silicone coated. When I washed the prefilter, it accepted water with no problem, so I doubt it has any silicone left on it, if it did have any on it. I wonder if spraying it with something like "Camp Dry" silicone would be helpful?

I mentioned earlier that I had changed to a K&N 4160 and used the stock Joyner Prefilter. It's been said that it is silicone coated. When I washed the prefilter, it accepted water with no problem, so I doubt it has any silicone left on it, if it did have any on it. I wonder if spraying it with something like "Camp Dry" silicone would be helpful?

Silverbullet.

The Joyner pre filter is n/g.You need K&N Precharger the precharge is Silicone coated.And it has to fit real tight.

Are all K&N pre filters impregnated with silicone? I was under the impression only the ones for personal water craft were.

Silverbullet.

4x4x454 I just tried a precharge under the sink and some water went thru it.But the water that went thru it just stayed inside like

a fishbole so it has a coating.So it has a coating .