Quantcast

power steering

jamesrulz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone has made any power steering setup's that have worked good. I have looked at the electric power steering on the silver bullet web page but am not sure if it will last on my trooper with all the water i drive in and 30 inch mud lights. Any suggestions?

Silverbullt.

The uni-steer is sealed.But is not a fish.It should be ok.It will take the 30 inch tires ok.All the race sidexside are starting to use it.Because it holds up.

A joyner trooper but the one you show on your web site the bracket is the same as a ranger an I can get one for 900.00 from another dealer (that why I ask if you price match other dealers price) but he don't know if it fits joyner but it has the same bracket that you show on your web site

Silverbullet.

No we make our own bracket,s.Thats why we charge more.

electric sounds good but has any one done anything to the stock rack? my rack is getting pretty loose and seems pretty poor quality also the steering radius isnt that great. It would be nice to correct all the steering issues all at one time. Any suggestions?

http://www.utvboard.com/index.php?s=&s...post&p=2558

I don't know if you've read this thread, but it's kind of a story about a power steering assist that Lenny and I have been working on. I made one out of a power-wheels toy motor and liked it so well that Lenny and I have been working on a design for about 6 months and it's getting real close to a marketable device. So far, it's looks like it will just a bolt on and maybe, maybe not a cut in the steering shaft. We haven't got a price yet, but I've got the electronics pretty much finalized and in use on my Trooper. Real nice, some of the features are that it resists bump steering really well, you can even let go of the steering on a rough road and it still goes straight or continues to turn if you were turning. I've enjoyed mine immensely, especially since I've been handicapped by a crash in late 2006, http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567620435zRLHus. Don't know how big of a hurry you're in, but I think ours will be worth the wait.

Kinarfi

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.utvboard.com/index.php?s=&s...post&p=2558

I don't know if you've read this thread, but it's kind of a story about a power steering assist that Lenny and I have been working on. I made one out of a power-wheels toy motor and liked it so well that Lenny and I have been working on a design for about 6 months and it's getting real close to a marketable device. So far, it's looks like it will just a bolt on and maybe, maybe not a cut in the steering shaft. We haven't got a price yet, but I've got the electronics pretty much finalized and in use on my Trooper. Real nice, some of the features are that it resists bump steering really well, you can even let go of the steering on a rough road and it still goes straight or continues to turn if you were turning. I've enjoyed mine immensely, especially since I've been handicapped by a crash in late 2006, http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567620435zRLHus. Don't know how big of a hurry you're in, but I think ours will be worth the wait.

Kinarfi

This power steering is very well built and it looks like it will be fully waterproof. Kinarfi will have the final version on his TRooper shortly. Total bolt on and no cutting of anything. This is one nice unit and it will be priced considerably lower then the others on the market, probably around $750.00, give or take. This electric steering has been designed specifically for the Trooper and is fully engineered from the ground up. All precision industrial robotic componets made to run in industry 24-7. The steering stabilizing feature is great. When you go through a rocky section, the steering wheel doesn't kick back and forth. Should have pics shortly. Now 4x4 lockout will be easy to manage.

Lenny

Lenny

What is response like at speed, like 60 mph? The complaint about the Joyner system is that it is too touchy at speed and becomes difficult to control. Do you still use the old steering box? Also will this fit in the earlier Troopers that have the fuel tank in the front?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

What is response like at speed, like 60 mph? The complaint about the Joyner system is that it is too touchy at speed and becomes difficult to control. Do you still use the old steering box? Also will this fit in the earlier Troopers that have the fuel tank in the front?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It isn't touchy at all at any speed. We are still using the original steering box. The power steering is mounted to the rack and pinion so it won't be in the way of your gas tank. I'll send you some pictures in a week or two.

Lenny

It isn't touchy at all at any speed. We are still using the original steering box. The power steering is mounted to the rack and pinion so it won't be in the way of your gas tank. I'll send you some pictures in a week or two.

Lenny

silverbullet.

no its not touchy at speed it is power steering it will feel light.On pavement it is light but not touchy.A new steering rack would be good but the old one will be ok.

Rick

Silverbullet/Rick,

Unless Joyner has made some changes to their system the guy I met at the UTVRally in Moab couldn't keep his Trooper on the highway at speed because of the system over correcting. Has Joyner changed something?

And how about my Diff question, Can I drop my Diffs off for the warranty work in a week?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Lenny since I know you are as difficult to please as I am, If you say it drives well it must be true. BUT I would like to drive one of yours at Farmington. Next upgrade is the shocks, then the steering. In there some where is frame/tubing work. Back rack isn't going back on permanently.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Haven't done 60 mph yet, don't know if I ever will on purpose, The way this Power Steering Unit work is it has a Dead Band where the system works to prevent bump steering and hold the steering stable in it's current position, I have let go of the wheel on multiple occasions with no ill effects. As you turn the wheel, relative to the wheel position, it comes out of the dead band, but adds no assistance, as you apply more torque the assistance goes from 0% to 100%, proportional to input torque on the steering wheel and as you apply torque to the steering wheel, the power assist is trying to catch up to the steering wheel, If you reach the end of the travel and continue to apply torque, the unit senses this and shuts down the motor until the wheel is relaxed.

I've enjoyed it on my rig immensely, especially with my injuries.

Kinarfi

Lenny since I know you are as difficult to please as I am, If you say it drives well it must be true. BUT I would like to drive one of yours at Farmington. Next upgrade is the shocks, then the steering. In there some where is frame/tubing work. Back rack isn't going back on permanently.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Rocmoc, I think we can get Kinarfi to go to Farmington and he will have the first production unit on his Trooper. Yes, I'm am hard to please and I'll take that as a compliment so thanks.

Lenny

silverbullet.

no its not touchy at speed it is power steering it will feel light.On pavement it is light but not touchy.A new steering rack would be good but the old one will be ok.

Rick

I have the latest joyner kit and it is not as touchy as the first but it does rob HP being that it is hydraulic. The reason I chose this kit is because I run tracks in the winter and I was afraid that the electric would not be powerful enough. I have seen atvs with electric steer and tracks not be able to over come heavy snow. If your system would work with tracks I would be very interested then I wouldn't loose HP.

Thanks ED

I have the latest joyner kit and it is not as touchy as the first but it does rob HP being that it is hydraulic. The reason I chose this kit is because I run tracks in the winter and I was afraid that the electric would not be powerful enough. I have seen atvs with electric steer and tracks not be able to over come heavy snow. If your system would work with tracks I would be very interested then I wouldn't loose HP.

Thanks ED

Silverbullet.

I dont know .Tracks maybe to much all I know is they use this in the Baja 500 & 1000 an had no problem.

electric sounds good but has any one done anything to the stock rack? my rack is getting pretty loose and seems pretty poor quality also the steering radius isnt that great. It would be nice to correct all the steering issues all at one time. Any suggestions?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It appears that our power steering kit will also fit the early Troopers with the front gas tank, Lenny & I have decided to include a Joyner-Trooper-T2-Steering-Looseness-Fix-KIT, mentioned earlier, to make this a better steering correction and upgrade kit. jamesrulz, unfortunately, the turn radius is limited by the outer CVs in the front, this issue was explored by myself and Lenny in the past. At this time, we have a tentative price of around $800.00. Photos will be added as soon as possible, about a week or so.

Kinarfi

Silverbullet.

Replace it with a quality rack cost 150.00 to 200.00

Sivlerbullet the piture you show on the uni-steer on your web site is that the one you would get with that bracket that bracket is also used for the polaris ranger. Do you match other dealer price

I have T2 hear one of the first ones.I have never made one because they are so few around.If you want I will make up a new bracket and kit to fit the early trooper.Let me know.

Thanks Rick

The stock rack and pinion works fine with the upgrade. All the loosness is gone when the gear rack is held in properly. Take a look at the upgade we will be supplying with our electric power steering.

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI...TRK%3AMEUS%3AIT

This makes the steering feel much better and more solid along with giving better response. You will also get rid of that front clunking noise. I have an electric power steering unit very much simular to what Silverbullet is offering and it works good but no better then Kinarfi's electric power steering which uses the stock rack and pinion with the upgrade and our new electric steering atachment. Had we had the power steering we are going to offer when I changed my Trooper over, I wouldn't have put what I did in. It required too much changing for me to consider going back but I would if I could.

Lenny

Thanks ED

It may be possible for us to increase the power by adding another stage of gear reduction. That is quite easy o do and it would not add much cost. It would turn things a little slower but I assume that with tracks you are not wipping the wheel from side to side like you would when going through a bunch of tight s-curves at speed.

Lenny

I would be all over a kit like this if it will last with what i am going to throw at it wich will be just about every thing you can think of. How much hp do you think it will robb by pulling off the electrical system or will it be very mimimal?

You won't notice the electrical draw in HP at all. I have no problem with it lasting. My concern is just how much power you need. Can you give me a torque requirement, in other words how many pounds are you having to pull on the steering wheel at its rim. Think about it as pushing up with one hand on the steering wheel say 40 pounds and pulling down with the other 40 pounds. That would be a lot of pull but we can already do that and more. You will have to determine this without any power assist and if you can't, you'll have to make an educated approximation. If you can give me those values, I can go from there and give you specific on what we can do. It all starts with the engineering.

Lenny