Quantcast

2scoops

Newbie T2 owner

Hello,

I have been reading many of your guys' posts and finally got around to becoming a member. I spent a lot of time analyzing which forums were the best for a Joyner owner and this seems to be it. I am excited to start sharing info with you guys, especially since I have already pilfered so much from your posts.

After looking for quite some time at UTV I ended up trying to decide between the T2 or a RZR S...then Joyner went out of business. So, my focus was soley on a RZR S until someone posted a camo (the exact color I wanted) T2 for $5500 in my area. I ended up getting it for $5k even. Although I knew parts availabilty was scarce, the tube chassis and endless modifyability (is that a word) made the trooper an easy sell @ 5k. Both my other friends have RZR's. One with a RZR S & the other with a RZR 4. They both do better in the tight spots than my T2, but they CANNOT keep up with me in the wide open. My friend in the RZR S blew a tire and almost rolled trying to keep pace. I left him far behind (this was also my first time behing the T2's wheel). In a drag race, my friend in the RZR4 got a 2 car head start, he tried to cheat by acting like he didn't want to race then he hit the gas, and I raced past him like he was standing still. However, because of the RZR's light weight and automatic, I will give them the nod when you are on small/tight/rocky trails--something I would rather be on a 4wheeler for anyway. Also, the T2 suits my long legs far better, and I can fit my family of 5 thanks to a 3 place seat & cage in the back--something you can't do to a RZR. Everytime I drive it I want to call and thank the guy who sold it to me. I just hope Joyner gets back in business.

My current Mods:

Rear 42" 3 place seat with cage that tilts back completely exposing the motor (it weighs almost the exact same weight as the stock trooper cage)

30" Dominator 540 tires from SuperATV with blacked out wheels

Front dual piston Brembo brakes from a Ducati (I haven't yet had a chance to really use these yet as it is winter here in Utah)

Steering box tightening kit (Ebay)

K & N filter

Relocated lights

Future Mods:

8.5" Fox piggyback shocks (I already have these)

Further brake modification (better master cylinders perhaps?)

Powersteering

Hingeable hood

Trim some weight

Turbo (if I can find a way to keep the motor cool enough)

Manual 4X4

Hello,

I have been reading many of your guys' posts and finally got around to becoming a member. I spent a lot of time analyzing which forums were the best for a Joyner owner and this seems to be it. I am excited to start sharing info with you guys, especially since I have already pilfered so much from your posts.

After looking for quite some time at UTV I ended up trying to decide between the T2 or a RZR S...then Joyner went out of business. So, my focus was soley on a RZR S until someone posted a camo (the exact color I wanted) T2 for $5500 in my area. I ended up getting it for $5k even. Although I knew parts availabilty was scarce, the tube chassis and endless modifyability (is that a word) made the trooper an easy sell @ 5k. Both my other friends have RZR's. One with a RZR S & the other with a RZR 4. They both do better in the tight spots than my T2, but they CANNOT keep up with me in the wide open. My friend in the RZR S blew a tire and almost rolled trying to keep pace. I left him far behind (this was also my first time behing the T2's wheel). In a drag race, my friend in the RZR4 got a 2 car head start, he tried to cheat by acting like he didn't want to race then he hit the gas, and I raced past him like he was standing still. However, because of the RZR's light weight and automatic, I will give them the nod when you are on small/tight/rocky trails--something I would rather be on a 4wheeler for anyway. Also, the T2 suits my long legs far better, and I can fit my family of 5 thanks to a 3 place seat & cage in the back--something you can't do to a RZR. Everytime I drive it I want to call and thank the guy who sold it to me. I just hope Joyner gets back in business.

My current Mods:

Rear 42" 3 place seat with cage that tilts back completely exposing the motor (it weighs almost the exact same weight as the stock trooper cage)

Front dual piston Brembo brakes from a Ducati (I haven't yet had a chance to really use these yet as it is winter here in Utah)

K & N filter

Relocated lights

Future Mods:

Powersteering

Hingeable hood

Trim some weight

Manual 4X4

2scoops,

Welcome to the forum.Yes this is by far the best place for any joyner info.Glad to hear you enjoy your trooper.Where do you ride? You mentioned the added bench seat,I saw a trooper on craigslist in Arizona about 6 or 7 months ago that had one with the custom cage on it.From the pictures I saw of it the bench seat was mounted way back behind the rear axles and it looked like there may be a problem with the weight being so far back once you have someone sitting there.Have you had any problems or handling issues? If you can post some photos.

Yes; post some photo's! Welcome to the Forum. I don't think I've seen a rear seat conversion before on a Trooper. And the Brembo brakes sound really interesting. 5K is a GREAT deal. I was trying to sell mine a couple of months ago for 6K and felt like I was giving it away. Anyway; in the long run; I'm glad it didn't sell. I have big plans for it now

Hello,

My current Mods:

K & N filter

Relocated lights

Future Mods:

Powersteering

Hingeable hood

Trim some weight

Manual 4X4

Here is what i saw on craigslist.

http://hs-thumb16.photoworks.com/render/?src=http%3A//wsimage.webshots.com/120388/%7B7ecc5e98-d263-42fb-a569-615c11b62808%7D.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

Welcome! Are you coming to the Joyner adventure in Southern Utah this June? Would love to see some pics of the brake mods, LOTS of PICS!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Welcome! Are you coming to the Joyner adventure in Southern Utah this June? Would love to see some pics of the brake mods, LOTS of PICS!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I will post some pics soon. Right now the only pics I have are on my phone. I will give everyone details on the brakes once I determine if it was a viable mod. Let me know the details on the Joyner adventure. It sounds fun.

I will post some pics soon. Right now the only pics I have are on my phone. I will give everyone details on the brakes once I determine if it was a viable mod. Let me know the details on the Joyner adventure. It sounds fun.

Link to the discussion of this summer's Jamboree, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1687-the-next-jamboree-get-together/

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Yeah, not my ride. I have a custom built cage from Sandworks and a twisted stitch seat--not cheezy stuff. I only carry 150lbs worth of kids in it so top heavy isn't an issue. It was never intended for adults, but I have cruized around with adults in the back & it was just fine. If I am hitting it hard the kids aren't with me. If I am going out with the boys I just remove the whole thing.

Another interesting point my buddy brought up who has the RZR S is when the kids are in the "crowsnest" they can see where & what we are driving over. It keeps them more engaged & safer during the ride. He brought this up when we were discussing the pros & cons of the RZR S vs the RZR 4. I think he has a valid point & it proved true on our Moab trip. The kids enjoyed seeing where we were going vs seeing the back of a seat. If I had teenagers I would consider the RZR 4.

Yes; post some photo's! Welcome to the Forum. I don't think I've seen a rear seat conversion before on a Trooper. And the Brembo brakes sound really interesting. 5K is a GREAT deal. I was trying to sell mine a couple of months ago for 6K and felt like I was giving it away. Anyway; in the long run; I'm glad it didn't sell. I have big plans for it now

As requested I posted some pics in the gallery. In the members gallery I posted some pics of the overall buggy with the rear seat. In the Mods gallery I posted some pictures of the brakes.

As requested I posted some pics in the gallery. In the members gallery I posted some pics of the overall buggy with the rear seat. In the Mods gallery I posted some pictures of the brakes.

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

2scoops, We really need to find out what the part # is on the caliper and pads of your brake setup. Any chance boxes or numbers came with the purchase or maybe a call to the previous owner? Best brake setup thus far.

Thanks for sharing,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

That looks easy enough to do. Makes me look at all those 4 and 6 piston calipers Off the harleys we convert into trikes in a whole new light

2scoops, We really need to find out what the part # is on the caliper and pads of your brake setup. Any chance boxes or numbers came with the purchase or maybe a call to the previous owner? Best brake setup thus far.

Thanks for sharing,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I will have to get into my Ebay account and see if I still have the history of my purchase of the brakes. This will have to wait until I get home from work. They are pretty common rear brake set up on many motorcycles (Suzuki & Ducati are few). They sell a similar upgrade for the RZR for $900. This is where I first stole the idea. I did mine for $170. I had some extra caliper brackets laying around for a T2 & just fabbed them to bolt up to the Brembo calipers & used a couple of washers for spacers. It is an extremely tight fit with the 17" stock wheels. I had to shave the banjo bolt way down & clearance between the outside rotor & caliper is at a premium. It was a improvement right off the bat, but how much of a difference I have yet to decide. It's hard to measure the braking difference of the 27" 25lb tires to the 30" 35lb tires. Also, they still need futher bleeding. I would say in its current state it does stop better than before (with the 30" tires). One issue I am having is I am getting some intermittent brake squeal. I hope this will go away after a breaking in period (I have only driven up & down the street). It reminds me of the squeal that comes from my mountain bike with disc brakes--like it is resonating.

Where is futher improvement to be gained?

I think the master cylinder on the Troopers are actually quite excessive. The bore on the master cylinders is like & inch. That is what 4000lb cars use in just one master cylinder. I think braking would actually be improved by using just one of the two master cylinders, or getting two master cylinders with much smaller bores. I do like the safety aspect of having two. So, I will wait for futher testing of the current set up before looking at master cylinder options. The RZR (I know I keep using that curse word and I appologize) uses just one tiny master cylinder, and I wish the Troopers function as well. However the RZR has two brake line outputs (like a car), so even though it is just a single master cylinder, it functions as two.

I will have to get into my Ebay account and see if I still have the history of my purchase of the brakes. This will have to wait until I get home from work. They are pretty common rear brake set up on many motorcycles (Suzuki & Ducati are few). They sell a similar upgrade for the RZR for $900. This is where I first stole the idea. I did mine for $170. I had some extra caliper brackets laying around for a T2 & just fabbed them to bolt up to the Brembo calipers & used a couple of washers for spacers. It is an extremely tight fit with the 17" stock wheels. I had to shave the banjo bolt way down & clearance between the outside rotor & caliper is at a premium. It was a improvement right off the bat, but how much of a difference I have yet to decide. It's hard to measure the braking difference of the 27" 25lb tires to the 30" 35lb tires. Also, they still need futher bleeding. I would say in its current state it does stop better than before (with the 30" tires). One issue I am having is I am getting some intermittent brake squeal. I hope this will go away after a breaking in period (I have only driven up & down the street). It reminds me of the squeal that comes from my mountain bike with disc brakes--like it is resonating.

Where is futher improvement to be gained?

I think the master cylinder on the Troopers are actually quite excessive. The bore on the master cylinders is like & inch. That is what 4000lb cars use in just one master cylinder. I think braking would actually be improved by using just one of the two master cylinders, or getting two master cylinders with much smaller bores. I do like the safety aspect of having two. So, I will wait for futher testing of the current set up before looking at master cylinder options. The RZR (I know I keep using that curse word and I appologize) uses just one tiny master cylinder, and I wish the Troopers function as well. However the RZR has two brake line outputs (like a car), so even though it is just a single master cylinder, it functions as two.

I'm using dual stock calipers at each wheel with the stock master and they work great. Before when I had to get into the brakes, I always had the feeling that they weak on stopping power. It was always in the back of my mine and surfaced each time I needed to get on them hard. With the duel calipers, I have forgotten about brake issues, it just stops. The stopping power of brakes are a function of 3 things, The coefficient of friction of the brake pad material, the per square inch pressure pushing the material against the rotor and the surface area of the material touching the rotor. 2scoops is right, going to a smaller pistoned master (or going to larger pistons in the calipers for that mater) will add power as will eliminating one master and hooking the other to all four wheels. In my case I added surface area and doubled up on my caliper pistons to acheive the same type result. Either way the stock brakes need help, IMHO.

Lenny

Lenny

Hey guys!

New to this forum.Have to thank Rocmoc for info in the past and for turning me on to

this site!Got some bad news for me,but maybe good for you or someone you know. I

ended up buying a gorgeous Trooper T2 back a couple years ago.(camo green color)

It is a 2008 that got all the upgrades before Joyner went down the 1st time.Mine still

only has 200 miles on it. I have been diagnosed with a debilitating disease and just don't

get to use it, although I love it! I'm at the point of having to sell it along with all the stuff

I bought for it when I thought Joyner wasn't coming back.If anyone out there wants a

heck of a deal on a barely used, perfect running machine let me know! I live in West Palm

Florida. I don't know if it is proper to give my info over this forum, but I'll check back to see

if anyone wants it. Thanks for listening and ride hard for me!Once again thanks ROC!

• Like 1

all kinds of stuff,but I need to use them to sweeten the deal to a buyer,or use as neg.

Know what I mean?If by chance I sell and parts aren't included,I'll offer em up to you guys here first.

Hey guys!

New to this forum.Have to thank Rocmoc for info in the past and for turning me on to

this site!Got some bad news for me,but maybe good for you or someone you know. I

ended up buying a gorgeous Trooper T2 back a couple years ago.(camo green color)

It is a 2008 that got all the upgrades before Joyner went down the 1st time.Mine still

only has 200 miles on it. I have been diagnosed with a debilitating disease and just don't

get to use it, although I love it! I'm at the point of having to sell it along with all the stuff

I bought for it when I thought Joyner wasn't coming back.If anyone out there wants a

heck of a deal on a barely used, perfect running machine let me know! I live in West Palm

Florida. I don't know if it is proper to give my info over this forum, but I'll check back to see

if anyone wants it. Thanks for listening and ride hard for me!Once again thanks ROC!

Really sorry to hear the bad news.Let us know what you want for it,that way it may be a way for a quicker sale knowing how good of a deal it is.Best of luck to you.