Quantcast

oil in throttle body

ricksrb

Guest Lenny

pulled throttle body just to check to see if it was getting dirt and dust in there and found oil lying in the bottom.Also in the intake manifold.found little to no dust or dirt.Engine has not been smoking.Any ideas? got me worried.

I think you have a serious problem ans should unload your T4 to me right know for $500 before I have second thoughts. Actually don't worry. If there is no dirt, your OK. If your using an oil soaked air filter like a K&N type, you casn easily get oil dripping off of it when re-oiling it. I always get it when re-oiling mine, on my truck too. I would rather have a bit too much oil then not enough. I actually completely submerse the filter in the oil then hang it to drain. It can still drain for days after I put it back in. Now that I think about it again, you probably should unload it, TO ME. I'll even through in a slightly used nose splint.

Lenny

I think you have a serious problem ans should unload your T4 to me right know for $500 before I have second thoughts. Actually don't worry. If there is no dirt, your OK. If your using an oil soaked air filter like a K&N type, you casn easily get oil dripping off of it when re-oiling it. I always get it when re-oiling mine, on my truck too. I would rather have a bit too much oil then not enough. I actually completely submerse the filter in the oil then hang it to drain. It can still drain for days after I put it back in. Now that I think about it again, you probably should unload it, TO ME. I'll even through in a slightly used nose splint.

Lenny

I wont take less then 600.I am sure its engine oil.No oil in the tubing from the air cleaner and compared it to my engine oil and its the same.I checked the hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold and doesnt seem to be any oil in it.I had it out two weeks ago and ran fine and just started it up and no smoke.Worried,dont want to go through what kinarfi is going through right now.The nose splint does sound tempting...Something i could use should i decide to wax a trailer(LOL)

I went for ride fri, ran great, new controller, fun time,, loaded on trailer, went to change oil, wouldn't start!!?? Got a hold of mechanic from silverbullet, ckd compression 125 ,100, 45, " 0 " %&*^$#@((!!!! Well, better here than home, no help there for dumb old driver!! Silverbullet shop going to rebuild motor, get me going on rides, before I head home. He has been great so far, so no worries here!!! Have to be fast, not staying much longer... Love riding here, hope I get to some more.....Quig

pulled throttle body just to check to see if it was getting dirt and dust in there and found oil lying in the bottom.Also in the intake manifold.found little to no dust or dirt.Engine has not been smoking.Any ideas? got me worried.

Silverbullet

All you have to do to check motor is pull hose off valve cover when motor is hot.If you see blow by or have smoke coming out you could have problem.It sound like its ok but always keep filter oiled and clean.

I went for ride fri, ran great, new controller, fun time,, loaded on trailer, went to change oil, wouldn't start!!?? Got a hold of mechanic from silverbullet, ckd compression 125 ,100, 45, " 0 " %&*^$#@((!!!! Well, better here than home, no help there for dumb old driver!! Silverbullet shop going to rebuild motor, get me going on rides, before I head home. He has been great so far, so no worries here!!! Have to be fast, not staying much longer... Love riding here, hope I get to some more.....Quig

I would check the head gasket between 45 & 0. You may not need a rebuild, just a simple head gasket.

Sounds scarily familiar, with the engine running, pull the breather filter off the oil air separator and see if you can feel any air blowing out, should actually be a vacuum, if it's blowing air, you may be on your way to my problem and need to re-ring, suggest you check you compression also. Having oil in my intake was part of the reason I flipped my intake manifold, although I do like it a lot better that way, I was afraid that the oil was messing up my MAP sensor and the idle air thingy so I flipped it so the oil would drain into the cylinders and burn. The only disadvantage is that if you get water through your air filter, it also goes into the cylinder instead of pooling in the intake to evaporate over time, I towed my home one day in a storm and didn't run it long enough to get it warm and dry up the water after I got home and left some water in a cylinder. When it comes to compression checks, one thing I the machine shop found on mine was that the carbon had built up on the exhaust valves and that was why I could feel the air blowing out the exhausts, but the exhaust valves were good, but the intakes were worn and needed to be replaced.

Best of luck,

Jeff

I have 855 miles on it.It had 9 miles when i bought it and always carry a spare filter and change after every ride with the clean one.I have two hoses to the valve cover,one small from the intake manifold and a larger one going to the air intake before the throttle body.I disconnected both and have a very little air coming out the larger one but no noticeable smoke.

Sounds scarily familiar, with the engine running, pull the breather filter off the oil air separator and see if you can feel any air blowing out, should actually be a vacuum, if it's blowing air, you may be on your way to my problem and need to re-ring, suggest you check you compression also. Having oil in my intake was part of the reason I flipped my intake manifold, although I do like it a lot better that way, I was afraid that the oil was messing up my MAP sensor and the idle air thingy so I flipped it so the oil would drain into the cylinders and burn. The only disadvantage is that if you get water through your air filter, it also goes into the cylinder instead of pooling in the intake to evaporate over time, I towed my home one day in a storm and didn't run it long enough to get it warm and dry up the water after I got home and left some water in a cylinder. When it comes to compression checks, one thing I the machine shop found on mine was that the carbon had built up on the exhaust valves and that was why I could feel the air blowing out the exhausts, but the exhaust valves were good, but the intakes were worn and needed to be replaced.

Best of luck,

Jeff

2680519580104110397omcpWr_th.jpg 2433032430104110397iuUiCU_th.jpg 2938966850104110397YobisR_th.jpg 2496412120104110397nqFlVU_th.jpg

At one point, I put a small bottle between the intake manifold and the valve cover to collect the oil that was coming through the breather hose, eventually, I vented the air/oil separator via hose to where the hitch receiver is and capped off the line from engine to manifold.

Jeff

2680519580104110397omcpWr_th.jpg 2433032430104110397iuUiCU_th.jpg 2938966850104110397YobisR_th.jpg 2496412120104110397nqFlVU_th.jpg

At one point, I put a small bottle between the intake manifold and the valve cover to collect the oil that was coming through the breather hose, eventually, I vented the air/oil separator via hose to where the hitch receiver is and capped off the line from engine to manifold.

Jeff

They must have changed the design because mine does not have the seperator.

You should check your vent hose to you breather canister to check if the hose is pinched or the canister is pluged. This will curate pressure in the crankcase and push oil in the intake manifold please note and get back to me on what you find.

Thanks,

Kristopher L Abel

Joyner-USA

Tech Support

[email protected]

On mine, my rings were shot and I had tons of blow by, so I'm still in the final stages of putting it back together, see my "HELP, reringing my engine, and finding problems post. And please, get a good selection of shims in for us.

You should check your vent hose to you breather canister to check if the hose is pinched or the canister is pluged. This will curate pressure in the crankcase and push oil in the intake manifold please note and get back to me on what you find.

Thanks,

Kristopher L Abel

Joyner-USA

Tech Support

[email protected]

As mentioned in previous post i have no canister.Mine is an 09 and it did not come with one.See image,only canister is for coolant.Large hose from valve cover goes to fresh air intake and small hose to valve cover goes to intake manifold.

gallery_475_29_81760.jpg

As mentioned in previous post i have no canister.Mine is an 09 and it did not come with one.See image,only canister is for coolant.Large hose from valve cover goes to fresh air intake and small hose to valve cover goes to intake manifold.

gallery_475_29_81760.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of shiny and pretty, oh and clean too. Does the larger tube from the valve cover feed directly into the air tube?

Jeff

Wow, that's a lot of shiny and pretty, oh and clean too. Does the larger tube from the valve cover feed directly into the air tube?

Jeff

yes it does,gotta look close and you can see it.That picture was taken right after i bought the trooper.It only had 9 miles on it and before i took it out for the first time i had removed the air filter box and installed the tube and K&N filter because of all the horror stories i heard about the stock one.

Then I would not worry too much on it. Whenever the engine is running there will always be a fine mist of oil in air. Going into it intake, like most vehicles do the mist will enter, hit the wall of the intake and start to form into bigger drops that could pool in the intake. I don't see as it being a problem, clean it out and run it.

Then I would not worry too much on it. Whenever the engine is running there will always be a fine mist of oil in air. Going into it intake, like most vehicles do the mist will enter, hit the wall of the intake and start to form into bigger drops that could pool in the intake. I don't see as it being a problem, clean it out and run it.

Going to do just that and keep a real close eye on it.My question now is anybody else have one that did not come with the oil canister? just wondering why they had it then did away with it if that was the case.

• 2 months later...

Going to do just that and keep a real close eye on it.My question now is anybody else have one that did not come with the oil canister? just wondering why they had it then did away with it if that was the case.

Hi Rick, How are you doing? Just wanted to let you know mine is also an 09 and mine did not come with a canister either Stevozz How many miles do you have on yours now?

Hi Rick, How are you doing? Just wanted to let you know mine is also an 09 and mine did not come with a canister either Stevozz How many miles do you have on yours now?

Doing good buddy how are you? I only have about 1050 miles on it,yea yea yea I know most you guys have that many just pulling in and out of your garage.(lol)

Doing good buddy how are you? I only have about 1050 miles on it,yea yea yea I know most you guys have that many just pulling in and out of your garage.(lol)

I am doing good too. Hey Rick do you ever get to the flagstaff area to ride, I was never there yet and would like to try it someday. How far are you away from flagstaff? we have to hook up one of these days and do some riding. I would love to meet everyone but to find and to get the time to do it is hard.

Stevozz

I am doing good too. Hey Rick do you ever get to the flagstaff area to ride, I was never there yet and would like to try it someday. How far are you away from flagstaff? we have to hook up one of these days and do some riding. I would love to meet everyone but to find and to get the time to do it is hard.

Stevozz

Been there but not to ride.Beautifull country up there.I live in Southern California and its about 350 miles or so away.We also have a place in Lake Havasu and I think its only 60 or 70 miles from there.I have heard there are some trails up there but never looked into it.It would be great to get together,maybe even during the summer months it might not be too hot up there.Have to checkout the weather info.

Been there but not to ride.Beautifull country up there.I live in Southern California and its about 350 miles or so away.We also have a place in Lake Havasu and I think its only 60 or 70 miles from there.I have heard there are some trails up there but never looked into it.It would be great to get together,maybe even during the summer months it might not be too hot up there.Have to checkout the weather info.

You do live a ways from there. Thought you were closer. Yes we will have to look into it, let me know what you think ok. I have this feeling its going to be a very hot summer so yes its going to be alot better higher up in the mountains. Talk to you soon.

Stevozz

Hi Ricksrb

Wow that is one clean engine! Yes you have the hose going in to the intake that is whear it should be.Just keep your eye on it.If you dont have smoke coming out of breather hose you are good to go.Make sure the oil is not duluded with gas from runing to rich I think the way your intake snorkel is running stright up what little amount of oil it just runs down in to to the throttle body no big deal. Would add and oil canaster so this will not happen again.Thear cheep and are chrome to look good.It is not necessary to have.

Silverbullet

2550748790104282158EFqRcS_th.jpg 2272095060104282158FfIgQh_th.jpg 2165377640104282158OhkkjA_th.jpg

here's what I did to keep the oil out of my throttle body, first picture is of a catch bottle between the valve cover and throttle body, 2nd is my mounted air/oil separator, 3rd is how I built the air oil separator, the breather element was epoxied to the end cap, silicone would probably work also, Plus I turned throttle body upside down so the oil drains out to the cylinders.

Recently learned/heard something about silicone. Oil will eat/degrade some silicones, Napa salesman said to use the "Napa ultra" on my oil pan because it is "oil resistant". Anyone know anything about this?

Kinarfi