Quantcast

Noob welding question

Mopartist

I've welded on my Trooper many times before, but recently I was told I should unplug the circuits in order to keep from damaging the electrical system.

Would this be the place to disconnect on the red switch? :unsure:

I have always disconnected the battery.That way no chance anything may have been hooked up by passing the switch.

Guest Lenny

I've welded on my Trooper many times before, but recently I was told I should unplug the circuits in order to keep from damaging the electrical system.

Would this be the place to disconnect on the red switch? :unsure:

I would not leave the computer plugged in and preferrably remove it from the vehicle. I damaged one when I welded without disconnecting it however I was using Heli-arc in DC which initiates its spark with a high frequency spark to jump the gap. High frenquicy can easily kill a computer. Years ago, I developed some machinery that used a high frequency generator to cure glue in laminates. This machine was computer controlled and we had a fit at first with the high frequency getting into everything and blowing stuff. High frequency current runs on the surface of conductors and can jump around. It gets into everything and shows up as a spike in voltage. We ended up putting probably a hundred or so capacitors in the circuit to catch the spikes which solved the problem. I now remove my computer before welding even with MIG which doesn't have the HF. Fortunately I had extended insurance and they bought me a new computer.

Lenny

I would not leave the computer plugged in and preferrably remove it from the vehicle. I damaged one when I welded without disconnecting it however I was using Heli-arc in DC which initiates its spark with a high frequency spark to jump the gap. High frenquicy can easily kill a computer. Years ago, I developed some machinery that used a high frequency generator to cure glue in laminates. This machine was computer controlled and we had a fit at first with the high frequency getting into everything and blowing stuff. High frequency current runs on the surface of conductors and can jump around. It gets into everything and shows up as a spike in voltage. We ended up putting probably a hundred or so capacitors in the circuit to catch the spikes which solved the problem. I now remove my computer before welding even with MIG which doesn't have the HF. Fortunately I had extended insurance and they bought me a new computer.

Lenny

Ehhhh.......so is the computer visable in the pic I posted? :unsure:

Guest Lenny

Ehhhh.......so is the computer visable in the pic I posted? :unsure:

It's against the firewall behind the drivers seat. In your pic, it's about right behind the 2 white connectors on the lower right side of the pic.

Lenny

Whoops ; I was trying to catch ya before you answered. I found out it was a plastic cover painted to look like the powder coated metal. :)

While you have the computer out, silicon all the way around it to seal out water, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1834-trooper-computer-outputs-we-can-use/page__view__findpost__p__7396 2618386160104282158RlQWGL_th.jpg , the connector is a bit weird, you have to pry the loop to one side which lifts the plug away from the computer.

Kinarfi