Quantcast

Check your gas tank

Guest Lenny

Just found cracking in the weld around the filler tube and a near by seam. These are the factory welds. Suspect that the vibrating of the filler tube is causing fatigue. I sujest that everyone monitor their tank for cracks on a regular basis. Mine showed up when I filled the tank and on up into the filler tube. Couldn't see anything come out as it's all but invisible to see but I did see the dripping under the tank. Use a paper town around the filler spout after filling up into the spout. Mine left about a 14" diameter spot on the floor. Wouldn't be good to flood the under panning with gas followed by a subsequent fire.

Lenny

That's interesting because that is exactely what I plan to do to mine. I now have it out and I'm letting a fan run air through it for a few hours to get rid of any fumes. Should get it welded and back in this afternboon.

Lenny

That's interesting because that is exactely what I plan to do to mine. I now have it out and I'm letting a fan run air through it for a few hours to get rid of any fumes. Should get it welded and back in this afternboon.

Lenny

you can fill it with argon to back prudge it, or hook it to the exhaust of you car for awhile then weld it

Never done it that way but have heard others have. My main concern is to give it time enough to assure that all the gas that that may be hidden in the cracks of the seams has had time to evaporate out. Thanks for the input.

Lenny

Never done it that way but have heard others have. My main concern is to give it time enough to assure that all the gas that that may be hidden in the cracks of the seams has had time to evaporate out. Thanks for the input.

Lenny

thats the point of back purdgeing with argon or running a hose to a tailpipe of a running car

I weld a car tank once after filling with soap & water. After it was full with the water & suds, we place a flame in the opening. Small pop and that was it. Still was scarey!! This was when I was young & s****d, I can't write it. I was yound and a lot of fun. Luckily I still am, LOL!!!!!

rocmoc n AZ

I had my tank out for leak repair and problem was cracks around mounting tabs.

Had them removed, welded new tabs with triangle gussetts (sp?) underneath each tab. Used rubber washers for cushion/vibration isolators under each mount.

Seems to be fine now.

Also moved filler from back of tank to top so I can fill it at gas station instead of using gas can (it wouldn't handle the flow from pump before).

Oh the joys of upgrading Joyner's!

• 3 weeks later...