Quantcast

Let's Talk Turbo

I'm thinking real hard about turbocharging my T2. Let's be honest, at this point it's only a matter of time. Before I do it. So I'm trying to figure out what size turbo to use. I was hoping some of you out there who have already turbo'd yours could give some input.

What is the biggest factor I should be looking at to keep spool time down; AR, Trim, wheel size? Say for example I'm looking at a T25, I've found many different specs on different T25 turbos ranging from .80AR to .50Ar all with different wheels and trim.

This is gonna be an expensive endeavor, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking real hard about turbocharging my T2. Let's be honest, at this point it's only a matter of time. Before I do it. So I'm trying to figure out what size turbo to use. I was hoping some of you out there who have already turbo'd yours could give some input.

What is the biggest factor I should be looking at to keep spool time down; AR, Trim, wheel size? Say for example I'm looking at a T25, I've found many different specs on different T25 turbos ranging from .80AR to .50Ar all with different wheels and trim.

This is gonna be an expensive endeavor, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time!

Agreed also are variable geometry turbo able to be used on the trooper? Those would eliminate most of the turbo lag...

I want to turbo and its only matter of time also. Is there turbo spec'd cams soon? I think ill do maybe t2/t25 or maybe biggest id go is t3 but higher ar mean longer duration and more boost i believe. I'm no turbo guru though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

we have built our own turbo kits and its not as bad as you may think. i used a turbo from a Mitsu 3000GT VR4 twin turbo and on my other one we used a garrett turbo off of a VW Jetta 1.9 TDI and this is a variable vein turbo. we went with these because of the fact of availability and cost (salvage Yard). the variable vein does eleminate most turbo lag but did not produce as much power on the top end as the standard turbo... if you guys have any questions let me know. We are here to help and have so far built 3 of these kits from scratch. we can also point you in the right direction for parts. we will be building these kits for sale but still doing a lot of R&D to find what works best (bang for the buck). we are here if you guys need help

All great info, thanks! Great find on those specs plumber!

Interested in knowing more about what nocturnalsixer commented on, the ar. Does a larger ar mean longer spool time as well as more air?

Goindeep - appreciate you sharing the development info. I guess I really want to help out the weak low end of the power band on this thing. Wouldn't mind getting more power up top as well, but my main target is the anemic low end. Which of the turbos you've tried has been best for this? I keep thinking smaller turbo, shortest spool time, boosting lower in the rpm range. However, I'm afraid I will size it too small and actually end up with no gain up top, or worse yet, hurting the top end. You got an estimation on HP gains for any of your combos?

I'm running about 11:1 with about 11 to 12 pounds of boost and I run premium pump gas. I dyno in at 121 hp and have lots of low end torque. I really don't need any more power as its fast and pulls higher gears well yet I can lug it. I can brake the tires loose at will in 3rd gear on dirt and that is with 31x10.5 tires. If I kick it down in 4th gear on a gravel road in a turn, I'll spin it out. So far my stock engine and drive line has held up well. LOL However its not the boost that is the important thing, its the final compression ratio. I have lowered my engine compression by cutting down the pistons so naturally asperated it would be about 7:1 or a bit more. Before cutting the compression, the engine had a lot of pre-ignition, real bad unless I ran racing fuel. I don't want to run the expensive fuel. I'm looking forward to what Goindeep is doing for heavy hp. Keep in mind to get 200 hp ro so requires stronger postons, rods and crank. We really don't know if the stock stuff would take that kind of power. He'll also be boosting much higher and will need to run racing fuel.

Lenny

I'm running about 11:1 with about 11 to 12 pounds of boost and I run premium pump gas. I dyno in at 121 hp and have lots of low end torque. I really don't need any more power as its fast and pulls higher gears well yet I can lug it. I can brake the tires loose at will in 3rd gear on dirt and that is with 31x10.5 tires. If I kick it down in 4th gear on a gravel road in a turn, I'll spin it out. So far my stock engine and drive line has held up well. LOL However its not the boost that is the important thing, its the final compression ratio. I have lowered my engine compression by cutting down the pistons so naturally asperated it would be about 7:1 or a bit more. Before cutting the compression, the engine had a lot of pre-ignition, real bad unless I ran racing fuel. I don't want to run the expensive fuel. I'm looking forward to what Goindeep is doing for heavy hp. Keep in mind to get 200 hp ro so requires stronger postons, rods and crank. We really don't know if the stock stuff would take that kind of power. He'll also be boosting much higher and will need to run racing fuel.

Lenny

I definitely want to stay on pump gas. I'm thinking of buying a turbo with 8PSI as the target boost and a boost controller so I can go over or under that as needed to max out without getting pre-ignition. Would like to avoid pulling the engine down and shaving pistons, but I love the sound of 121hp with lots of low end!

Merchant,

Are ya going to build your own turbo system or are you planning on buying a kit from somewhere?

I'm in the same boat

I would like to buy a kit, but I think I will be piecing together my own. I just cant afford the kits I have found. At this point figuring out what turbo I want to use is the key factor holding things up.

Ok, latest update on turbo data that I think I've figured out so far. In order to use the performance maps of the various turbos, we need to figure out a few things about our engine, namely the pressure ratio and air volume in lbs/min. I did this using the formulas given on http://www.junkyardturbos.com/index.php. A couple of the variables I plugged in were engine rpm and ambient temperature. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm too far off base with the max rpm number (as I'm deployed and am trying to do this all from memory), but I used 5000 rpm for the top end and 2500 for the mid. Target boost pressure I set at 8psi, ambient temperature i took the average for a year in tucson AZ being 80 deg F. Do these sound about right? If so, these are the following numbers to shoot for on performance maps when selecting a turbo.

Pressure ratio: 1.54

lb/min @max rpm: 11.03

lb/min @mid rpm: 5.54

So far I have found the Garrett GT1548 performance map to be the best fit for these numbers.....problem....the cost. Haven't had a lot of luck finding sellers of this little turbo, and it's smaller than most cars would use. A new GT1548 runs between $600-$700, I need an alternative, any suggestions?

Turbochargers.com call them and ask for ralph or david.. good guys over there and can get almost anything you want... but the one you are looking for is prolly gonna be in the $12-1500 range... i would have to call them and get the info but they found me the perfect turbo and i could get it for around $700... I will actually be calling them tomorrow to get some pricing for a kit i am getting together for nocturnalsixer...

Josh

No Limitz

Turbochargers.com call them and ask for ralph or david.. good guys over there and can get almost anything you want... but the one you are looking for is prolly gonna be in the $12-1500 range... i would have to call them and get the info but they found me the perfect turbo and i could get it for around $700... I will actually be calling them tomorrow to get some pricing for a kit i am getting together for nocturnalsixer...

Josh

No Limitz

goindeep,

i would be interested in pricing on that turbo kit as well if it was a bolt on unit that came with exhaust and intake manifolds. im not that good at welding pipe so its tough for me to build my own setup and make it work properly.

i am going to try to put together a price tomorrow, and yes it will be complete with my intake and completely bolt on.

please keep in mind my kits are far from cheaply built. i use a good new (not rebuilt) turbo, all mandrel bent carbon steel polished piping, billet blow off valve, aluminum intercooler, and full exhaust.

Josh

No Limitz

Josh

No Limitz

Got a performance map, or A/R numbers, etc for the turbo they found you? I maybe interested in getting the turbo and a couple other components through you if you would be interested in selling me some of the pieces(or maybe the kit, pending price)? A couple questions about the kit your putting together, is the turbo water cooled or oil only? Is the oil feed line restricted? Are you using an oil catch tank? Will your kit include a boost controller? Is it intercooled?

I know its a lot of questions, sorry to bombard you with them all, just things I'm considering while looking at these different kits.

Josh

No Limitz

Can't wait for the turbo kit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

good stuff it is! i just didnt want complaining about i can get it from so and so for cheaper.... but i agree if you are going to invest that much money the last thing you want is junk... at least thats not me.. i should be able to offer a complete kit for around $1800 and an inter cooled kit for around $2100

Josh

No Limitz

good stuff it is! i just didnt want complaining about i can get it from so and so for cheaper.... but i agree if you are going to invest that much money the last thing you want is junk... at least thats not me.. i should be able to offer a complete kit for around $1800 and an inter cooled kit for around $2100

Josh

No Limitz

josh send me your address dedub

• 2 weeks later...
It's time to go forward with the turbo plans. Talking to No Limitz now about getting the turbo. Dedub, you'll have to let us know how the kit looks and install goes. You get the intake too?

As soon as i get my turbo kit i plan on posting up some pictures and details about it if no one have beaten me to it yet lol.