Quantcast

2019 Coleman Outfitter (Hisun) 550 Code Reader

Tejun

On 12/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, Tejun said:

Howdy Everyone,

New member looking forward to learning and sharing more about UTVs. I have a 2019 Coleman Outfitter with the Hisun 550 engine. Does anyone know what Code Scanner will work with it ?  

Aren't fault codes (if found), automatically displayed on the dashboard? Typically with other models, it'll blink a sequence to the dashboard clock, that's then decoded to provide the coresponding code. 

But even if you find a code reader, I'd be surprised to see an OBD2 port. More likely it's a Delphi. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 5:39 PM, Tejun said:

Howdy Everyone,

New member looking forward to learning and sharing more about UTVs. I have a 2019 Coleman Outfitter with the Hisun 550 engine. Does anyone know what Code Scanner will work with it ?  

Might help a bit to know what issues you’re having, if any? If none, then finding the port might be tough. I’ve looked everywhere on my Hisun 550 and had no luck. Hisun sure won’t give you no support! Great machine when it runs.

Thanks for the Video Ridge Runner. I haven't looked to see if I have that connector yet, but from some of the responses, it is most likely that I do not. There is a code reader that is mentioned in the owners manual (will have to go back now as I can't remember name) but I've not been able to find anything on it. 

On 12/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, Randy Stevens said:

Might help a bit to know what issues you’re having, if any? If none, then finding the port might be tough. I’ve looked everywhere on my Hisun 550 and had no luck. Hisun sure won’t give you no support! Great machine when it runs.

Hi Randy,

I'm interested primarily to have a way to identify problems and ensure I maintain it in tiptop condition.  It is a 2019 that I purchased back in August and had 45 hrs run time. About a month after purchasing it, it was running rough.  I have replaced the fuel injector, put an inline fuel filter and new spark plug all of which made a huge difference. It then began to run rough again so I replaced the injector. Ran good, then starting doing it again. I noticed that it was doing this when fuel level was low so last weekend, I cleaned out the fuel tank and checked the fuel pump screen. Really didn't find anything that would indicate a fuel/tank problem though. The recurring issue right now seems to be when starting first time in morning. It will run fine while start up diagnostics are running, then when the amber check engine light goes off, it dies. Yesterday, it took a few times then ran fine and did perfect throughout the day. Probly put about 1 hr run time yesterday.

The other issue I was having was when starting it would act like it was coming up on compression stroke and starter was not strong enough to overcome. I reached out to Motorcycle Dr (eBay) and they recommended checking the springs on the De-compressor. I did and found one of the springs looked to be overwound so I replaced the Cam Gear and also installed a new starter solenoid while I was at it. It still does the same thing but just not as often now.

8 minutes ago, Tejun said:

Thanks for the Video Ridge Runner. I haven't looked to see if I have that connector yet, but from some of the responses, it is most likely that I do not. There is a code reader that is mentioned in the owners manual (will have to go back now as I can't remember name) but I've not been able to find anything on it. 

I have contacted Hisun themselves in Texas and all they will tell you is to contact one of their dealers for help, when I contacted them for my issue, they told me that they are trying to learn themselves how to work on them and they charge $125 an hour to “GUESS” at my problem.  I asked dealer about codes and how to do diagnostic and their answer was We Don’t Know....... yet?? I’m doing my own troubleshooting and luckily, mine had been fuel issues and that’s not to hard to figure out.  A learning experience but so far it’s still running ok!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tejun said:

Hi Randy,

I'm interested primarily to have a way to identify problems and ensure I maintain it in tiptop condition.  It is a 2019 that I purchased back in August and had 45 hrs run time. About a month after purchasing it, it was running rough.  I have replaced the fuel injector, put an inline fuel filter and new spark plug all of which made a huge difference. It then began to run rough again so I replaced the injector. Ran good, then starting doing it again. I noticed that it was doing this when fuel level was low so last weekend, I cleaned out the fuel tank and checked the fuel pump screen. Really didn't find anything that would indicate a fuel/tank problem though. The recurring issue right now seems to be when starting first time in morning. It will run fine while start up diagnostics are running, then when the amber check engine light goes off, it dies. Yesterday, it took a few times then ran fine and did perfect throughout the day. Probly put about 1 hr run time yesterday.

The other issue I was having was when starting it would act like it was coming up on compression stroke and starter was not strong enough to overcome. I reached out to Motorcycle Dr (eBay) and they recommended checking the springs on the De-compressor. I did and found one of the springs looked to be overwound so I replaced the Cam Gear and also installed a new starter solenoid while I was at it. It still does the same thing but just not as often now.

Wow, this is another obstacle that may hit me one day? Mine is a 2019 too and was brand new when  I bought it, 30 days later it was in shop for a month, they said it was a drivers side seat belt safety issue, I was told that they replaced the seat belt assembly and that cured the problem, come to find out, they did not replace anything.  I returned to dealer to look at their work order on it and surprisingly they lost that work order. In other words.., they lied. Took it to a local mechanic and he fixed it within an hour. Clogged injector, blew it out and it ran great for about a month, then same issue, I pulled injector, blew out the port and injector and runs great again for about another month, called  local mechanic for any advice and he told me to run premium fuel, higher octane and see if that helps,  that was several months ago and it’s been running flawlessly so far! Sounds like you having same issues, might try higher octane and see if it helps???  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Randy Stevens said:

Wow, this is another obstacle that may hit me one day? Mine is a 2019 too and was brand new when  I bought it, 30 days later it was in shop for a month, they said it was a drivers side seat belt safety issue, I was told that they replaced the seat belt assembly and that cured the problem, come to find out, they did not replace anything.  I returned to dealer to look at their work order on it and surprisingly they lost that work order. In other words.., they lied. Took it to a local mechanic and he fixed it within an hour. Clogged injector, blew it out and it ran great for about a month, then same issue, I pulled injector, blew out the port and injector and runs great again for about another month, called  local mechanic for any advice and he told me to run premium fuel, higher octane and see if that helps,  that was several months ago and it’s been running flawlessly so far! Sounds like you having same issues, might try higher octane and see if it helps???  

Fortunately, I have a gas station a few miles from house that sells no-ethenol fuel and I run nothing but premium in all my vehicles. I have the two injectors I replaced and plan to bring to the guy that cleans and tests my injectors for my Yamaha outboard. He provides a graph chart on the testing each time. It may be that we just have to keep a stock of injectors handy :(

27 minutes ago, Tejun said:

Fortunately, I have a gas station a few miles from house that sells no-ethenol fuel and I run nothing but premium in all my vehicles. I have the two injectors I replaced and plan to bring to the guy that cleans and tests my injectors for my Yamaha outboard. He provides a graph chart on the testing each time. It may be that we just have to keep a stock of injectors handy

Great idea, if those injectors are that prone to getting clogged. Maybe someone should look into getting an aftermarket injector. Then post their results here.

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, kenfain said:

Aren't fault codes (if found), automatically displayed on the dashboard? Typically with other models, it'll blink a sequence to the dashboard clock, that's then decoded to provide the coresponding code. 

But even if you find a code reader, I'd be surprised to see an OBD2 port. More likely it's a Delphi. 

My 2020 Coleman Outfitter 400 claims to do this (though I've not had any problems to test it).

It's a pretty complete list (from the service manual):

FaultCodes-0.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, cliffyk said:

My 2020 Coleman Outfitter 400 claims to do this (though I've not had any problems to test it).

It's a pretty complete list (from the service manual):

Hi, I have a Coleman 2021 UT400 and my mechanic was not able to test for codes due to the connector not being standard for his equipment. I'm having problems starting when cold, but not when warmed up.

Have you been able to find a way to run a tester, such as the Tiny TS-301 for codes on the UT400?

• 1 month later...

I just saw a video about the diagnostic port. Mine is a 2019 Coleman and he’s doing a hisun in the video but it looks like on the drivers side of the engine there is a connector. It isn’t connected to anything. The wires just lead to the connector and instead of say linking to another set of wires, this just stops. It has a plastic cover on it and you will need the hisun adapter. My Coleman 2019 550 shows a funny code every start up so I got a diagnostic tool. I never thought it would need an adapter for the jeep grand Cherokee in the driveway and a separate adapter for the Coleman UTV.

IMG_0273.png

Edited by amiracle40995
Typing error

I just posted a video about 4 hours ago about where the diagnostic port might be. Then I was around my fuse box and noticed the apart diagnostic port? Poking thru in the picture I added with this post. My code reader doesn’t fit the plug in I’m seeing so I can’t say for sure it’s the diagnostic port but it looks like 1. Grey upper right in the picture IMG_0277.thumb.jpeg.552e6e1653120b49ff4bed035a3b67f1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...