Quantcast

King Shocks

showa

Guest Lenny

I think that it would be better to follow flatbeds lead with fox shocks. Not only will you get a full 14-1/2" of travel plus you will have full adjustability of both compression and extension dampening, spring rate for rather your carrying a lot of gear or little, ride heigth and the final cost will be cheaper. From what I can tell the King shocks only extend the travel but not 14-1/2" and allow you to adjust ride heigth. However flatbeds approach is not a direct bolt on, some mods are required and requires cutting and altering the frame. a project not for the weak hearted. The results will be considerablly better. I'm sure though that the King shocks would make a nice improvement but it is pricey.

IMHO

Lenny

I think that it would be better to follow flatbeds lead with fox shocks. Not only will you get a full 14-1/2" of travel plus you will have full adjustability of both compression and extension dampening, spring rate for rather your carrying a lot of gear or little, ride heigth and the final cost will be cheaper. From what I can tell the King shocks only extend the travel but not 14-1/2" and allow you to adjust ride heigth. However flatbeds approach is not a direct bolt on, some mods are required and requires cutting and altering the frame. a project not for the weak hearted. The results will be considerablly better. I'm sure though that the King shocks would make a nice improvement but it is pricey.

IMHO

Lenny

Lenny, Flatbed's Fox install required more mods than necessary because he was adding more travel and a couple of upgrades. Fox DOES make a shock that installs with nearly NO mods, the same shock that Flatbed used with less travel. I believe it is the 8 1/2 inch travel shock. Nearly the same extension and compression measurements. I believe the only mod required is Fox uses a different size bolt dia at the mounts. Limit Straps should be installed at the same time.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Now the next question would be what damp/rebound numbers and spring rate do you all think the "shorter" replacement type shocks should have ??? The long shocks are using dual rate springs...Can this be done on the shorter shocks ???

Or are there progressive rate springs that are desirable ???

Just some questions, I am trying to see what direction I will go on mine.....I'm not too keen on the $2500 price of the Kings tho........

This seems to be one of the hottest topics out there! I've read a lot old posts and it seems that Flatbed set the benchmark with his setup. It is all documented really well and is backed up with pictures if you have the time to read(thought it is hard to follow from beggining to end). Did both you Rocmoc and Lenny follow Flatbeds lead with the same setup?? If not what are your specs? It does seem that this mod would be the better way to go after reading fully.

I went the BIG tire route first. Shocks will follow the power steering upgrade but I will be following most Flatbed's lead. I will be installing the 8 1/2" travel shock where as Flatbed installed the longer travel shock.

I just noticed the Price in the first post. WOW! I am shocked at some of the after-market prices, tooooooo many dollars!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guess I wasn't clear in my last post about rates/springs......I meant to ask if anyone (flatbed?) had thoughts on this for the stock mounted shorter shocks....I agree that flatbed did the ultimate shock job (which would have also looked cool sticking thru the hood)..........

I am trying to research which way to go and get an idea for $$$ and changes needed to the frame....Depending on my cash flow, I like to have an idea of how far I'm willing to go with this...

I have offroaded for a few years, raced dwarf cars and such but I always deffered to others for shock/spring input.....