Quantcast

Diff Flipping?

ksimpsy

Ok, so here's my problem. My clutch is gone and for the price of a new one I could get a whole new motor and automatic tranny from a junk yard. The only thing is that when I mount a domestic engine and transaxle it is built opposite than the cherry so I am assuming that this will spin the drive shafts in the opposite direction too. So to remedy the unit going backwards when in drive I could flip the riffs over I have seen this done but not sure if they will be just as good. I can only find one issue of venting but that is easy to fix by plugging the hole and makin a new one. If any one has any input on my ideas that would be great thanks.

Ok, so here's my problem. My clutch is gone and for the price of a new one I could get a whole new motor and automatic tranny from a junk yard. The only thing is that when I mount a domestic engine and transaxle it is built opposite than the cherry so I am assuming that this will spin the drive shafts in the opposite direction too. So to remedy the unit going backwards when in drive I could flip the riffs over I have seen this done but not sure if they will be just as good. I can only find one issue of venting but that is easy to fix by plugging the hole and makin a new one. If any one has any input on my ideas that would be great thanks.

I am far from the right person to listen to regarding your diff but i cant see why you couldnt flip it.What engine and tranny would you get?

Would it not be more economical to just replace the clutch? They are not really that expensive. Sure you can buy a motor and tranny for 300 to 400 but then you need wiring harness ECM redesign the fuel system custom driveshafts redesign the cooling system. There are alot more variables that go into it than just dropping a motor in it. Especially with parts that are becoming more readily availible again I don't see why you would unless you really just wanted to. You could easily replace your clutch ten times over for the cost of what your contemplating.

But to answer your original question yes you could technically flip the diff would require new mounts and then relocating the motor so that you can use the same axles or if it is too offset shorten two axles and lengthen two

I have done the numbers on changing out the engine and even getting a used deal the cost is well over a $1,000. Much cheaper to replace the clutch. The Stock clutch is only around $100, can get the exact cost if anyone gets up tight, which is much less than $1000. The work required to change mounts, wiring, drivelines & etc is huge. I will consider this change when the motor or trans fails but not for a clutch. Recommend you step up for a new STOCK clutch and install. Sorry but I am not a believer in the expensive after-market clutches.

Better yet, WHY did the clutch fail? I have found the stock clutch to be very durable. First fix the problems of failure, maybe the driver & not trying to tick ya off, & keep it simple & cheap.

Major problem will be how to have direct/locked drive out of the trans for both the rear & front drive. The present trans has a solid shaft equally transfering energy to the rear & front. A stock auto trans will be limited slip at best which means your locker diffs will not always work.

Good luck,

rocmoc n AZ

From what I was told and later found out as fact, the ring and pinion for the front and rear are reversed from each other, so put the rear diff in the front and front in the rear. Here's a link to a bunch of photos.

http://news.webshots.com/album/573862217qXWwgb

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572841867xLhWzo?start=28

Somewhere on this forum, there is a great explanation on why ring and pinion are angled and why the front can't be put in the back and back in the front, but I couldn't find it, but since you're reversing shaft rotation direction, you need to.

kinarfi

Thanks for the replies. Reason number one is I really would prefer an automatic for the riding I do through mud and hills and whatever ealse I find so when and if the auto comes out from Joyner I bet it will be a pricey item and then I won't look so foolish. Secondly I just find the whole cherry unit a gutless finicky machine that is gonna need another starter soon (third one). Maybe I got a lemon but for me the idea was there just wasn't built properly. I can get a whole running car for under a thousand from my local wrecker possibly even a v6 from a Pontiac with direct port injection. Putting a motor and computer into a buggy is nothing new all you need to do is completely remove every pice of wire that Joyner put in and replace it with what you pull from the car I will also water proof all the electrical components that I can. Now back to the diffs, kinarfi what you say is true but the only thing is can you swap the 4wd actuator onto the rear diff? I talked to my mechanic buddy and he said aslong as the gears went helical it would be fine to run backwards. I can't remember for sure but I think they were straight cut right???

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now back to the diffs, kinarfi what you say is true but the only thing is can you swap the 4wd actuator onto the rear diff? I talked to my mechanic buddy and he said aslong (as long) as the gears went (weREn't) helical it would be fine to run backwards. I can't remember for sure but I think they were straight cut right???

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you have some typo errors, corrected in blue, AND the Trooper differential gears ARE helical, check the links I posted.

Kinarfi

The diff gears barely hold up to the motor in it now. You go putting something bigger in it you might as well source new diffs. Or else your just asking to be stranded somewhere. If you are going to go that far with it you may as well sell it to me and build a Suzuki samerai or a jeep or something. Because what you will end up with is lenny's buggy. The only thing Joyner on it is the gas cap and vin plate

The diff gears barely hold up to the motor in it now. You go putting something bigger in it you might as well source new diffs. Or else your just asking to be stranded somewhere. If you are going to go that far with it you may as well sell it to me and build a Suzuki samerai or a jeep or something. Because what you will end up with is lenny's buggy. The only thing Joyner on it is the gas cap and vin plate

How much will you give me for it????????