Quantcast

Contemplating a Rad position change

Tinman

I do tons of mixed driving - offroad and carrying 4 people on my T2, and onroad at 100 kms/h.

At higher speeds, I feel tremendous heat coming from the back into the cabin. Even at low speeds, I still feel heat. Seems like there isn't proper airflow, as it's being sucked back.

It's not the heat that bugs me, but rather what seems to be inneficeincy.

Thinking of doing something lotus elise style, with the stock rad mounted at an angle under the front, and airflow bringing it up from underneath.

There's room, if I keep the rad angle at 20 degrees or so and perhaps raise the hood an inch

advantages:

at that angle, there's less mud and DUST, which is a major problem here in summer months,

2 less suction from the back ???

3 I have a half screen which folds into full when raining, which improves airflow

Disadvantages

Does it work?

Loooooong coolant hoses

Any thoughts?

The RZR's are in front. It is a much smaller radiator though. I haven't noticed any unusual heat in the Trooper. I thought about relocating my radiator, but I think efforts would more valuably spent by upgrading your radiator & going to a higher flow fan or dual fan. Dumb question but your fan is pulling not pushing right? You could also ceramic coat your exhaust.

Yeah, it is pulling. I could coat, but I'm in panama and the whole shipping thing...

I did have a 3000 cfm 16" new fan installed to replace the stock one, but here's the thing: the new motor burned out, so I temporarily installed the old stock motor with the larger fan blades, which draws much more current and is much stronger. It dropped the median temp down 30 degrees (I have a digital temp gauge), but also brought much more heat around and into the cabin. The stock motor originally overheated the thin wires and kept popping fuses in the old fusebox, which is why I changed it (and changed the crappy fusebox too). Now, until the replacement motor arrives, I have it connected directly with heavier wiring.

I'm guessing people don't feel much heat with the stock fan because it's much smaller.

The engine overheats at 240 degrees, and I was running 220 with the stock fan at 100 kms/h.

Since I have a rear seat on my T2 I have a piece of lexan covering the engine. It is connected to the frame (not the rear dump bed) thus eliminating any gap for hot air to escape between the frame & the dump bed. Maybe this makes a difference. You having a larger cfm fan should only help make the engine comparment cooler, not worse.

ONce I'm back from Canada, I'll be trying various positions for a fan bolted up front. See if it works.

Will also be adding doors, fixing the cv housings and a few other odds and ends.

All in all, everything works consistently, and my sputtering a week back is also gone, even in intense rain today

Something to consider if you move the radiator is the larger size of the heater hose. Mine had an inch inner diameter hose on the machine. Hard to find locally. I actually got mine from a caterpillar dealer. I can get you a part number for that if you need it also.

Something to consider if you move the radiator is the larger size of the heater hose. Mine had an inch inner diameter hose on the machine. Hard to find locally. I actually got mine from a caterpillar dealer. I can get you a part number for that if you need it also.

Post all you can if possible, including photos.Thanks,

• 1 year later...

image_zps8ed009da.jpg

Photo of my radiator relocated. I also should make note that it actually not the radiator that came from the machine. It's an aftermarket piece that is supposed to be used as an oil cooler. I added radiator hose to the original machine an installed this on the front. Have never had a cooling issue and it provides heat to the cab. Added fan also. Set up I toggle switch.

To be honest I don't really like the hood and usually do not have it on the machine. I have ran it with the hood and had no heating issues though. For appearances sake I'm thinking of cutting a small piece from the center rise of the good and placing it back on there.