Quantcast

What do you do when

Travis
Go to solution Solved by Travis,

AND THE SUSPECT IS..<DRUM ROLL>

The
 CHEAP CHINESE STARTER GEAR.

My dad helped me today, we tried lubing and cleaning, never worked, cleaned all the relay connections etc.

then we installed the starter, hooked everything up. BUT left the starter un bolted, and sitting ontop of the engine (ran a alligator clip from the solenoid bolt to ground), it spun up every time, closer inspection the so called  "steel" gear has kind of mushroomed on the end of the teeth. the flywheel teeth are good.

so i guess the gear was hanging on the flywheel enough to not let the solenoid retract all the way and that's why tapping the starter, NOT the solenoid would work.

i'm debating either filing them a bit, OR, i can purchase the OEM Kawasaki gear on ebay for 25 bucks. that gear should fit this starter as the starter is a copy of the original. that's what i'm hoping.

1 minute ago, T-boss 410 said:

So the metal that the gear is made from is soft? I would replace the gear if it were me, since it has deformed once already. 

appears to be, it's definitely not as hard as the previous starter gear... oh well, what do you expect for $50.

i also made sure the engine wasn't too hard to turn over... it's not. about like every other 9hp engine i've worked on.

3 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Can you just use the gear from the old starter?

I thought about it, i looked at it, and is in better shape.. but not mint shape..

but that starter was already 5 years old, i'd hate for that one to give out in a few months...

that bottom starter bolt is Heck to get to.

14 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Well, if you have the money, go for it. Glad you found the problem. That was the only problem, right?

I'm glad i found the NOS $25  kawasaki gear on ebay, cause the dealer wants North of $85.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-OEM-Kawasaki-Starter-Drive-Clutch-Sub-Assembly-KAF300-Mule-13081-2164/273909912852?epid=1323748703&hash=item3fc64d9514:g:EOYAAOSwZoBdGB7C

1 minute ago, T-boss 410 said:

I would be very interested in finding out what the cost of the gear was for the dealership, and then compare that to the retail cost. I bet we would be amazed!

I Price Checked at Babbitt's online, they want $82... and i've come to find their prices are always at least $20-30 less than my local dealership.

5 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

I can understand trying to make a profit, but that much of a profit is too much like price gouging. 

i remember when hurricane Harvey hit here in 2017, bottled water prices went through the roof, mainly at convience stores.... makes it convenient for them to take your money,