Quantcast

What do you do when

Travis
Go to solution Solved by Travis,

On 11/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, T-boss 410 said:

I would be very interested in finding out what the cost of the gear was for the dealership, and then compare that to the retail cost. I bet we would be amazed!

In my experience with repairs to my vehicles, dealerships and repair shops charge 2x-3x the retial price for parts that I can buy at NAPA's retail price.  My AC compressor $995 from the dealership, $485 fromn NAPA.  I don't buy lifetime warranty parts.  They are exactly the same  as the 90-day warranty parts, just painted a different color.  You're paying about 50% higher price that their lifetime part and they're betting you won't need to replace it.  I've never would have been able to collect on a warranty replacement on anything I've ever purchased.

• Like 1

If you have the Kawasaki Mule with an 800cc gas engine, then even though Kawasaki is a Japanese brand, that engine is a Chery engine from China.  Trouble is, most of my parts I have to eventually get from China.  Few parts are available in the US.  I've found some parts I needed for my ride on Amazon.com..  If you go there, be sure to check the sellers ratings.  One seller for Kawasaki parts had a 69% favorable vs 31% unfavorale (I look for 95% or better favorable).  You might find the starter you need for about $60.

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

I'm going to buy a new Arrowhead starter for $80 from a small engine repair shop,... I'm not taking that starter off one more time only to not have what i do work. im sick of it, i've  had that starter off 8 times in 2 weeks. i have busted knuckles to prove it. On the plus side i am now an expert on starter removal and can have it off 2 minutes, LOL!

there's got to be something not aligned right with that starter, because just a few taps with the the hammer and it starts right up.

4 hours ago, T-boss 410 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Could it be somehow binding up when you tighten it down? Maybe the body of the starter is somehow bending a small amount when you torque it down, and tapping it with a hammer loosens it enough to crank over? You said it spins fine when you tested it off the machine, correct?

yep, spun fine not bolted up.   I think this arrowhead starter ought to do pretty good from Jacks.  I was told by a friend who is a Briggs dealer that they manufacture alot of the starters and switches etc. for Briggs and  Kohler.

17 hours ago, T-boss 410 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Could it be somehow binding up when you tighten it down? Maybe the body of the starter is somehow bending a small amount when you torque it down, and tapping it with a hammer loosens it enough to crank over? You said it spins fine when you tested it off the machine, correct?

13 hours ago, Travis said:

yep, spun fine not bolted up.   I think this arrowhead starter ought to do pretty good from Jacks.  I was told by a friend who is a Briggs dealer that they manufacture alot of the starters and switches etc. for Briggs and  Kohler.

Have you checked the battery with a battery load tester, My Craftsman riding mower starter went CLICK,Click,Qruick, Qurick and after pulling al  the covers etc,etc, then checking how much a starter costs, load tested the battery and it had a bad cell, new battery fixed everything

15 minutes ago, Mackc said:

Have you checked the battery with a battery load tester, My Craftsman riding mower starter went CLICK,Click,Qruick, Qurick and after pulling al  the covers etc,etc, then checking how much a starter costs, load tested the battery and it had a bad cell, new battery fixed everything

Not with a load tester, but i have checked the voltage drop when it does click, it only drops to 11.9 volts. Which is what i get on a good battery in my rider mower when i tested it, And when it does start, it spins over easily.

The battery is new from the dealer as of March this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it ever turn the engine over at all ?

If not pull the sparkplug out to relieve the compression and try the starter, I bet it may be the battery, cable or solinoid .

Hey, I am over 80 years old been working on cars and trucks ever since I was a pup.   I rebuilt the engine on my 1930 Ford model A when I was 12, and I still got stymied with a 12 volt battery with some bad cells. and a leaking carb float valve that filled my single cylinder engine's cylinder with gasoline (guess what....gasoline don't compress)  while it was parked for a month.   I  have been learning new stuff forever.  I am not a big fan of Japanese and Chinese 4 cycle  Internal Combustion engine designs. 😒

14 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Is this a rebuilt unit, or new? Seems I remember them making starters for mowers. 

Brand new,

yes, according to a friend who is a Briggs tech, they make some starters and other electrical components for Briggs and Kohler, and also for the aftermarket seller Stens.